Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed - how exterminate rat in car??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I missed trash day, and a bag of trash sat in the garage for a couple of days. Something got into it, so I put the camera in the garage to see if I could find it. Glad I did. Apparently my Model S is home to a rodent of unusual size (RUS).

Advice on extermination? Anyone had this issue?

This rat is a ham. He likes to mug for the camera. Last night he was running around the garage all night, and avoided a snap-trap and two live animal traps baited with moldy cheese. BUT, he got into a bowl of rat poison I put down, so with any luck he'll keep eating for a couple more days and die. One thing is sure, I will monitor my garage much more closely from here on, with cameras. I don't want to go through this again. I'll have rat traps out and a sonic repulser active at all times.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
Thinking about it, the odds are I'm not the only one with a rodent infested Model S. I would never have checked if he hadn't gotten into the trash, and I don't normally leave it in the garage, so how long has he lived in my car????

I bet if all owners put camera's down and recorded overnight, quite a few would discover they have unwelcome visitors.

he got into a bowl of rat poison I put down, so with any luck he'll keep eating for a couple more days and die.
Your rat video series has been amusing and thought-provoking. What happens when he crawls into some inaccessible part of your car to curl up and die? Will you be able to pinpoint the source of the smell?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I have had great luck with the Hoont electric trap. It ended the mouse problem in my garage. I did put it in my trunk and frunk for a few days each, but only had kills in the garage itself.

I like the trap because it beeps and blinks when it makes a kill, so I just keep it armed 24/7/365 as a proactive measure. Most traps are more reactive, and require placement, baiting, monitoring.

I certainly agree it will be horrible if he dies in the car and I can't get the body out. But its only a matter of time before he damages the car. I've got to get rid of it. I've got two electronic traps baited and powered up tonight. I went to a football game in College Station today, and its possible he decided to relocate there. I hope so. I have three dropcams recording the floor of the garage, so I'll know tomorrow if he's gone or not.

The rat must not have liked what he saw in college station, and decided to stay in my Model S. He was on video last night running around as usual. Today I closed the garage door and started my Volt's engine, and ran it for about an hour and a half. Eventually the Volt died. I'm assuming the O2 level dropped too much. But anyway, I left the garage closed for another hour, then opened and aired it out. Looking forward to the video in the morning. I'm hoping I killed it with CO from the ICE exhaust.

The rat must not have liked what he saw in college station, and decided to stay in my Model S. He was on video last night running around as usual. Today I closed the garage door and started my Volt's engine, and ran it for about an hour and a half. Eventually the Volt died. I'm assuming the O2 level dropped too much. But anyway, I left the garage closed for another hour, then opened and aired it out. Looking forward to the video in the morning. I'm hoping I killed it with CO from the ICE exhaust.

Unless you have a detached garage I would be very wary of doing this. The seal between the house and the garage is not perfect and CO can definitely get into your house. My grandmother almost died of CO poisoning a few years ago when she accidentally left her car running in her garage. Her daughter in law happened to come over and discovered what was happening and saved her.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
Maybe a better style trap, it looks like you used an old school style.. This is the one I caught that decided to live in the jeep..

Attachments

• IMG_8697.JPG
    IMG_8697.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 1,641

Unless you have an old school car or my catless WRX no way your Volt is putting out that much CO to do anything.