Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for new FSD Beta drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My general advice: Resist the temptation of setting no-disengagement records! Instead, intervene every time the car is not doing what you expected: when it slows down without reason, hesitates too much, unnecessarily changes lanes, etc. This approach will provide several benefits:
  1. It will make your driving safer for you and everyone else
  2. It will not annoy the drivers behind you that much
  3. It will be more helpful for Tesla! The FSD learns from mistakes and interventions is how you mark them!
Remember, FSD is a driver assist feature, it’s not autonomous driving yet! So, use it when it’s helping you, don’t use it when it's not.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Camera button??

I think holding on to the car on the home screen is what sends the feedback and the clip of ten mins?
It’s a camera-like “Video Record” button at the top. Once you press it you will see a confirmation message.

D51A4879-48FA-4855-9677-3281260F92CF.jpeg

02966F95-6EAB-4FD2-83CB-8FF878F28B1A.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
It’s a camera-like “Video Record” button at the top. Once you press it you will see a confirmation message.

View attachment 813664

View attachment 813661
That button is present on most models in the top left, but on the refresh Model S there is no similar button overlying the map. On the MS you have to go to the “Controls” screen in Settings to find the button up top.

That’s an important point. Keep in mind that the volume of data being sent is so big that it can easily overwhelm slow Internet connection (say, if it’s around 10-15 mbps). I learned it the hard way! I had a slow Internet connection in the office and kept having problems with Internet connectivity, until I realized it was my car with the FSD Beta that was killing the Internet! :)

Each snapshot is around 480GB for me. It varies a bit, as the video can be larger or smaller based on the scenery, day vs night, etc. 2 snapshots is about a gigabyte of upload. The upload typically happens as soon as the car is connected to wifi.

Only upstream bandwidth should be affected. So something like streaming a movie should be unaffected, but if you're zooming, your video feed to others is going to be choppy/laggy if your ISP doesn't give you a decent upstream pipe.

With some router config savviness, you can throttle the Tesla's upload rate so it doesn't consume all of your upstream bandwidth.

Reactions: Phlier and DriveMe
Outside of what's been mentioned already, the only suggestion is to pace yourself. We all want to contribute to the improvement and the eventual reality of autonomous driving, but don't burn yourself out within the first two weeks. FSDb requires patience and understanding, that it's far from perfect, and AI is different from human. I suspect a few members of this community might have suffered from the TMB (too much beta) Syndrome. 😁

take your time. Report things back to Tesla as appropriate. Use caution. "things will go wrong at the worst time", so be safe.
And above all, keep your priorities in order: You paid the $12k mainly to provide invaluable real world data driven intel back to Tesla and Elon. You are paying the $12k to help them beta test their technology on public roads. This isnt about you.

Lots of great advice!

My two cents is to get comfortable manipulating speed, both up and down, with the right dial. If you feel you are going too fast, dial it down slightly to drop one or two mph or spin it to drop five. You will gradually learn how it takes turns and accelerates. Being able to change the speed will make you feel more in control, especially when you are new to FSDb. I use it to drop speed as I approach a reduced speed limit sign, adjust bad speed limit data, and as a check for uncomfortable turns.

Keep in mind it takes a while for a speed change to be recognized and acted on by the car.

so starts to rain and there is a message that will not operate FSDbeta due to poor weather, so I stop FSD beta, and suddenly the FSDbeta visualizations disappear off the screen and revert back to the basic original one.
this is on a S refresh. its in the garage at the moment. hope nothing is amiss!?

so starts to rain and there is a message that will not operate FSDbeta due to poor weather, so I stop FSD beta, and suddenly the FSDbeta visualizations disappear off the screen and revert back to the basic original one.
this is on a S refresh. its in the garage at the moment. hope nothing is amiss!?
All is good, Sun came out and also the visualizations!

Reactions: Z_Lynx
it's normal for it to disable if weather is creating problems for the camera.

First experience w/ FSD Beta
  • Version 10.12.2
  • Recd 6/6/2022
Impressions:
  1. Visualization is much slicker. Inspires much more confidence
  2. Lane following is much more refined, human-like, not too many "discrete" corrections
  3. Passes parked cars too closely
  4. Speed on residential streets is too high
    1. Maybe on streets w/o a yellow line, FSD speed should be limited to 15-20?
  5. Take off from a standstill (stop light etc.)
    1. Much less jerky/ aggressive
    2. Less lag, but still not prompt enough. Could release brake a little before
  6. Turns are too sharp, especially right turns
  7. Turns are too fast for comfort. UNACCEPTABLE, especially for right turns
  8. Accelerates aggressively on turns, especially right, not acceptable
  9. Brakes too late when approaching a stop.
  10. Does not use coasting, continues to accelerate even when a stop is imminent, and then brakes too aggressively
  11. Does not move to the side of the lane for an upcoming turn. Stays in the middle of the lane even when approaching a turn
  12. Lane change for turns too late. Missed turns and ended up on lane markers because it wasn't able to get into the turn lane in time
  13. Sometimes jumps red-lights on left turns.
  14. Unsuitable for school/ curbside drop-offs
    • Doesn't know how to split lanes for curbside drop off
    • Doesn't know how to handle vehicular traffic and ad-hoc pedestrian cross-traffic for school/curbside drop-offs
Verdict: Pretty impressive, but very far from being for general consumption.

