Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed: Convincing Husband to Go Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love driving my car and I get excellent energy economy.
And my experiences with Tesla corporate have been absolutely outstanding.

I’m very happy for you. That’s the way it should be. Unfortunately, there are way too many bad customer service experiences out there and Tesla’s own admissions that they are experiencing “growing pains”, which is to say it isn’t up to snuff.
Anyone considering a Tesla just needs to go in with the proper expectations. I did enough research to know they were experiencing “growing pains”, but even then I was blown away at how bad their communications are.

I think it used to be that way, but I don't know if things have changed. I doubt Tesla says anything and the tech folks who could tell buy different models.

OTOH, if Tesla has told her that she has a software upgrade option to more range then that is telling.

Yep, that's what the associate said. I actually ordered it as the SR+ and they just have to make an adjustment to the software which they said they'll just do in transit. So the option will be there if I want to, like adding autopilot if/when I want.

Just checked my email, can't wait!

IMG_20200229_185142_442.jpg

There is ONE reason every car manufacturer is scrambling to offer an electric alternative - Tesla.

I'm 65, formally trained in aircraft maintenance and have always done my own mechanical work. After 13,000 miles this car has inspired me to sell a classic high-performance '66 Mustang I spent 20 years with caressing and feeding money to. I loved that car and never saw myself getting rid of it. I didn't even start it last year!

I can't look at an exhaust pipe in traffic anymore and not see the arsehole of a mechanical monstrosity. Seriously.
My third favorite thing after the instant torque and passing the gas stations is regenerative braking. I see all the brake lights light up as traffic comes to a stop, and see the massive amounts of potential energy of tons in motion being converted to heat by wearing the brakes - while my potential is feeding the battery. It's a different world, and I will never own another ICE car.

If you could swing it, I would opt for the biggest battery you can get. Congratulations on the student loans, and welcome to the future.

My third favorite thing after the instant torque…. It's a different world, and I will never own another ICE car.
Living in Colorado, you have probably also noticed that you have instant torque to pass in a short straightaway of some high-altitude two-lane mountain road. Your Tesla doesn't care that there is less oxygen in the air than at sea level.

Living in Colorado, you have probably also noticed that you have instant torque to pass in a short straightaway of some high-altitude two-lane mountain road. Your Tesla doesn't care that there is less oxygen in the air than at sea level.
We bought our Tesla while we lived in Colorado and the first thing I noticed was that I could not tell I was driving up a mountain. I loved that. When I gave rides to people I would ask them to close their eyes and guess how fast we were going, and whether up, down or flat terrain. ;)

We bought our Tesla while we lived in Colorado and the first thing I noticed was that I could not tell I was driving up a mountain. I loved that. When I gave rides to people I would ask them to close their eyes and guess how fast we were going, and whether up, down or flat terrain. ;)

In a lot of cases, I only realize the freeway is going up a mountain because the other cars start acting funny and slowing down, and then I look at the energy usage and figure it out.

In a lot of cases, I only realize the freeway is going up a mountain because the other cars start acting funny and slowing down, and then I look at the energy usage and figure it out.

I remember going over Loveland pass in Colorado in college in a 1970s carbureted Corolla and the 3 of us thought we’d have to get out and push. Contrast that with our Model 3 refusing to reengage autopilot after a brief passing maneuver accidentally broke 100 uphill in the Sierra at 7000ft last weekend. A whole different world.

I remember going over Loveland pass in Colorado in college in a 1970s carbureted Corolla and the 3 of us thought we’d have to get out and push. Contrast that with our Model 3 refusing to reengage autopilot after a brief passing maneuver accidentally broke 100 uphill in the Sierra at 7000ft last weekend. A whole different world.
That must have startled some folks!

Lots of great responses here. While I am not yet an owner, my Model 3 will be delivered on March 12, I've spent a considerable amount of time watching YouTube videos from other owners, researching the technology and following Tesla as a company for the last 10 years. This is a great time to buy a Tesla, they have proven over the many years that their technology is ready for the masses and purchasing now will get you great incentives at federal and state levels.

I live in New Jersey, No Sales Tax, $5,000 Rebate for a New Tesla under $55K (new in 2020), $500 Rebate on Wall Connector (also new in 2020). In addition, New Jersey’s DriveGreen Program has Level 2 and DC Fast Charger incentives and rebates available for businesses, public places and multi-unit dwellings which will drastically increase the places we can charge.

