TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Advice: MS 75D totaled, buy again or go M3P?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ClarkJoeKent, Jan 11, 2019.

1. iRia

iRia Member

The 3 to me would be a downgrade, even the performance one. They are just so common. I also need and use the extra room in the S.

Look for a good inventory one.

2. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

If you can wait a bit, check what's coming after Monday on the changes to S/X.

• Helpful x 1
  3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Get model X P100D ;)

4. dds28

dds28 Member

A few months ago, we were deciding on getting a second Tesla. Ended up selling our Cayenne S to get a Model 3 performance. I prefer driving our P85D more than the Model 3. I find the Model S more comfortable for everyday use and find the interior design more user friendly.

• Like x 1
  5. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

So that’s $4000 worth of wheels out the window, from the get go? I’ve seen the posts of folks cramming on 18” after market wheels and having to grind down their calipers to fit. And leave 1mm of clearance. And you still won’t get max range without Aero covers on. I was just letting OP consider all the trade offs. I personally only like OEM options.

I assure you I would spend way more time than 5 minutes choosing aftermarket wheels and tires if I went that route. And I bet you would too.

If you want a car for set up for the track and live in Southern California and don’t care about the range hit, go for it.

Like I said, I bought the stealth version when available and today I’d just get the AWD. It’s not worth the on going headaches that go with owning a track equipped vehicle in the northeast for a daily driver.

BTW the OP liked my post.

6. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

The car price is down by $5,000 (not factoring in Tax credit drop + 2000 drop balancing). That pays for the wheels plus you have a set to sell or keep.

One time wheel swap versus going 1 second slower for the ownership of the car - I will take the wheel swap.

You have to change the tires at some point anyway, just do the wheels.

OEM solution is here anyways. Matter of time before its in the states. Chinese Aero Performance.

upload_2019-1-12_14-1-4.png

7. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Who cares if the car price is down $5000? I’d rather the choice of Stealth and non Stealth than AWD and Performance with 20”

I’d take $10,000 in my pocket and no headaches.

The Stealth only cost me $5000 over the AWD (refund check on the way), I get the optimum AWD range and I can put any wheel I want in it.

Geesh what is your problem with my informing the OP of the pros and cons of the choices. He might not care one bit about running on 20” or he might care a lot.

Ask Stealth owners what they would buy today. I bet most would go with AWD. It wasn’t lack of funds they chose to not get 20” wheels.

8. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

We have both an MS 75D and a AWD Model 3. Love them both. I think I would always want a larger sedan for long trip comfort and transporting things in the cargo area so my decision would have been different. It’s nice to have the longer range on the Model 3 over the 75D although that’s kind of an ify “complaint” and really not an inconvenience as we can charge at home or at work. For the ocassional road-trips even less so now with so many Superchargers going up and having gone up this past year and destination chargers at hotels/b&bs for overnight charging there.

If our MS heaven forbid got totalled (glad OP you apparently were OK), I’d be tempted to figure out how to wait for the next refresh of the MS. But you never know how long that will be. Would probably consider a used MS in the meantime.

• Like x 1
  9. ba2002

ba2002 Member

I would get an S! ;)

But yes, I wouldn't bother with a p3d today if I was forced into the 20 inch wheel hassle.

• Like x 1
  10. ClarkJoeKent

ClarkJoeKent Member

Alright Tesla pals, it’s been almost a week with the new Model 3 Performance and I think it’s safe to say that I love it just slightly more than my S. Besides the speed increase (0-60 in 3.3), increased range, and minimalist interior (went with sexy black & white), I’m finding myself eager to hop back in the drivers seat more often than the previous ride. Everyone has their preferences, but in my experience, Tesla has not held back on constantly improving in even the smallest areas which all contribute to an overall better sustainable transport experience. From a tighter, smoother and faster ride, to the fold down mirrors, coat hooks, and storage improvements, I’m all about that M3P!

Now, any strong suggestions on customizing? I’m considering satin wrap on my black paint.

• Like x 2
  11. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Wow that was quick.

12. ClarkJoeKent

ClarkJoeKent Member

Placed my order on Saturday morning and surprisingly got a call for delivery on Monday!

• Love x 1
  13. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Man of action, I like!

As far as satin wrap look, here is an example.

IMG_0952.JPG

• Like x 2
  14. Mo City

Mo City Member

I've only test-driven a Model S and it's a great car. However, it's too big for what I want in an everyday car. Plus I love the minimalist interior of the Model 3. Everything else looks like cluttered junk to me.

For long road trips, a Model S would clearly be superior (assuming the seats are now comfortable).