Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed on Tesla vs SolarEdge inverter selection

Inverter selections:

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@h2ofun, Please in behalf of those that don't yet know to ask, please find a list of those parts/source too. I know several people that would like to do that.
Or maybe they would be safer/rather pay to add the $1,000 unit to their inverter. If you see something like that info, please post it too.
The SE inverter's EV charging cable is retail $500. Did you find that too cheaper? The EV Charging cable is keyed to your SE EV Charger and enabled at SE.

Thanks

@h2ofun, Please in behalf of those that don't yet know to ask, please find a list of those parts/source too. I know several people that would like to do that.
Or maybe they would be safer/rather pay to add the $1,000 unit to their inverter. If you see something like that info, please post it too.
The SE inverter's EV charging cable is retail $500. Did you find that too cheaper? The EV Charging cable is keyed to your SE EV Charger and enabled at SE.

Thanks
Does this work?

Last edited:

Thanks
I assume there is no reason to have to purchase the Tesla charging cable?

I assume there is no reason to have to purchase the Tesla charging cable?

Correct. Sorry. Clarification. I was not referring the Tesla charging cable. The Solaredge EV Charging feature, has its own cable with a J1772 connector on the car end. Its setup keyed to that device on the Solaredge. I have to SE inverters. Both with EV Charging option. Cables are keyed to each - 1 only. Tried swapping them. Will not work. It uses a QR code on both the cable and the inverter to key/lock them to the inverter.

J1772 connector. Simplest way to visualize this; its not a Tesla unique setup. With the J1772, it will charge just about any EV, not only Tesla.

Correct. Sorry. Clarification. I was not referring the Tesla charging cable. The Solaredge EV Charging feature, has its own cable with a J1772 connector on the car end. Its setup keyed to that device on the Solaredge. I have to SE inverters. Both with EV Charging option. Cables are keyed to each - 1 only. Tried swapping them. Will not work. It uses a QR code on both the cable and the inverter to key/lock them to the inverter.

J1772 connector. Simplest way to visualize this; its not a Tesla unique setup. With the J1772, it will charge just about any EV, not only Tesla.
Just seems if you connect a charging setup to the legs in the SE inverter, one can use whatever they want?

@zonela, I can't say Tesla vs SE. But I have two SE's on my two systems. IF you go SE, insist on the version with EV Charging feature. Make sure its ordered. Gives you one more way to charge. If they are waiting on a SE, maybe one with EV charging is more readily available, since so few people know about them.

I don't need daily, but I have three ways to charge now. Two SE's and one 14-50. Great to have options.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know Tesla would provide EV charging version of the SE inverter, and given that it's hard enough now to get them approved for using SE anymore at least in Bay Area. If will indeed be useful as my inverter is close to my garage door for charging EV parked outside. We were planning to add 2 more EVs (currently have a Model 3 AWD) to the household by end of year, but ended picking up a 2021 Mirai this weekend with the smoking deal right now since we have three hydrogen stations within 5 miles.

I'm not sure if I can just purchase the accessories @h2ofun mentioned and DIY, this might void the warranty if Tesla somehow noticed it down the road.

Last edited:
Here's my to SE inverters with EV Charging feature. The cables are about 30 feet long. You can see them run to the door and then coiled and hanging down.

EV Charge 1.jpg