TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Advice for Squeaky folding mirror

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jeffruby, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Member

Guys,

On my second model S- love the thing.

had the car about a month and there were a few issues that I had to bring her in to the SC. I live far away so it was a real PITA but they were good enough to pick up the car and fix it!

Nonetheless one of the complaints was that my driver folding mirror wouldn't open ALL the way until I pushed on brake. They said they took it apart but stated it was a software issue...

With last update i notice it is much better but still does it sometimes....Ive stopped caring..lol

What i hate however is opening up a 100k car to hear the mirror squeak like it needs oil or lubrication. Any tips? I don't wanna just spray wd40 on the area as i think that stuff may ruin the stainless steel? Any tips appreciated....really don't feel like bugging SC for something like this...can always live with it for 10 months..lol

2. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I had something similar with my car. I haven't had the time to bring it to the SC but I did have the squeaky issue. I took a spray bottle and added some distill water and just sprayed around my mirrors. I noticed that it was dust that caused it.

3. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Same situation with my month old S (plus the car's inability to stay connected to wifi even if the signal is strong).

Service center asked I wait for a firmware update. Did that and it seemed to help. But after a few days it's back at it again on both counts.

The good Mr. Musk tweeted there's another update coming this weekend. If that one does not fix it I guess I'll go bug the folks at the service center again.

4. ev-now

ev-now Member

If you spray anything, spray a small amount of directed silicon grease, not original WD40 it is a penetrating oil, not a lubricant. It will free things up, remove moisture, but not provide any long-term lubrication. If it's dust as @bktiger86 suggests, then perhaps blast it with air (might avoid making mud in the mechanism).

5. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Thanks for the heads up. I sprayed with some water and air to test it out. The sound did seem to disappear. I'm going to keep monitor next couple days.