Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed! Is saving $12k worth having no warranty in 10k miles?

Is saving $12k worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • No

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Depends

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SD_Engnr

Mar 24, 2016
San Diego
Seeking advice, input, etc etc.

I just put a refundable deposit down on a 2014 P85DL w/40k miles. It's from a third party (vroom/TDA), and there's likely no option for Tesla's extended warranty. They did mention that when I contact finance later today, there are extended warranty options available for purchase through them.

I am seeking advice on whether or not it's worth it to pay approximately $12k less than a comparably equipped P85DL? The other P85DL that I'm comparing it to, has 30k miles, 5.5yrs of warranty and maintenance included, and Opticoat. Or another P85D with 20k miles, for around $9k more.

One interesting point, is that on 8/7/17, it was listed as a CPO on Tesla's site, and then was subsequently removed on 8/18/17. The assumption I'm making (probabky bad to assume), is that it must be decent enough if Tesla listed it as a CPO, right? The unanswered question would be 'why was it removed?'. It seemed to disappear from Tesla's site at the same time as quite a few others, so maybe Tesla was offloading inventory?

Input greatly appreciated!

That would really make me nervous. I likely wouldn't buy from the 3rd party without taking the car to the Tesla service center and having them do a thorough inspection. Third party warranties on a Tesla would be worthless I would think as you have to get it repaired by Tesla in any event. There aren't independent shops that work on Teslas.

if we are talking about the same car, i would make sure it has ludicrous, it did have the badge, but when it was listed as a CPO, it didn't have ludicrous on it.

i would give tesla a call to confirm the details but i would assume Tesla pulled the car and it was sent to auction and that is where the dealer bought it from then the car probably has 10k left of warranty/1year and if that is true, you should be able to buy extended warranty

Yes, that's the one. I don't know that the ESA is still available if bought from a third party such as Vroom/TDA.

As mentioned a 3rd party ESA maybe useless as all/any repairs have to go through Tesla, and they may not honor a 3rd party ESA!

If I were you, I would pass. I've read enough posts on cars with expired warranties and what can happen with them.

I would never buy a tesla w/o a factory warranty.

Reactions: davidc18
$12K is a pretty good savings. The battery and drive units are still under warranty for the 8 years, I assume.

So now you are gambling that you won't spend $12K in out of warranty work while you own the car. So, you would need a couple of MCU failures, maybe a charge port, and all of the door handles, or maybe 1 MCU, an air suspension issue, a few door handles, pano roof, etc. Then you just break even with what you would have paid for the warranty car. You would need even more failures after that for the warranty car to have been a better choice.

I would take the car to Tesla for an inspection prior to purchase. Make sure it doesn't have something crazy like accident damage or rat-eaten wiring (saw someone have that issue here once) or something that would void the existing warranties.

Reactions: WhiskySTL
$12K is a pretty good savings. The battery and drive units are still under warranty for the 8 years, I assume.

So now you are gambling that you won't spend $12K in out of warranty work while you own the car. So, you would need a couple of MCU failures, maybe a charge port, and all of the door handles, or maybe 1 MCU, an air suspension issue, a few door handles, pano roof, etc. Then you just break even with what you would have paid for the warranty car. You would need even more failures after that for the warranty car to have been a better choice.

I would take the car to Tesla for an inspection prior to purchase. Make sure it doesn't have something crazy like accident damage or rat-eaten wiring (saw someone have that issue here once) or something that would void the existing warranties.

That's assuming if both cars were apples to apples comparison.

The higher priced P85DL has less miles, maint. included, and condition could be very different as well.

I looked at a lot of lower priced dealer advertised P85s, and you would not believe the junk I came across--but then again, they are priced low for a reason.

Yes, I think it's worth it. Also Vroom has no questions asked return within 7 days and 250 miles right? Just take it to a Tesla store if you have concerns and have them do a full check. If they find serious issues, you can return the car. Yes I know it's a hassle with financing, but better than being stuck with a car with issues. If there are no issues, then you just got an amazing deal.

That's assuming if both cars were apples to apples comparison.

The higher priced P85DL has less miles, maint. included, and condition could be very different as well.

I looked at a lot of lower priced dealer advertised P85s, and you would not believe the junk I came across--but then again, they are priced low for a reason.

With the exception of opticoat, mileage (10k difference), and rear spoiler, they are very much equipped the same. Condition-wise, not 100% sure, but the pictures look pretty good from Vroom.

Hard to say, I myself changed my vote a few times! If the used car with the 10k warranty is in great condition, then go for it. It also depends on how much mileage you do. If you drive 40k a year, then the warranty is not as important... I've had the A/C and 2 door handles replaced on mine and I would not consider those things as "mileage sensitive".

First, I agree with previous posters, I would not buy any used car without a PPI if it's not directly from Tesla.

Main determining factor for me would be how long you intend to keep the car. If you are planning on putting 50k on it and keeping it 5 years then I would consider paying more for a car and getting the warranty. If it were 3 years and 30k, probably would be borderline, but lean toward cheaper car with less warranty.

First, I agree with previous posters, I would not buy any used car without a PPI if it's not directly from Tesla.

Main determining factor for me would be how long you intend to keep the car. If you are planning on putting 50k on it and keeping it 5 years then I would consider paying more for a car and getting the warranty. If it were 3 years and 30k, probably would be borderline, but lean toward cheaper car with less warranty.

Even if you were to keep it short term, you'd have to sell it down the road. It's been my experience that Tesla's w/o warranty drops like an absolute rock - With the car from Vroom, you don't even have the option of buying extended warranty.

Remember, Tesla only sells extended warranty if you buy either directly from them, or private party. You cannot buy a Tesla extended warranty if you buy a car from a 3rd party dealer.