Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed on Tesla vs SolarEdge inverter selection

Inverter selections:

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that is the case, I would prefer Tesla, just so that the supply chain is shorter (hopefully) if you need a replacement.
For me it is a toss-up. I know both VERY well. Pros and cons of both. I have SE on one home that has been fabulous for 10 years with no issues. Today I might make a different choice than SE, but not because of the equipment, the Israel based company that makes them has some really stupid support policies on a few things regarding software.

• Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl
Today, 2/8, I was told the exact same thing as @zonela. Tesla was suppose to install a 8kw system today but I decided to wait for the SolarEdge, mostly based on the lead's suggestion/mention that they've been having "issues" with the initial installs of the Tesla Solar Inverter. Sigh. 3-4 weeks wait is what I've been told by the lead. Was really hard watching all of my panels being driven away. Optomizers with the SE will likely be important for my setup, since some panels on the SAME STRING will have to face different directions (space constraints). Should that remain as a high priority?

Seems like the poll is still around 50/50% so not sure what to do yet. :confused:

Today, 2/8, I was told the exact same thing as @zonela. Tesla was suppose to install a 8kw system today but I decided to wait for the SolarEdge, mostly based on the lead's suggestion/mention that they've been having "issues" with the initial installs of the Tesla Solar Inverter. Sigh. 3-4 weeks wait is what I've been told by the lead. Was really hard watching all of my panels being driven away. Optomizers with the SE will likely be important for my setup, since some panels on the SAME STRING will have to face different directions (space constraints). Should that remain as a high priority?

Seems like the poll is still around 50/50% so not sure what to do yet. :confused:

You're doing the right thing. The highest priority in Tesla is time to market, they don't mind fixing a release product later after the sale. Therefore, they would design something which can do over the air update. But being their initial customer on a brand new product, the customer will pay a high price to work with them. They could be responsive, but you might have to call them often. The system would have a lot of down time. It could be a week or a month. Time lost in production is worst than you think. First, you will be in TOU plan with pge, and TOU is more expensive than Tier plan. Because you don't produce anything, so your cost of electricity will be high. You lost production, and paying higher price at the same time.

To me, getting a reliable system is the most important. SolarEdge has been around for a long time. Yes, a few years ago, they have some quality problem. But the HD system that Tesla install has a very good success, just search in enegrysage. It's like a number one choice for a cost effective installer. I have a solarEdge system. Paying around $200, you can extend the warranty to 25 years. Inverter has 12-15 years life span, that $200 is a very good insurance. Given if SolarEdge still around. Also from Tesla contract, as long as your inverter is under warranty, they will handle the replacement and labor for 20 years.

Also SolarEdge has a very big install base, if anything wrong, most likely you will get someone on forum have seem it. Other than that, optimizer and per panel monitoring using solaredge apps can help you to monitor the production as well. In theory, Tesla will do it. But given the price we pay, don't expect you will a class A service. It's very nice having all the data on your hand.

Some people argue having optimizer cost more, and more part means more failure. May be, but you don't pay more to get optimizer. To me, it a very good deal. As far as failure, I'm 100% sure early Tesla inverter user will get more problem than SE user.

Safety is another concern. Solar system using high voltage DC, arc fault can catch fire easily. I think optimizer is a greater solution to cut power earlier and prevent damage. Lost of communication to a optimizer will cut power to all optimizers, and stop all the high voltage for rapid shutdown.

For a string inverter like Delta, I don't even know how they would be able to do rapid shutdown. From Delta webpage, they need to install Tigo TS4 unit on each panel for rapid shutdown. I don't know anything about it. Someone with delta can tell you more.

Anyway, good luck.

Reactions: heytae
You're doing the right thing. The highest priority in Tesla is time to market, they don't mind fixing a release product later after the sale. Therefore, they would design something which can do over the air update. But being their initial customer on a brand new product, the customer will pay a high price to work with them. They could be responsive, but you might have to call them often. The system would have a lot of down time. It could be a week or a month. Time lost in production is worst than you think. First, you will be in TOU plan with pge, and TOU is more expensive than Tier plan. Because you don't produce anything, so your cost of electricity will be high. You lost production, and paying higher price at the same time.

To me, getting a reliable system is the most important. SolarEdge has been around for a long time. Yes, a few years ago, they have some quality problem. But the HD system that Tesla install has a very good success, just search in enegrysage. It's like a number one choice for a cost effective installer. I have a solarEdge system. Paying around $200, you can extend the warranty to 25 years. Inverter has 12-15 years life span, that $200 is a very good insurance. Given if SolarEdge still around. Also from Tesla contract, as long as your inverter is under warranty, they will handle the replacement and labor for 20 years.

