Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed: NEMA 14-50 outlet install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the electrician said "double up" presumably he meant swap out some breakers for double density ones? If that's what he meant, then that's a good way to go. Price sounds good.

The second electrician just quoted a different way of doing the work that is more expensive.

Sub-panel or no, "doubling up" would still be necessary since there must be a 2-pole breaker in the main to feed the sub. Advantage of sub panel is easier to add additional outlets later, if necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

I had 2 electricians come to give me quote. My panel is full, all breakers used. Only other heavy load is electric dryer, my range is gas. No a/c. Panel to outlet would be about 40-50 feet. One electrician says he can most likely double up and not need sub panel. Other one quotes with sub panel. Quotes could not be more disparate. 1st one is $500 and the other one is $1325. How can they be so different?

Are you using the 30A dryer outlet? If not, then you could replace that breaker with a 50A and pull new 6AWG wire to feed a 14-50 without replacing four other breakers with 2 tandem breakers to make room. Tandems are pricey.

Then, yes, you need a minimum 40a circuit. That will require 8awg for wire in conduit or 6awg for romex, and a 40a breaker in the panel.

#8 NM (Romex) works for 30A charging load, which requires 37.5A circuit rating. #8 NM is good for 40A circuit rating (60 deg column).

It's a 40A charging load (50A circuit rating) that requires #8 THHN-in-conduit or #6 NM.

Also note that your panel must be rated/listed to use tandem breakers - many older ones are not. If listed for it, it's the easiest way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Sub-panel or no, "doubling up" would still be necessary since there must be a 2-pole breaker in the main to feed the sub. Advantage of sub panel is easier to add additional outlets later, if necessary.

Not necessarily. When provisioning a sub-panel, you can redirect a couple of circuits from the main to the sub through the raceway between them and place their breaker in the sub.