TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Advice: MS 75D totaled, buy again or go M3P?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ClarkJoeKent, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ClarkJoeKent

ClarkJoeKent Member

My dream car just got totaled: late 2016 Model S 75D. Thanks in part to good insurance, we could find a similar Model S or go for a Performance Model 3. Side note: my wife has a LR 3, so our only hesitation is having two of them. Words of wisdom are welcome...

2. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

If you don't need the space of the S, I'd pick the M3P over the 75D. Longer range, more power, etc. Although I'd hate the screen, lack of controls, and lack of instrument cluster.

• Like x 4
  3. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

I think it depends what you want. If you are value conscious then the P3D is more bang for the buck and has the best tech in it. But the S is noticeably more spacious and offers additional amenities over the 3.

I own a Model 3 Performance and a Model S90D, if I had to pick one I'd probably go with the 3, but I'm sure my wife would choose the S.

It might be a poor time to get an S since it seems with the 75D announcement (that it will no longer be available) we may actually see some bigger changes to the S and X platform soon. So if you are interested in the S and can hold off for a while I would. If you get the S itch, perhaps you can score a lease takeover to hold you over.

• Like x 3
  4. GeoX750

GeoX750 Member

With 2 Teslas, I assume you have home charging, but does free supercharging matter to you ?

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Kuhz

Kuhz Member

Since you have (had) both, you’re are best suited to answer your own question :). Although if you want a S75D better order by Sunday night.....

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. appleguru

appleguru Member

Upgrade to 100D! (Next week if they lower prices?)

• Helpful x 1
  7. sjg98

sjg98 Member

Depends on if you take passengers much?
    I have Model 3, and love it.. usually just my wife & me driving.

Recently in-laws were over and we had 3 (all smaller than average Americans in both height & weight) adults in rear.

They were definitely not comfortable unfortunately. Not terrible, but you wouldn't want to do it often or go too far.
    But if like me, its a 0.1-1% case, then who cares.

• Like x 1
  8. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

I would not dismiss a Model X from consideration.

That is very different from S or 3.

• Like x 4
  9. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

This isn’t even a debate in my mind. Get the S. It looks sexy AF, especially compared to the 3.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  10. ClarkJoeKent

ClarkJoeKent Member

I love this community. Thank you all for your perspectives. We really wanted our S back, but with the tight timeframe (milking a rental) and tight finances (moving into new home), we decided to go for the M3P! We’re thinking my wife will go for an X or Y down the road as we build our family, God-willing. Grateful to each of you!

• Like x 5
  11. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

Those must be some tight finances to have to settle on such a budget car.

• Funny x 4
  12. ClarkJoeKent

ClarkJoeKent Member

$10K goes a long way, my friend.

13. ASUComputerGuy

ASUComputerGuy Supporting Member

Something to consider is getting an inventory MS. Those cars can usually be delivered quickly and they usually take some mileage discounts. Not sure what is available right now, but talk to your local Sales office and they can tell you what's available and where.

• Like x 1
  14. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

I bought a Performance Stealth when available. If I had to buy Model 3 today, I would NOT buy the Performance because I’d be forced get the 20” wheel package.

I live in the Northeast.

We have lots of snow and pot holes. It’s no place for those soft 20” rims. And I don’t want that firm a ride for daily driving. Tires are expensive and limited. I don’t want to take a 15% hit range. I don’t want to be replacing tires every 15k miles. I need a car, not a race car for the track.

Don’t get me wrong it’s very cool looking with those wheels and brakes.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. ClarkJoeKent

ClarkJoeKent Member

Thanks, yeah, that’s where we started. Not a lot out there and they’re moving quick. Also wary of the recent 75 drop.

16. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

In the time it took you to write this post I can decide on a set of 18 inch wheels and tires that would replace the 20s that also fit over the big brake kit.

It’s a mole hill and not a mountain to climb.

17. Zorg

Zorg Member

I would have gone for a used S100.

• Like x 1
  18. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Sorrowful condolences on the loss of the Model S. I will say, however, that it is in fact you the OP who best knows the answer to your thread title: it is others who should be coming to you - the household with both the Models S & 3 - to learn which is the appropriate choice.
    Of course, the above is pot-meet-kettle. We love both our Models S & X...but would want community input on how to replace were one to meet its demise.

• Like x 1
  19. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

Go for S unless your wife is not letting you drive 3LR.

• Funny x 1
  20. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I also have both 3 & S. There is no one right answer.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1