Also SolarEdge has a very big install base, if anything wrong, most likely you will get someone on forum have seem it. Other than that, optimizer and per panel monitoring using solaredge apps can help you to monitor the production as well. In theory, Tesla will do it. But given the price we pay, don't expect you will a class A service. It's very nice having all the data on your hand.

Some people argue having optimizer cost more, and more part means more failure. May be, but you don't pay more to get optimizer. To me, it a very good deal. As far as failure, I'm 100% sure early Tesla inverter user will get more problem than SE user.

Safety is another concern. Solar system using high voltage DC, arc fault can catch fire easily. I think optimizer is a greater solution to cut power earlier and prevent damage. Lost of communication to a optimizer will cut power to all optimizers, and stop all the high voltage for rapid shutdown.

For a string inverter like Delta, I don't even know how they would be able to do rapid shutdown. From Delta webpage, they need to install Tigo TS4 unit on each panel for rapid shutdown. I don't know anything about it. Someone with delta can tell you more.

Anyway, good luck.

Is it $200 per invertor for warranty extension, and what is the process to do it. I would want to do for sure. Only risk is if SolarEdge goes bankrupt then they would not honor the warranty. I guess the first 10 years warranty is through Tesla (so if it fails in 10 years, and they cannot source a replacement SolarEdge they will replace with something (most prob their own product).

Solar companies go bankrupt often - been in the industry.

• Love
Reactions: heytae
Had Delta inverters in the design for my solar install coming up next month. I had them change it to the Tesla inverter. Figured that I would get any software-based additional functionality Tesla might add, plus any issue during the 12.5-year warranty period will be directly covered by Tesla. Hope this turns out to be a good choice.

You're doing the right thing. The highest priority in Tesla is time to market, they don't mind fixing a release product later after the sale. Therefore, they would design something which can do over the air update. But being their initial customer on a brand new product, the customer will pay a high price to work with them.

Thanks.

<y main reasons
Had Delta inverters in the design for my solar install coming up next month. I had them change it to the Tesla inverter. Figured that I would get any software-based additional functionality Tesla might add, plus any issue during the 12.5-year warranty period will be directly covered by Tesla. Hope this turns out to be a good choice.

Did Tesla offer you a choice for a March install? They supposedly are phasing out the SE/Delta ones for the Tesla ones now.

10 weeks with a dead inverter would be a disaster if it happened during the peak of the summer. It would cost me me about $1300 (because I'd lose the time shifting of the powerwalls otherwise it'd be about $1000 loss with solar alone).

I'm half tempted to buy a spare 7600 on ebay so I can swap it if my current inverter dies but I guess I'd have to wait for Tesla to verify it's dead first?

Even 10 days seems too long, but 10 weeks??????

Reactions: jboy210
This is already affecting repair times. My SolarEdge inverter died a couple months ago and it took just over 6 weeks to replace. The warranty repair process involved:

1. Waiting for an appointment for a Tesla technician to come to my home and take photos of the dead inverter for the warranty claim
2. Tesla waiting for the SolarEdge warranty claim to be approved
3. Tesla waiting for a replacement SolarEdge inverter to be shipped to their warehouse
4. Waiting for an appointment for a Tesla technician to install the new inverter

Presumably, if you have a Tesla inverter, any repair process will be closer to:

1. Tesla remotely diagnoses you need a new inverter
2. Waiting for an appointment for a Tesla technician to install a new inverter they have on hand already
Thanks for sharing your experience. I got PTO on Feb 9. I turned my system on and it worked great for 2 1/2 days then shut off. No solar production even though I have a green LED on my Solar Edge HD inverter. I called Tesla and they said earliest appt for a tech to come out is March 4.
Separately I connected to my inverter via the SolarEdge mobile app. I filed a ticket with SolarEdge they said my inverter had likely failed and to call tesla with the case #.
Here is the question - do you think I can get Tesla to replace the inverter in March 4. I am afraid I am losing weeks for Tesla to come out and confirm what is already known. If you have suggestions on how to expedite please let me know.
As to the OP- my SolarEdge HD inverter lasted 2 1/2 days before failing. Have not heard about the Tesla inverter but 2 1/2 days seems incredibly short to fail. Not sure it is worth waiting.

Here is the question - do you think I can get Tesla to replace the inverter in March 4. I am afraid I am losing weeks for Tesla to come out and confirm what is already known. If you have suggestions on how to expedite please let me know.