In additional to all of this, you are saving mother earth. :)

Good luck!

I often wonder what the ratio is for Tesla tire kickers that become owners vs not. I bet it's more than 90%. Just this forum alone shows so many "need-advice-on-buying" threads that ultimately turn into purchases.

I never thought I would buy this electrical appliance of a car, having been very mechanical and love tinkering on cars. I used to go through so many different aftermarket exhaust just to fine tune that "sound". Now I actually think that big V8 rumble sound is annoying. (good grief, my 5 years ago self would slap me silly after that statement - LOL)

The test drive should come with a warning and a disclaimer that reads something like:

WARNING: Test driving this vehicle will cause you to rearrange your finances and do everything in your power to have it in your garage or driveway. Tesla is not responsible for any impact this vehicle may have with your life and everything/everyone around you. Side effects include: Incessantly talking about Tesla's and green energy to anyone who cares to listen; Having the urge to go entirely green in your whole household; trade in your old ICE vehicles for Tesla's; and for car guys, the way you view cars will change entirely,

Anyway, congrats to all getting new Tesla's - welcome to insanity! :D

The test drive should come with a warning and a disclaimer that reads something like:

WARNING: Test driving this vehicle will cause you to rearrange your finances and do everything in your power to have it in your garage or driveway. Tesla is not responsible for any impact this vehicle may have with your life and everything/everyone around you. Side effects include: Incessantly talking about Tesla's and green energy to anyone who cares to listen; Having the urge to go entirely green in your whole household; trade in your old ICE vehicles for Tesla's; and for car guys, the way you view cars will change entirely,

Yes, it should! As soon as I realized I wanted one, I immediately adjusted my direct deposit accounts, combined our joint savings, joined this forum and multiple FB groups, and we spent a whole day yesterday cleaning and clearing our basement to make it easy for the electrician to install and connect the charging outlet. Once final payment is made, our savings will reset with a new goal of a Tesla roof. We knew we needed a new roof in <10 years when we bought in 2016, so by 2025 we should have enough for the solar tiles.

Yes, it should! As soon as I realized I wanted one, I immediately adjusted my direct deposit accounts, combined our joint savings, joined this forum and multiple FB groups, and we spent a whole day yesterday cleaning and clearing our basement to make it easy for the electrician to install and connect the charging outlet. Once final payment is made, our savings will reset with a new goal of a Tesla roof. We knew we needed a new roof in <10 years when we bought in 2016, so by 2025 we should have enough for the solar tiles.

Same exact experience, just a little further along as I got a 4 year head start from you when I bought my S. My wife traded in her gas-guzzling V8 for a Model X last year, so we have officially gone deep. :) We now have two Tesla chargers in our garage charging both of our cars.

A friend of ours also got a Model 3 last year and he frequents our house, so when he's around we have the complete lineup in our driveway, include my daughter's Super73 e bike and we are covered in the transportation world.(see my avatar). Also one neighbor has a white on white M3, so in our very small Orange County NY development, we have the whole lineup covered as well.

We are now in the process of saving up for Tesla Solar tiles and a Powerwall or two. This is definitely insane!

:D

Welcome to Team Blue, you're going to love it.
My feeling is that if you have a short commute you can get by on 110V for a while and decide if you want to spend the money for a 220V feed. The exception could be if you have a short time of use window that you are trying to keep within. My power is the same price 24/7. I could easily get by with 110, and really only put in the 220 connection because I already had the plug in the garage. I've only got 20 Amps, but it is plenty for my usage.

Welcome to Team Blue, you're going to love it.
My feeling is that if you have a short commute you can get by on 110V for a while and decide if you want to spend the money for a 220V feed. The exception could be if you have a short time of use window that you are trying to keep within. My power is the same price 24/7. I could easily get by with 110, and really only put in the 220 connection because I already had the plug in the garage. I've only got 20 Amps, but it is plenty for my usage.

Yes, I hope to charge at home during off-peak hours, which would be after 9pm. I still need to research some more on whether it costs more for higher volt/less time vs lower volt/more time, that I'm not too sure of.

Last edited: