Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for leaving car in airport car park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's hard to advise without knowing more.

First, charge your car to the % you think you will leave it at (apparently 50%) and see how much power it loses overnight. Multiply that by 14, and you have an idea what you'll have upon return. Will that get you to a charger?

Does the airport have a charger (more and more do).

Is there an off site location to leave your car that will courtesy charge it for you just before you return? That's becoming more common.

I take from your question that it's a hike to the airport, and that's why you will be down to 50% or so. Is there a location near the airport you could boost that before departure? Could you stay at a local hotel the night before and more fully charge your car before leaving?

Finally, do you have another car. The Tesla is not the answer to every question.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies gents. It’s down to Gatwick. We are staying the night before, I was planning to supercharge on the way down so it will be probably be more than 50% when we leave it. Only away for 7 days so wouldn’t of thought it would be that bad and I won’t check on it while we are away.

Have got another car but I would much prefer to drive the Tesla!

It’s 180 miles to Gatwick for us. Was going to leave with 100% and then supercharger at Oxford whilst we feed the kids and then leave it in the hotel car park from the Friday night until the following Saturday lunchtime so, it’s actually eight days.

Kinda related. Went to the airport to pickup my parents early this morning “Liverpool airport” they have Ecotricity chargers on free vend so I thought I’d give them ago.

I must have been at the charger all of 50mins and they wanted £35 for the parking as the chargers are in long stay.

Thankfully the parking office was manned and they gave me a pass to get out FOC but that was a WTF moment lol

Enjoy your trip

Belt & Braces you can change password (in MyTesla) to stop any 3rd party APPs being able to connect to the car.

I find that a bit of a PITA though .. .weeks later Wife castigates me for forgetting to reset the password on her phone APP and then, not unreasonably, she needs it.

I’ve left mine for 2 weeks twice this year at Gatwick, I tend to stop at the Heathrow supercharger on the way down. As everyone else has said, turn of always connected, disconnect your dash cam if you have one, make sure cabin overheat protection is switched off and finally if you use teslafi make sure you enable the sleep mode on the website.

I do sometimes make sure the app on my phone is not doing background refreshes as well.

It does sometimes feel like I need a checklist, but by doing all this I tend to lose 10 miles per week.

My admittedly minor problem when leaving the car for 2 weeks at Heathrow (meet and greet) is that I cannot connect to the car from my App. Maybe it has something to do with Valet being on?

Don't know about that, but I find that App connection is hit or miss pretty much anywhere! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I haven't found any obvious pattern or clues as to why.

How are you guys only losing 4 miles on a cold night?! I've seen mine lose nearly 20 miles in a single cold night... it can't be due to the always connected option or checking the app... I do that anyway, and it loses only 1-2 miles per night on warm days/nights or in a garage.

The only time I get some range anxiety (and I have a P100D) is when it's near freezing and I'm leaving the car parked outside for a few days...

My advice: max charge it!