My only suggestion would be to call Tesla and ask if they're planning on doing the replacement on March 4, or just evaluating. Maybe if they're evaluating you could offer to take photos for them to see if they can get the SolarEdge warranty claim underway while you wait.

I had assumed my first appointment was to do the replacement, and it was very disappointing when the tech came, took photos, and left after having waited almost a month.

Reactions: CalMdl3
Thanks for sharing your experience. I got PTO on Feb 9. I turned my system on and it worked great for 2 1/2 days then shut off. No solar production even though I have a green LED on my Solar Edge HD inverter. I called Tesla and they said earliest appt for a tech to come out is March 4.
Separately I connected to my inverter via the SolarEdge mobile app. I filed a ticket with SolarEdge they said my inverter had likely failed and to call tesla with the case #.
As to the OP- my SolarEdge HD inverter lasted 2 1/2 days before failing. Have not heard about the Tesla inverter but 2 1/2 days seems incredibly short to fail. Not sure it is worth waiting.
Something to be said about using a local installer. I guess we get what we pay for :(

Typical of SE's recent reputation. Seriously thinking of buying a spare so I can swap out the failed part myself after Tesla confirms it's bad....if that happens.

My only suggestion would be to call Tesla and ask if they're planning on doing the replacement on March 4, or just evaluating. Maybe if they're evaluating you could offer to take photos for them to see if they can get the SolarEdge warranty claim underway while you wait.

I had assumed my first appointment was to do the replacement, and it was very disappointing when the tech came, took photos, and left after having waited almost a month.

The SolarEdge invertor should be booked now for replacement somehow as they are in shortage and replacing it might takes some time - weeks or months.

This is crazy that the home owner has to foot the bill for non production for someone's inefficient service

Why do they need till March 4th to come in and check ...

Tweet @tesla and
Typical of SE's recent reputation. Seriously thinking of buying a spare so I can swap out the failed part myself after Tesla confirms it's bad....if that happens.

Do these inverto' s break often?

Reactions: CalMdl3
Something to be said about using a local installer. I guess we get what we pay for :(
Agree - knowing what I know now and have learned on this forum - I would have much preferred to go with a knowledgeable and reasonably priced local installer vs using Tesla. Especially since I learned on this forum that had I gone with a local installer with my 3 Powerwall system - they could have applied for a SGIP rebate in my behalf that would have probably made the local pricing competitive with Tesla’s. As is I did not know that before signing. Instead every quote I received via EnergySage was more than twice the Tesla quote for solar panels. $75k vs $47k. It is too bad that local installers don’t have a way of getting the word out about SGIP rebates. And that Tesla undercuts on the Powerwall pricing.

Thank you. That is my current plan - but based on prior experience with my install trying to get Tesla to save money by not sending someone out twice is unlikely.

They are so bad with their “standard” processes. There is no learning and process improvement happening.

I don’t know why Tesla energy cannot see what Solar Edge can remotely?

The answer is someone at Tesla probably can - but unfortunately the front line folks that answer the phone have no power or knowledge of how to escalate.

To my knowledge Tesla Energy Support does not have a Tier 2 technical support?

So instead they waste their (and my) time and money sending field techs out to take pictures when the issue is known.

It is crazy and unless they start learning I am convinced Tesla energy side is doomed to money losing business. Really too bad because on the automotive side they seem to have learned how to get better in terms of service and quality.

On my project alone I am pretty sure I have spent the equivalent 65 hours on the phone with various Tesla agents.

The SolarEdge invertor should be booked now for replacement somehow as they are in shortage and replacing it might takes some time - weeks or months.

This is crazy that the home owner has to foot the bill for non production for someone's inefficient service

Why do they need till March 4th to come in and check ...

Tweet @tesla and

Do these inverto' s break often?
Agreed crazy - they have no spare parts - seems like Tesla doesn’t have a very good logistics plan. You would think they know the failure rate and should plan ahead accordingly based in new and existing installs. I don’t about often - but my lasted a little over 20 hours of production before failing.

There is no learning and process improvement happening.

I don’t know why Tesla energy cannot see what Solar Edge can remotely?

The learning was introducing the Tesla inverter. I think they can diagnose the inverter remotely, but they're required by the SolarEdge warranty requirements to physically inspect it before making a claim.

Honestly, I don't think it would be any different with a local installer. They wouldn't eat the cost of keeping spare inverters in stock, and would likely go through the exact same warranty process as Tesla. At least you can rely on Tesla to be in business for the length of your workmanship warranty. The same cannot be said for the little guys.

Reactions: preilly44