Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice: MS 75D totaled, buy again or go M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dream car just got totaled: late 2016 Model S 75D. Thanks in part to good insurance, we could find a similar Model S or go for a Performance Model 3. Side note: my wife has a LR 3, so our only hesitation is having two of them. Words of wisdom are welcome...

I think it depends what you want. If you are value conscious then the P3D is more bang for the buck and has the best tech in it. But the S is noticeably more spacious and offers additional amenities over the 3.

I own a Model 3 Performance and a Model S90D, if I had to pick one I'd probably go with the 3, but I'm sure my wife would choose the S.

It might be a poor time to get an S since it seems with the 75D announcement (that it will no longer be available) we may actually see some bigger changes to the S and X platform soon. So if you are interested in the S and can hold off for a while I would. If you get the S itch, perhaps you can score a lease takeover to hold you over.

Depends on if you take passengers much?
I have Model 3, and love it.. usually just my wife & me driving.

Recently in-laws were over and we had 3 (all smaller than average Americans in both height & weight) adults in rear.

They were definitely not comfortable unfortunately. Not terrible, but you wouldn't want to do it often or go too far.
But if like me, its a 0.1-1% case, then who cares.

Reactions: ClarkJoeKent
I bought a Performance Stealth when available. If I had to buy Model 3 today, I would NOT buy the Performance because I’d be forced get the 20” wheel package.

I live in the Northeast.

We have lots of snow and pot holes. It’s no place for those soft 20” rims. And I don’t want that firm a ride for daily driving. Tires are expensive and limited. I don’t want to take a 15% hit range. I don’t want to be replacing tires every 15k miles. I need a car, not a race car for the track.

Don’t get me wrong it’s very cool looking with those wheels and brakes.

Something to consider is getting an inventory MS. Those cars can usually be delivered quickly and they usually take some mileage discounts. Not sure what is available right now, but talk to your local Sales office and they can tell you what's available and where.
Thanks, yeah, that’s where we started. Not a lot out there and they’re moving quick. Also wary of the recent 75 drop.

I bought a Performance Stealth when available. If I had to buy Model 3 today, I would NOT buy the Performance because I’d be forced get the 20” wheel package.

I live in the Northeast.

We have lots of snow and pot holes. It’s no place for those soft 20” rims. And I don’t want that firm a ride for daily driving. Tires are expensive and limited. I don’t want to take a 15% hit range. I don’t want to be replacing tires every 15k miles. I need a car, not a race car for the track.

Don’t get me wrong it’s very cool looking with those wheels and brakes.

In the time it took you to write this post I can decide on a set of 18 inch wheels and tires that would replace the 20s that also fit over the big brake kit.

It’s a mole hill and not a mountain to climb.

Sorrowful condolences on the loss of the Model S. I will say, however, that it is in fact you the OP who best knows the answer to your thread title: it is others who should be coming to you - the household with both the Models S & 3 - to learn which is the appropriate choice.
Of course, the above is pot-meet-kettle. We love both our Models S & X...but would want community input on how to replace were one to meet its demise.

Reactions: ClarkJoeKent
Sorrowful condolences on the loss of the Model S. I will say, however, that it is in fact you the OP who best knows the answer to your thread title: it is others who should be coming to you - the household with both the Models S & 3 - to learn which is the appropriate choice.
Of course, the above is pot-meet-kettle. We love both our Models S & X...but would want community input on how to replace were one to meet its demise.
I also have both 3 & S. There is no one right answer.