Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice: MS 75D totaled, buy again or go M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the time it took you to write this post I can decide on a set of 18 inch wheels and tires that would replace the 20s that also fit over the big brake kit.

It’s a mole hill and not a mountain to climb.

So that’s $4000 worth of wheels out the window, from the get go? I’ve seen the posts of folks cramming on 18” after market wheels and having to grind down their calipers to fit. And leave 1mm of clearance. And you still won’t get max range without Aero covers on. I was just letting OP consider all the trade offs. I personally only like OEM options.

I assure you I would spend way more time than 5 minutes choosing aftermarket wheels and tires if I went that route. And I bet you would too.

If you want a car for set up for the track and live in Southern California and don’t care about the range hit, go for it.

Like I said, I bought the stealth version when available and today I’d just get the AWD. It’s not worth the on going headaches that go with owning a track equipped vehicle in the northeast for a daily driver.

BTW the OP liked my post.

So that’s $4000 worth of wheels out the window, from the get go? I’ve seen the posts of folks cramming on 18” after market wheels and having to grind down their calipers to fit. And leave 1mm of clearance. And you still won’t get max range without Aero covers on. I was just letting OP consider all the trade offs. I personally only like OEM options.

I assure you I would spend way more time than 5 minutes choosing aftermarket wheels and tires if I went that route. And I bet you would too.

If you want a car for set up for the track and live in Southern California and don’t care about the range hit, go for it.

Like I said, I bought the stealth version when available and today I’d just get the AWD. It’s not worth the on going headaches that go with owning a track equipped vehicle in the northeast for a daily driver.

BTW the OP liked my post.

The car price is down by $5,000 (not factoring in Tax credit drop + 2000 drop balancing). That pays for the wheels plus you have a set to sell or keep.

One time wheel swap versus going 1 second slower for the ownership of the car - I will take the wheel swap.

You have to change the tires at some point anyway, just do the wheels.

OEM solution is here anyways. Matter of time before its in the states. Chinese Aero Performance.

upload_2019-1-12_14-1-4.png

The car price is down by $5,000 (not factoring in Tax credit drop + 2000 drop balancing). That pays for the wheels plus you have a set to sell or keep.

One time wheel swap versus going 1 second slower for the ownership of the car - I will take the wheel swap.

You have to change the tires at some point anyway, just do the wheels.

OEM solution is here anyways. Matter of time before its in the states. Chinese Aero Performance.

Who cares if the car price is down $5000? I’d rather the choice of Stealth and non Stealth than AWD and Performance with 20”

I’d take $10,000 in my pocket and no headaches.

The Stealth only cost me $5000 over the AWD (refund check on the way), I get the optimum AWD range and I can put any wheel I want in it.

Geesh what is your problem with my informing the OP of the pros and cons of the choices. He might not care one bit about running on 20” or he might care a lot.

Ask Stealth owners what they would buy today. I bet most would go with AWD. It wasn’t lack of funds they chose to not get 20” wheels.

We have both an MS 75D and a AWD Model 3. Love them both. I think I would always want a larger sedan for long trip comfort and transporting things in the cargo area so my decision would have been different. It’s nice to have the longer range on the Model 3 over the 75D although that’s kind of an ify “complaint” and really not an inconvenience as we can charge at home or at work. For the ocassional road-trips even less so now with so many Superchargers going up and having gone up this past year and destination chargers at hotels/b&bs for overnight charging there.

If our MS heaven forbid got totalled (glad OP you apparently were OK), I’d be tempted to figure out how to wait for the next refresh of the MS. But you never know how long that will be. Would probably consider a used MS in the meantime.

Reactions: ClarkJoeKent
Alright Tesla pals, it’s been almost a week with the new Model 3 Performance and I think it’s safe to say that I love it just slightly more than my S. Besides the speed increase (0-60 in 3.3), increased range, and minimalist interior (went with sexy black & white), I’m finding myself eager to hop back in the drivers seat more often than the previous ride. Everyone has their preferences, but in my experience, Tesla has not held back on constantly improving in even the smallest areas which all contribute to an overall better sustainable transport experience. From a tighter, smoother and faster ride, to the fold down mirrors, coat hooks, and storage improvements, I’m all about that M3P!

Now, any strong suggestions on customizing? I’m considering satin wrap on my black paint.

Alright Tesla pals, it’s been almost a week with the new Model 3 Performance and I think it’s safe to say that I love it just slightly more than my S. Besides the speed increase (0-60 in 3.3), increased range, and minimalist interior (went with sexy black & white), I’m finding myself eager to hop back in the drivers seat more often than the previous ride. Everyone has their preferences, but in my experience, Tesla has not held back on constantly improving in even the smallest areas which all contribute to an overall better sustainable transport experience. From a tighter, smoother and faster ride, to the fold down mirrors, coat hooks, and storage improvements, I’m all about that M3P!

Now, any strong suggestions on customizing? I’m considering satin wrap on my black paint.

Man of action, I like!

As far as satin wrap look, here is an example.

IMG_0952.JPG

I've only test-driven a Model S and it's a great car. However, it's too big for what I want in an everyday car. Plus I love the minimalist interior of the Model 3. Everything else looks like cluttered junk to me.

For long road trips, a Model S would clearly be superior (assuming the seats are now comfortable).