Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for landlord situation in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've requested to install a power outlet near my rented carport space. I meet all the requirements of Civil Code §1947.6
My landlord has said simply "no" and will not provide a reason and is no longer responding to my emails. Does anyone have experience with taking the next legal steps towards getting this done in California? The entire email thread is posted below for anyone interested. Thanks in advance. And please save your "why would you if you rent!" comments.

"Jun 20, 2020, 11:23 AM

I am in the process of purchasing an electric vehicle, and would like to request permission to install a charging outlet near my parking space.

I would like to have a licensed and bonded electrical contractor draft an installation plan and determine the cost of charging at my parking location, at my own expense. Given an estimated delivery date of 2-4 weeks from now for my electric vehicle, I am asking to prioritize this request.

The market for electric vehicles is rapidly expanding and now is the best time to begin planning for the increasing demand for access to charging equipment. The ability to provide charging as an amenity will also attract and retain highly valued, eco-conscious residents. Additionally, more electric vehicles in our parking structure will reduce emissions and improve overall air quality.

To assist in the planning of this installation, I am willing to help in any way possible. I will coordinate all appointments with the electrician and building maintenance as needed.

Please let me know if you or I need any more information before we proceed.

Thank you for your time in considering this request. I look forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:43 AM

cleardot.gif

Hi Rene.

Following up on this request. Can you confirm that you are seeing this?
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Jun 25, 2020, 12:28 PM

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi Robert, thank you for the email.

Let me share your request with the ownership for their decision and approval. I'll get back to to you as soon as hear back from them.

Rc

to Rene
cleardot.gif

Thanks very much for the update.
It may be worth noting that my parking space is very close to the electric meters so that should make it an easy job based on my research.

Aug 6, 2020, 11:44 AM

to Rene
cleardot.gif

Hi Rene.

I'm following up on this request to install an electric outlet again. I also reached out to Adam (the building manager) a while ago but received no response so I figure you're the person to contact.
I've been told this is a super-simple job and I'm seeing more and more other tenants in the neighborhood with similar setups. Attached is a pic of where my parking spot is relative to my meter and powerline which already runs right by my space.
Looking forward to working with you all on this!

cleardot.gif

AIbEiAIAAABDCKL3rsTxg_KTCSILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKDI2M2QxOTk3YzMxZDliMTY3NGM1NjBkODJmNjNhMTczNDJhNzVlNGEwAcqbt993DijmnismZjlvnXWeFwQ2

Aug 10, 2020, 9:26 AM (10 days ago)

to Rene
cleardot.gif

Hi Rene.

Hope you had a good weekend. Following up on this again. Please let me know what the next steps are.
Thanks!
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

cleardot.gif
Aug 10, 2020, 11:00 AM (10 days ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi Robert,

I haven’t hear from them yet. Let me follow and I’ll get back to you soon.

Rc

Aug 13, 2020, 10:05 AM (7 days ago)

to Rene
cleardot.gif

Thanks for the reply.
Is there someone I can reach out to directly to help expedite things? Would that be helpful?
cleardot.gif

AIbEiAIAAABDCKL3rsTxg_KTCSILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKDI2M2QxOTk3YzMxZDliMTY3NGM1NjBkODJmNjNhMTczNDJhNzVlNGEwAcqbt993DijmnismZjlvnXWeFwQ2

Aug 14, 2020, 8:36 AM (6 days ago)

to Rene
cleardot.gif

Hi Rene,

Just following up on this again. When do you anticipate you’ll hear from them? I don’t mean to nag, and hope you don’t think I’m being impatient here, but I put in this request almost 2 months ago.
Thanks and have a great weekend!

Sent from my iPhone
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Aug 14, 2020, 8:44 AM (6 days ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

Robert,

My apologies, but I haven’t hear back from the owner. My understanding is that she is having some serious personal issues at this time. Let me call her directly and hopefully I can discuss with her, since no one else can approve your request, except her.

Rc

Aug 18, 2020, 9:17 AM (2 days ago)

to Rene
cleardot.gif

Hi Rene.

Hope you had a great weekend. Any news?
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Aug 18, 2020, 9:33 AM (2 days ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

Your request was not approved by the owner. Sorry

Rc

Aug 18, 2020, 11:15 AM (2 days ago)

to Rene
cleardot.gif

What’s the reason?

Sent from my iPhone
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Rene Camacho
Aug 18, 2020, 2:26 PM (2 days ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

No reason given. They just said “no”

Rc

Aug 18, 2020, 4:30 PM (2 days ago)

to Rene
cleardot.gif

Thanks for the follow up.

I understand this issue to be not quite as discretionary as that according to California law. Civil Code §1947.6 states:
"For any lease executed, extended, or renewed on and after July 1, 2015, a lessor of a dwelling shall approve a written request of a lessee to install an electric vehicle charging station at a parking space allotted for the lessee that meets the requirements of this section and complies with the lessor’s procedural approval process for modification to the property."

I don't know if I'm the first tenant to make this request, but I can guarantee that I won't be the last. Electric vehicles are here to stay, and think it would be in everyone's best interest to get out in front of this together to figure out the protocol for accommodating these requests.

