Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for parking Model S on a very steep driveway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That red P in the instrument panel means the parking brake was manually applied, as opposed to automatically applied. The owner's manual warns not to use this method to stop the vehicle unless absolutely necessary. It is to be used in emergency situations when the brakes are not functioning properly. I assume you will be recording an Alarm that the brakes may not be working.

That red P in the instrument panel means the parking brake was manually applied, as opposed to automatically applied. The owner's manual warns not to use this method to stop the vehicle unless absolutely necessary. It is to be used in emergency situations when the brakes are not functioning properly. I assume you will be recording an Alarm that the brakes may not be working.
No alerts, and this is pressing the park button for a second or so while the car is completely stopped. It will even do it if the car is already in park.

I also notice the icon is present after using summon, interestingly enough.

Anyway.

There is a visible difference in the instrument cluster between simply tapping the park button after a drive and holding it down for a second or two. In the latter case, the parking brake symbol illuminates in red. No visual indication at all in the former.

Whether or not that actually does something different is up for debate, but it’s interesting the car chooses to visualize the two behaviors differently.

View attachment 733491
Not just the icon but you hear something mechanically engaging when you long press on P. I wish I knew what that was and if that's different from just pressing Park for sure. Like you, I used to think long pressing Park engages "extra" brakes because of the extra sound I hear! :)

The driveway was as steep as I remember. Maybe about 30 degrees but there was no issue.

I long pressed the parking brake until I saw the red parking brake icon turn on and heard the parking brake engage.

Still not sure what's so different with long pressing Park and not doing so because you distinctly hear the car do something when you long press Park.

Okay you all have convinced me that the car should hold.

Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to put two bricks at each rear wheel.

Can someone explain to me though if the car by default does not engage the parking brake and long pressing "Park" is what engages the parking brake? If I don't long press "Park," what's holding the car?
why not just...UBER and avoid DC traffic in the first place

I’m piecing together what I’ve read on other threads here, personal experience with a 2017 S, and a tear down of the model s brake booster and master cylinder here but I believe the following is accurate (and makes sense for these vehicles):

Park - (single push, with vehicle stopped and foot on brake) disengages any drive and uses “hill hold” (basically keeps the motorised brake booster engaged - which is what AP/FSD uses to slow the car just like your foot would) so the car is stationery, and you don’t hear anything because the brakes are still engaged as they were when your foot was on the pedal. When you get out of the driver seat, the brake booster resets to its default position and the electric parking brake (rear wheels only, engages).

Emergency brake - (long push and hold) is intended for emergency stops, and would add the electric parking brake into the mix in addition to what the brake booster is doing.

Pushing and holding the emergency brake when in park is just activating the parking brake before you leave the drivers seat. It is not adding extra braking force, because the brake booster will reset as per the default use case and the light in the dash will go out as usual. The light is just there to tell you why you are rapidly decelerating or hearing a horrendous noise if you push and hold the button by accident 😉

To add some clarity for those who are confusing the two braking systems on these cars:

The electric parking brake is an entirely separate system to the standard hydraulic brake system on all four corners.

The hydraulic brake system is the same as most other automatics, aside from the fact that the newer model s cars use the Bosch I-booster, which allows AP/FSD to use the hydraulics with no vacuum available (or needed) for a traditional booster.

Applying the parking brake manually when parked does nothing but apply the parking brake before you leave the vehicle.

The reason Tesla added the ability to manually apply the parking brake (basically a handbrake) in emergency situations is for exactly the reason other automatic cars will let you apply the handbrake for emergency situations… it could save you a change of pants if you lose your hydraulic system for whatever reason.

• Love
Reactions: DCEV
I’m piecing together what I’ve read on other threads here, personal experience with a 2017 S, and a tear down of the model s brake booster and master cylinder here but I believe the following is accurate (and makes sense for these vehicles):

Park - (single push, with vehicle stopped and foot on brake) disengages any drive and uses “hill hold” (basically keeps the motorised brake booster engaged - which is what AP/FSD uses to slow the car just like your foot would) so the car is stationery, and you don’t hear anything because the brakes are still engaged as they were when your foot was on the pedal. When you get out of the driver seat, the brake booster resets to its default position and the electric parking brake (rear wheels only, engages).

Emergency brake - (long push and hold) is intended for emergency stops, and would add the electric parking brake into the mix in addition to what the brake booster is doing.

Pushing and holding the emergency brake when in park is just activating the parking brake before you leave the drivers seat. It is not adding extra braking force, because the brake booster will reset as per the default use case and the light in the dash will go out as usual. The light is just there to tell you why you are rapidly decelerating or hearing a horrendous noise if you push and hold the button by accident 😉

To add some clarity for those who are confusing the two braking systems on these cars:

The electric parking brake is an entirely separate system to the standard hydraulic brake system on all four corners.

The hydraulic brake system is the same as most other automatics, aside from the fact that the newer model s cars use the Bosch I-booster, which allows AP/FSD to use the hydraulics with no vacuum available (or needed) for a traditional booster.

Applying the parking brake manually when parked does nothing but apply the parking brake before you leave the vehicle.

The reason Tesla added the ability to manually apply the parking brake (basically a handbrake) in emergency situations is for exactly the reason other automatic cars will let you apply the handbrake for emergency situations… it could save you a change of pants if you lose your hydraulic system for whatever reason.

Wow someone finally explained this in a way that could not be any clearer!

Thank you.

haha for all of us who thought we were engaging extra parking brake power by long pressing the parking brake :)

why not just...UBER and avoid DC traffic in the first place

I can actually handle DC traffic just fine. Helps to have a bit of extra power in case that's needed :)

I do take Uber/Lyft sometimes but that's mostly if I don't feel comfortable with the parking situation or I drive to a part of town that's sketchy.

Plan to buy a Kona EV next year for when I want a nondescript car that just disappears and I don't mind parking anywhere.

Wow someone finally explained this in a way that could not be any clearer!

Thank you.

haha for all of us who thought we were engaging extra parking brake power by long pressing the parking brake :)
Glad it was helpful 👍 again it was something I went in search of a definitive answer on with some detail and found bits and pieces all over the place.

The transition from hydraulics to parking brake may actually be more complex behind the scenes than I described - I.e the systems might overlap for a period of time to ensure it doesn’t roll at all whilst getting out, (to allow for hills etc) and the overlap might even be dependent on whether the tilt sensor / self levelling system is saying the car is on level ground or not! But basic premise is the same 🙂