Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, in a crappy situation and could use some advice. I have a 2017 Model S with MCU1 and recently needed to reboot daily. Four days ago I had to reboot and MCU screen went black and never woke back up. I can drive it, although power seems way down and I have no NAV no A/C control no music no cameras etc. Instrument cluster still kind of works. Can’t use APP to interact with car, not sure if I can charge the vehicle or not. Set up a SC appointment but it was a week away so I drove there to see if I could escalate. After talking with the SC they ordered an MCU2 but they said the MCU2 should be in in about two weeks. After reading other threads, it sounds like it’s taking months to get the part. They said my car is a safety issue since I can’t control the A/C and it’s over 100F daily. However they don’t have any loaner cars available. They offered Uber credits but am I supposed to use these for months to go back and forth to work and run errands? Any better way to get a loaner? My car is basically useless until it gets repaired. Anyone have any advice?

They may be able to do a fix to MCU1 without any wait. Normally there are two choices: Fix MCU1 (replace a board inside MCU1 that fixes the issue) or upgrade to MCU2, which replaces both screens and the computer. It may depend a lot on where you are as to how quickly the parts arrive, but I'd trust the service estimate (2 weeks) over random posts over the last few years. Often Tesla will prioritize people who need MCU2 (i.e. you) over those that feel it would be nice to have, but don't have any current problems. I was in that second category, and it took about 3 weeks. I didn't give them my car until the part was in.

If you really want the car back quickly, rather than wait for the optional MCU2, have them fix MCU1. Then later consider buying MCU2 upgrade on your time schedule.

Reactions: gaswalla
good advice above.. there are also 3rd party folks that can fix the EMMC and get your MCU1 working well - usually in an afternoon. Just not sure who is available in the DFW area.
Reminder to folks that haven't addressed their MCU1 yet with a fix or MCU2 upgrade... don't let this happen to you

Reactions: Smileysam
Thank you for both replies, yes good information. I initially brought it in figuring it was the Emmc and to have that replaced, they said they didn’t have the part and it would take 1-2 weeks to get the part. I figured if it’s the same wait I may as well just upgrade to MCU2.

Also, the charge for a new MCU2 without FM radio is now $2000 not $1500 like it used to be.

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
They may be able to do a fix to MCU1 without any wait. Normally there are two choices: Fix MCU1 (replace a board inside MCU1 that fixes the issue) or upgrade to MCU2, which replaces both screens and the computer.

I've decided to do the upgrade to MCU2. I did not realize they do BOTH screens. Are there any changes that come with the new second screen or will I see basically the same thing I see now, only higher definition and better speed?

And correction, it’s now $2250 for the MCU upgrade? Almost $2500 out the door WITHOUT FM radio!
I was told $2k without and $2.5k with the Radio. I suppose with taxes etc. it will probably be around that much. Expensive upgrade for sure. Big Toys cost a lot of money. Of course we as consumers are paying double what it actually costs them. What ever happened to Elon not wanting to make money off repairs? Lol. I bought stock solely because I wanted to "help the struggling company" at the time. That seems like a lifetime ago. 😏

ETA: The stock I bought is worth ten times what I paid for it though... so in hindsight not too bad. I wish I'd "helped" them more. 😄

Last edited:
Actually MCU2 Retrofit is a bargain, even at $2000 (I paid $2500 before taxes, no FM upgrade). Compare that with a Lexus 10" touch screen unit at $4300. That has a fraction of the electronics that are in MCU2, a single small screen, and no audio amplifiers. Other legacy manufacturers have similar $4K kinds of prices for infotainment head ends.

The screens included with the MCU2 are a bit higher resolution and have deeper blacks, but I suspect most will not notice the difference - it's not dramatic. The only downside of MCU2 is if you reboot while driving, you temporally lose both displays, whereas, with MCU1, the instrument cluster remains active. Not a big deal. Overall, I was happy with the retrofit. Made my car seem like it was 4 years newer!

Reactions: JLC13 and bareyb
But big turn of events for the positive!

So I went back to the SC to change my order to just the Emmc recall and spoke with a different advisor. He said a customer backed out of an MCU upgrade so they had one in stock that would work with my car! And better yet, they could get it in to the shop today and most likely be ready tomorrow! And even better, they are knocking $500 off the price! I can’t believe how well it worked out. Just got back from dropping it off and rode home in a Tesla supplied Uber. Luck was on my side on this one.

This is the updated pricing info. I believe the price differential for folks with AP2 and 2.5 is partly bc you also get AP3 computer (HW3)

1657067085942.png