I would ask that you please circle back with the owner with this additional information. If it's required that I send a printed request by certified mail please let me know.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
cleardot.gif

9:44 AM (4 hours ago)

to Rene
cleardot.gif

Hi Rene.

Following up again on this as it's now been 2 months since I first reached out about this. I think you can agree that I've been very patient throughout and will continue to be, but I need to ask that we start to expedite things now.

As cited in my last reply, the law states that the owner has to approve this request.
So what I need to know now is, what are the steps for the "procedural process for modifying the property"?

Your link does not include the section with the repercussions of what if the landlord ignores the law. I've seen this somewhere, and I think if the landlord does not respond in 14 days then you can just go ahead and have the outlet installed.

You do need to consult a lawyer to make sure that your requests are properly documented and following the law. It also helps to intimidate them and show that you are serious

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
First off, I am a Landlord and I'd gladly let you pay for this work to be done.

However, as the tenant, I wouldn't make the effort to fight about it if they refused.

Why? Without knowing your lease terms, if I was the Landlord you have, I'd hammer you on any renewal and hold you to every unreasonable term in the lease.

So if you have the vindictive type of landlord, you may be opening yourself up to a long term headache.

First off, I am a Landlord and I'd gladly let you pay for this work to be done.

However, as the tenant, I wouldn't make the effort to fight about it if they refused.

Why? Without knowing your lease terms, if I was the Landlord you have, I'd hammer you on any renewal and hold you to every unreasonable term in the lease.

So if you have the vindictive type of landlord, you may be opening yourself up to a long term headache.

It sounds to me more like he is in a professionally managed building complex, dealing with layers of bureaucracy that prevent him from speaking to the owner. Such a place is unlikely to retaliate I think.

A lawyer is a good start, hopefully they comply without needing too many hours of work.

Reactions: Rocky_H
What Legal steps do you think you have to take? He’s the landlord, you’re the tenant. He said “no” to your request several times.

You can probably take a look at your lease but I guarantee it has a clause about unauthorized modifications.

Find a new place to rent with a more accommodating landlord or buy one of your own.
Did you read the law that I put a link to?

Update:

"Hi Robert,

I believe I responded and the answer NO from the owners.

Rc

to Rene
cleardot.gif

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I fully understand that the owner does not want to accommodate this request.

Civil Code §1947.6 is incredibly clear as to whether the approval of this request is elective or not. It clearly states that the owner HAS to approve this request. So with that being said I need to know the next steps in the procedural process for modifying the property.

It might be worth reiterating that the owner would not be spending any of their money to make this improvement happen. I'm not sure if that was clear or not.
It will also increase the value of the property, and help make the air in Los Angeles cleaner, all without them lifting a finger.
I'm shocked that there would be any apprehension towards this at all. Although not necessary, it would be nice to understand her rationale.

Again, I understand the answer to the question of whether the owner wants to accomodate me is "NO". If there is something about Civil Code §1947.6 that I'm missing please let me know. If not, please reply with the steps for the procedural process for modifying the property.

Thanks.

Yes. Did you read your lease?

If I’m a landlord I’m sure I can find something in there to maintain my position and still be within the confines of the law.
You don't seem to be getting this. The landlord is just not allowed to say no. They may be allowed to put some conditions on it of how it is to be done, but they have to say yes.

You don't seem to be getting this. The landlord is just not allowed to say no. They may be allowed to put some conditions on it of how it is to be done, but they have to say yes.
Of course they are. Even in California, it’s their property.

There are any number of clauses that can be inserted into a lease that would be grounds for denial.

Of course they are. Even in California, it’s their property.

There are any number of clauses that can be inserted into a lease that would be grounds for denial.

The EV charging law is not governed by the lease agreement.

If you read the link, you would be talking about not the conditions of the lease agreement, but the conditions which are mentioned in the law.

The OP hasn't read it well either, that's why he needs to see a lawyer.

Reactions: Levelheadsteve
Have you checked to get a quote first? You might be looking at like $5k+ to have it installed. It doesn’t apply to residential properties with fewer than five spaces, so I assume you are in a complex of some sort than, installation fees can skyrocket when they have to trench or add new service or anything. You might want to first see if you’re willing to spend that kind of money when there is a high likelihood of the lease not being renewed...

Have you checked to get a quote first? You might be looking at like $5k+ to have it installed. It doesn’t apply to residential properties with fewer than five spaces, so I assume you are in a complex of some sort than, installation fees can skyrocket when they have to trench or add new service or anything. You might want to first see if you’re willing to spend that kind of money when there is a high likelihood of the lease not being renewed...
There's a photo of my meter and my parking space in the original post. It looks to be uncomplicated

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
There's a photo of my meter and my parking space in the original post. It looks to be uncomplicated

Seems to me like you are loosing focus.

Lots of users have posted good advice about seeing a lawyer, moving, trying to get in touch with the management, etc, but you aren't responding to those posts.

Do you have some thoughts, why you don't want to move, or why you have not already seen a lawyer?

Reactions: msm859 and Rocky_H