TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Advice Needed: I have very inflexible delivery requirements

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by goldenbyte, Apr 15, 2015.

1. goldenbyte

goldenbyte Member

My 85D was confirmed today. My delivery estimate is set for late-May, however the only time I will be in town is from June 10 - June 20. I did not change the requested date from late May to June because I didn't want to delay production and assumed they could just hold the car for me. I tried calling sales to confirm this but they said only when I am assigned to a DS could this discussion even begin. Should I not worry about it? Or try to get some notes added to my account as early as possible?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Don't sweat it, they'll work with you.

3. goldenbyte

goldenbyte Member

Alright, will do, thanks!

4. TES-E

TES-E Member

DS assignment should happen petty quick, unless something has changed.

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I am not so sure about them working with you effectively. You are lucky that you will be back before the end of the quarter. They were in a huge rush to deliver mine on 9-29-14. So make sure you have very clear discussion about this with your DS. My understanding is, due to the fact that they can't build them fast enough, they want them out of there as fast as possible. However, I live close to the factory. Your local service center may be able to assist.

My other experience was that the actual delivery date kept jiggling around as it got close. First 9-5, then 9-12...finally 9-29, which was very hard for me because of my work schedule and my commute. But they did deliver right to my house, 50 mi from the factory. That was pretty neat.

6. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Basically, they have to work with you. If they can't supply a delivery date you're present for, they don't get their money. (I assume you're doing the sensible thing and paying by check.)

7. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Tesla should be able to hold the car for you at the nearest service center. Then it would just be a matter of you getting a ride there to drive it home.

8. Terra117

Terra117 Member

Not to worry.

I had a very narrow window to take delivery.

I worried when I saw the car was in transit from the factory 21 days before we were returning to the state where we are taking delivery. There is a spreadsheet on this site and I could see people further from the factory than us were getting their vehicles in as little as 4 days.

My DS said not to worry, the car wouldn't arrive before the very first date in my delivery window, and so far he has been right. The car has been in transit for 17 days thus far, and there is nothing to indicate that it will arrive before we are back in state in 4 days.

Their distribution system is like magic.

9. cmu5p

cmu5p Member

Like magic indeed. I worked a late shift till 1am, DS sent a limo service to pick me up from my house to take me to Service Center (3+ hrs away) at 7am, I slept en route and drove my new Tesla home grinning and refreshed (in the snow). They know we are busy people and will accommodate.

10. goldenbyte

goldenbyte Member

Hello again, OP here. DS was assigned and said no problem on the delivery window. The car will be built on schedule as normal and they will just rotate it in the outgoing delivery queue to delay the pickup date.

11. msteinbeck

msteinbeck Member

I confirmed my 85D on April 10th and was assigned my DS 3 days later with Vin Assignment on April 20th. So once your DS calls you just let him know and they will work with you.

12. saladman

saladman Member

I have had mine held back for nearly a month due to my travel and purchasing a home. It's been a non issue. Picking it up Saturday to deal with work schedules.

13. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

You should be fine. I knew my delivery date was going to be close to a 3-week trip. As the date got closer, my DS wasn't sure if it was going to make it before I left. I was leaving on a Saturday and it showed up on the Friday before I was going to leave, but they wouldn't have any technicians at the SC to activate and program the car until the next day and wouldn't have a detailer in to clean it up until Monday, so they held onto the car for 3 weeks until I got back.