Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed: Convincing Husband to Go Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think what he means by can't understand how it works is really just to say if something breaks he won't be able to fix it himself or even have any ideas other than sending you off to the service station and hoping it doesn't turn into a big bill.
Car makers have been hard at work making their cars amateur-mechanic proof. More biz for dealers. Sweet revenge, making a car that almost never needs service.

it is very hard to 'let go' of the responsibility and pride of doing things yourself

To help him feel useful, let your husband know he can still rotate the tires, refill the windshield washer fluid, maybe RainX the windows, and in a year or two change the cabin air filter. Hopefully won't need anything else for years. Eventually the brake and cooling fluid should be refreshed. Even the brake pads last a really long time if you drive nice as most of the braking is regenerative (putting that otherwise lost energy back in the battery). I've REALLY learned to appreciate not having to waste half a day at the dealer every 6-12 months.

To help him feel useful, let your husband know he can still rotate the tires, refill the windshield washer fluid, maybe RainX the windows, and in a year or two change the cabin air filter. Hopefully won't need anything else for years. Eventually the brake and cooling fluid should be refreshed. Even the brake pads last a really long time if you drive nice as most of the braking is regenerative (putting that otherwise lost energy back in the battery). I've REALLY learned to appreciate not having to waste half a day at the dealer every 6-12 months.
Watching RR’s “3 Maintenance” videos should work that out.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
I have to rotate tires soon. And add some windshield wiper fluid. I just installed some blue LEDs. Ach, the sheer maintenance overload!

I'm watching my California neighborhood go from 2 to 10 to where every fourth car is likely to be a Tesla. I used to pick them out of the background flow and sort of wave, and they'd wave back. Now I don't even see them, they no longer stand out. At the peak of the homebound commute it turns Tesla avalanche at times.

• Love
Reactions: ellienovember
So true. When I'm in LA, there are often like 4 or 5 no within a couple hundred feet across several lanes. Even out in the Antelope Valley, where I hang my hat, there is a new Tesla owners group. The T infection is spreading out from Los Angeles! :-D

Yes. you can see the geographic spread on the Tesla app under the referrals section. Mainly out west and souther cities though. Must be a weather thing

But now the probability of a Tesla being in an accident increases with the number of Teslas on the road. At some point it might be mostly Tesla to Tesla collisions, statistically. And both in autopilot while driver plays with phone. Imagine the juicy headline! I mean surely you don't think there would be none like that?

But now the probability of a Tesla being in an accident increases with the number of Teslas on the road. At some point it might be mostly Tesla to Tesla collisions, statistically. And both in autopilot while driver plays with phone. Imagine the juicy headline! I mean surely you don't think there would be none like that?

No, I don’t think there will be any like that.

I don’t doubt that there are a lot of drivers playing with their phone on Autopilot. But modern firmware on AP3 hardware is quite thoroughly reliable in detecting and reacting safely to cars in its lane, including stopped cars it never saw moving. So those collisions won’t happen.

A more likely scenario is four or five Teslas sitting by the side of the road together waiting for recovery vehicles because the drivers were on the phone on AP and the cars ran over a super pothole or piece of road debris that killed tires and rims.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
It has been a bit since I posted in this thread but I got my delivery date! 3/21/2020.

Husband is much more excited about it now. I'm going on a trip in mid-April with my family, so I jokingly told him "Don't drive my Tesla when I'm gone!" He is absolutely going to drive it while I'm gone.

I also set up my insurance as well. Since my current car is so old, I had minimal coverage. Definitely getting a better comprehensive and collision package for this one. Overall it's an increase of about $45 per month. No problem for protection!

I'm having an electrician who is a friend come out tomorrow to take a look and give me a quote for a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Another electrician quoted us around $500. I'm thinking I can get a lower quote than that based on estimates I've seen around. But it'll have to be done soon, as the turnaround time was so quick! Ordered 2/29/2020 so it will be 3 weeks exactly!

It has been a bit since I posted in this thread but I got my delivery date! 3/21/2020.

Husband is much more excited about it now. I'm going on a trip in mid-April with my family, so I jokingly told him "Don't drive my Tesla when I'm gone!" He is absolutely going to drive it while I'm gone.

I also set up my insurance as well. Since my current car is so old, I had minimal coverage. Definitely getting a better comprehensive and collision package for this one. Overall it's an increase of about $45 per month. No problem for protection!

I'm having an electrician who is a friend come out tomorrow to take a look and give me a quote for a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Another electrician quoted us around $500. I'm thinking I can get a lower quote than that based on estimates I've seen around. But it'll have to be done soon, as the turnaround time was so quick! Ordered 2/29/2020 so it will be 3 weeks exactly!
Yeah: the closer to end of quarter you order the faster you get a car it seems.

I thought I was on time use but right after I posted I checked my bill and it looks to be flat rate regardless of time of day, but increases after 600kWh. I mistook the >600 increase as peak vs off peak. So I guess it doesn't really matter.

Our bills greatly impacted (for the better) by going time of use. Matters not just for the car but other boring things like when does the washer & dryer get run, etc. It's been a while since we had a place in NJ but I recall there are plans that can make charging less costly.

Also N.J. launches $5,000 rebate for electric vehicles purchases

Cool, congrats.

Congrats. We will, of course, need pictures in a couple weeks. :)

if you have a neighborhood website like Nextdoor or a Facebook social page in your area, check around for electricians that do work on the side. I had an outlet installed for half of that and the guy basically gave me the cable for free (he did other work as well).

• Love
Reactions: ellienovember