Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed - MY Pearl White Touch Up Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, all. We've had our MY (white) for 1 month. Someone in the family has reversed into the garage brick wall. The back bumper is badly scratched - a narrow edge - 5mm wide and about 2 mm deep. 1 foot long. Anyone have advice on the best touch up paint?

Bummed.

I tried the 'pen' color matching but I had difficulty to get the pain out of it.

I prefer using a 'brush' which allows getting a better control of the amount of paint and location.

I bought this for the xpel PPF and ceramic installer so they could do some touchup before the PPF application. They did a couple of spots that were observed right from the factory. The Tesla prep also did a major ding repair on the trunk lid I saw when it was delivered but the tiny spots were missed. This is not something I care to learn to do myself. Some things are best left to the experts and I admit when something is out of my skill set.

Frugal Tesla Guy said the Dr Colorchip white was not as good a match as the Tesla kit, but easier to apply.

This video helped so much -- I was going nuts trying to use the Tesla paint. I had been able to repair chips on red multicoat paint with decent results, but no luck with the pearl white multicoat paint. Tesla's paint doesn't match and goes off during blending, no matter how long I leave it drying. I'm so happy to confirm I wasn't going crazy.

Reactions: X-Chris
I tried the 'pen' color matching but I had difficulty to get the pain out of it.

I prefer using a 'brush' which allows getting a better control of the amount of paint and location.

Does the color match? What is the year and model of your Tesla? One person at Amazon mentioned the color do not match with 2021 Tesla Model Y Pearl White.

That's a pretty big scratch and one that will be difficult to 'touch up.'

I would strongly recommend a mobile auto paint company. A good one will have state of the art paint matching system in their van, and do a great job preparing the area to re-paint. As long as there is no damage, they will probably be able to get it looking as good as new for <$300.

Tesla Pearl White is tough to match. A few years ago Tesla had discontinued the Pearl White touch-up, but I guess it is back on the market. They had tried matching a trunk hatch at the center before delivery back in 2020 and could never get it correctly, the touch-up paint was more a cream color than white. MY 2022 also came in with a small touch-up in the rear trunk hatch (my luck), color looked ok, but work looked sloppy, now on my "within spec list".

Hey, all. We've had our MY (white) for 1 month. Someone in the family has reversed into the garage brick wall. The back bumper is badly scratched - a narrow edge - 5mm wide and about 2 mm deep. 1 foot long. Anyone have advice on the best touch up paint?

Bummed.
I ordered matching paint from Automotive Touchup company, having used them many times in past. Perfect match for some tiny chips in front of my Pearl White 2020 MYLR. Comes in 2 bottle set, ground and midcoat. I already had the clear topcoat. There is a kit available from Tesla also.

Reactions: ajstan
I ordered matching paint from Automotive Touchup company, having used them many times in past. Perfect match for some tiny chips in front of my Pearl White 2020 MYLR. Comes in 2 bottle set, ground and midcoat. I already had the clear topcoat. There is a kit available from Tesla also.
Thanks for bringing up Automotive Touchup. I've also found their paints to match very well on several cars I've owned, and I'm glad to only spend $22.95 on a 2-bottle set of paint (I already have the clear coat too) vs. buying an entire kit.

The problem with the pearl and multi-coat paints is that you can't easily touch it up with a paint pen. I had this issue with my Ford Fusion in Ruby Red Metallic. Much like the Tesla Red multi-coat, there's a multi-layer paint process. I believe both Ford and Tesla use a red tinted clearcoat on top of the paint layers. The same goes for pearl white.

Black solid is much easier, and the Midnight Silver should be fairly easy as well. I've had a few long scratches on my Ford Magnetic (dark gray) and the touch up paint works really well. I found using a toothpick or cutting a Q-tip at an angle helps by dabbing the spot with paint versus brushing it on with the brush applicator.

This video helped so much -- I was going nuts trying to use the Tesla paint. I had been able to repair chips on red multicoat paint with decent results, but no luck with the pearl white multicoat paint. Tesla's paint doesn't match and goes off during blending, no matter how long I leave it drying. I'm so happy to confirm I wasn't going crazy.
So did you end up using the other one in the video? Cause I have some chips I'm looking to fix on my pearl white to