First experience w/ FSD Beta
  • Version 10.12.2
  • Recd 6/6/2022
Impressions:
  1. Visualization is much slicker. Inspires much more confidence
  2. Lane following is much more refined, human-like, not too many "discrete" corrections
  3. Passes parked cars too closely
  4. Speed on residential streets is too high
    1. Maybe on streets w/o a yellow line, FSD speed should be limited to 15-20?
  5. Take off from a standstill (stop light etc.)
    1. Much less jerky/ aggressive
    2. Less lag, but still not prompt enough. Could release brake a little before
  6. Turns are too sharp, especially right turns
  7. Turns are too fast for comfort. UNACCEPTABLE, especially for right turns
  8. Accelerates aggressively on turns, especially right, not acceptable
  9. Brakes too late when approaching a stop.
  10. Does not use coasting, continues to accelerate even when a stop is imminent, and then brakes too aggressively
  11. Does not move to the side of the lane for an upcoming turn. Stays in the middle of the lane even when approaching a turn
  12. Lane change for turns too late. Missed turns and ended up on lane markers because it wasn't able to get into the turn lane in time
  13. Sometimes jumps red-lights on left turns.
  14. Unsuitable for school/ curbside drop-offs
    • Doesn't know how to split lanes for curbside drop off
    • Doesn't know how to handle vehicular traffic and ad-hoc pedestrian cross-traffic for school/curbside drop-offs
Verdict: Pretty impressive, but very far from being for general consumption.
I'm sure lots of people have similar feedback, but if there is a way to provide this back to an email address or form in Tesla, I'd appreciate a pointer.

I'm sure lots of people have similar feedback, but if there is a way to provide this back to an email address or form in Tesla, I'd appreciate a pointer.
You can send feedback to: fsdbeta @ tesla.com If you want to reference a snapshot you took (using the camera button during FSD Beta), give them the date/time you pressed it. Remember that your car will only upload those snapshots when you're on WiFi, and they are quite large.

It's also important to know that the car has limited functionality right now - basic driving, such as lanes, picking lanes, right turns, left turns, stop lights, and reading speed limit signs. It does not handle many other things yet, including other traffic signs (no turn on red, school zone speed limit, right turn only, etc.), and debris/potholes.

Reactions: vookenmeister@
on beta about 2 weeks. interesting. a few observations
1. It seems to make its biggest blunders like having the blue leading line appropriately showing it's going to turn left and then not getting in the turn lane or changing its mind half way into the intersection. This seems much more likely to occur when there AREN"T other cars around. seems to do better when there's other cars moving around it?
2. when driving in the rightmost lane (USA) i wish it would choose to more hug the left side of that lane. Its weird when, the right side spreads out and it wants to move the center of that whole space. Often other cars are wanting to utilize the right extra space to turn right at a corner or into a driveway of a shopping center, gas station.Sometimes its clearly used to get to an upcoming right turn lane. By sitting in the middle I am stymieing a frequently and naturally used extra lane.
2.a.. I wish it would take advantage of clearly open space on the right to get over for an upcoming right turn way sooner then when the right turn lane officially starts.

All in all , pretty cool. when something happens and I push the video cam icon, I'll do a bug report too. Is that helpful ? or does it go somewhere unrelated, unconnected to the beta analyzing team?

All in all , pretty cool. when something happens and I push the video cam icon, I'll do a bug report too. Is that helpful ? or does it go somewhere unrelated, unconnected to the beta analyzing team?
A bug report is stored locally on the car and is not sent to Tesla automatically. It's for service center techs to pull when diagnosing a problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
Thanks to everyone for their input and list of things to watch out for with FSD.

I just got FSD and love it. I haven’t driven more than 15 miles yet, so my experiences are limited.

Things I don’t like so far:
-it definitely gets closer to cars and curbs than I would.
-For some reason the car stays in the middle of unmarked lanes and other cars coming the other way are likely angry. I was near the end of a street and another car turned on to it. Luckily that car took the turn slower and moved to the right.
-The thing I find the most annoying is that it consistently doesn’t know which lane is the turning lane when there are two options. I hope that the FSD will figure that out. Does anyone know if Tesla is taking the disengagement data and using that to build maps of the turning lane? Where I am, the signs are not the best, but the roads are painted on which the car recognizes.
- it hugs the double yellow. On the other side a car was double parked and the oncoming traffic barely had to cross the double yellow. The cars in front moved a few feet away from the double yellow, but my car was still hugging it until I disengaged.

Best advice I can give is to start with simple routes until you gain confidence in what FSDb can, and can't, do well. As you gain experience with it, add more challenging situations.

Beyond that, be aware that:
  • FSDb does not recognize school zones or school busses.
  • It likely will not react to emergency vehicles any differently than other cars.
  • It does not honor "No Right Turn on Red" signs.
  • It may slow considerably, or stop, for a flashing yellow light strung across the road.
  • Use extreme caution with unprotected left and right turns onto busy cross streets - especially if there is restricted visibility to the left.
  • Be aware that the car may move toward the middle of residential and other unlined roads.
View attachment 813465
Totally agree!

Reactions: mcirish