Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed on Used Tesla for Sale on AutoTrader - Local Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey so I found a 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ that has all of the options that were available when this car was sold brand new. It is loaded with the tech package, performance and smart air suspension, premium sound package, 21 rims, panoramic sun roof, performance leather interior, carbon spoiler, and rear jump seats. Full Tesla certified pre-owned bumper to bumper warranty until May 2021 or 80500K (look up details, it is amazing coverage). The drivetrain warranty goes through 2021 or 125K.

It seems like an amazing deal at $35k with having only 65k miles.

The only kicker is that it has an accident on the vehicle history report. The owner told me he was 'kissed' on the front left side of his car in a local parking garage and decided to file a police report to try and obtain a video of the hit and run. Because of the police report it shows an accident on the Carfax. The picture of the little accident is just a minor scrape above the left wheel well.

I've always stayed away from buying a vehicle with any accident on it, but this seems a little different. Will I be screwing myself if I try and sell it in a couple years? Does this seem like a good deal @ $35k?

Reactions: AtAge19
Hey so I found a 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ that has all of the options that were available when this car was sold brand new. It is loaded with the tech package, performance and smart air suspension, premium sound package, 21 rims, panoramic sun roof, performance leather interior, carbon spoiler, and rear jump seats. Full Tesla certified pre-owned bumper to bumper warranty until May 2021 or 80500K (look up details, it is amazing coverage). The drivetrain warranty goes through 2021 or 125K.

It seems like an amazing deal at $35k with having only 65k miles.

The only kicker is that it has an accident on the vehicle history report. The owner told me he was 'kissed' on the front left side of his car in a local parking garage and decided to file a police report to try and obtain a video of the hit and run. Because of the police report it shows an accident on the Carfax. The picture of the little accident is just a minor scrape above the left wheel well.

I've always stayed away from buying a vehicle with any accident on it, but this seems a little different. Will I be screwing myself if I try and sell it in a couple years? Does this seem like a good deal @ $35k?
Could be a decent deal but don’t trust what the seller is telling you or showing you about the accident. Do a ppi and let a pro tell you if it was kissed or not. Then you can decide if it’s a good deal or not. The warranty sounds great as well but you’ve really only got 15k left.

warranty until May 2021 or 80500K (look up details, it is amazing coverage

80 million mile warranty?!?!?! Wow, that's some warranty! :D

But otherwise, sounds like a really good deal as long as you do get a PPI to find out how extensive the accident damage was and/or any other issues.

This car sounds exactly like the 2013 P85+ I bought (and loved) for ~$100k in 2014 (as an inventory car with a big discount), and then sold in 2017 for $65k. So to pick it up now for $35k seems like a bargain... assuming it doesn't have more significant damage. Also remember that it's not forever! $35k gets you into the Tesla ecosystem, and two or four or six years down the road you can upgrade to a P100DL for about the same price! :)

Good luck, and feel free to ask any other questions, we're here to help.

Hey I appreciate everyone's advice and will let everyone know if I end up purchasing this Tesla! I'm sure this has been covered before, but is there a list anywhere of reputable PPI mechanics that are knowledgable with Tesla? The one I'm looking at is in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and assume there are some good PPI companies.

Reactions: AtAge19