Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed on First Trip with SR+ M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning a trip from Charlotte, NC to Hilton Head Island, SC next month and would like to take my SR+ M3. It’ll be my first Tesla road trip, so I’m looking for some advice. First, I am seeing 2 possible routes. One has a stop at the Columbia SC and the other has a stop at the Santee SC. Any advice on which is better? My other question is about destination charging on HHI. Has anyone been recently? I’ll be staying off of South Forest Beach bear the Sea Pines back gate.

Charlotte to Santee is only 150 miles so I would go on to Santee. As for destination chargers there are several apps such as A Better Route Planner, Plugshare, etc. that will give you this info. Also check out the place you are staying. Even a 120V outlet will do fine for overnight charging.

Not related to route planning. Give a thought to PPF (Paint Protection Film AKA "Clear Bra"),
Finding ugly rock chips on a beautiful pearl white paint after first trip was frustrating.
I wish somebody warned me at that time that Tesla paint is so weak.

Does the place you’re staying at have at least an outdoor 120V receptacle you can charge off of? If so, stopping at Santee is doable but charge to 90-95% before heading out.

Not sure where you are in Charlotte, but Charlotte to Santee on SR+ had me pulling in with around 5%. Next time I did the trip, I stopped at Columbia and then did a quick top off at Hardeeville before getting to our destination in HHI that had a Tesla Charger.

As far as public charging spots, Rockfish Seafood and Steak has two HPWCs. The others near where you are staying are in resorts.

Download PlugShare if you haven’t already. Also keep in mind the charging menu on the car now shows 3rd party L2 charging.

EFFB59F8-A30F-42F2-835F-DE922F9AB070.jpeg