Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed: used MX vs brandnew 2020 Raven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new customer to Tesla and ordered an MX 7Raven for us as a total ICE replacement for the family and our only car. We would normally take delivery in May.

Today greentheonly published his delivery experience and compared his new MX to his old 2017 X 100D. green (@greentheonly) | Twitter

From what I read out there he was rather dissatisfied with what You get now compared to a last purchase years ago. I always thought that there is a tremendous increase in build quality, interior and driving experience when You compare a 2017 to 2020 MX

What are Your thoughts?
Would You rather advice me to look for a CPO e.g. from 2018 rather than a brand new Raven e.g. because of finishing being better or because of a price advantage?

We are buying the MX for a period of 7 ys use with the small kids aged 4,7,9 and are paying cash/financing it.

Thank You keep safe and healthy!

Here in Germany the problem is to get a reasonable priced CPO X 7 seater. There are only few available and the price drop is small - 2017 MX is around 75k€ with 55k km. Whereas a new MX comes 99k € now. But 24k€ less for a 3year old car I dont know...

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
Raven is more efficient on longer trips and has suspension sensors and different shocks. Otherwise similar to the non-raven variant. You have to make the decision based on needs/wants. More over, check which MCU is in the 3-year old Model X. One other consideration is what else has Tesla changed in 3 years that can affect future capability via SW updates.

Reactions: MattUNI
I'd say the one thing older MX vehicles have that our brand new 7 seater 2020 does not is that the 2nd row seats would mechanically tilt forward quite nicely with multiple carseats in them, providing pretty good access to the 3rd row.

Now that they manually slide forward and tilt forward (vs tilting/lifting forward as one full unit like the older models), we basically have little to no space to get to the 3rd row with 2 car seats in the middle row as the car seats basically limit the range immensely.

The cargo space is better with that new design, but I'm now really wishing we would have spent the $3,500 extra for a 6 seater to make that 3rd row access substantially better.

Outside of that, getting all of the much newer tech and performance still made the 2020 an easy decision for us.

I'd say the one thing older MX vehicles have that our brand new 7 seater 2020 does not is that the 2nd row seats would mechanically tilt forward quite nicely with multiple carseats in them, providing pretty good access to the 3rd row.

Now that they manually slide forward and tilt forward (vs tilting/lifting forward as one full unit like the older models), we basically have little to no space to get to the 3rd row with 2 car seats in the middle row as the car seats basically limit the range immensely.

The cargo space is better with that new design, but I'm now really wishing we would have spent the $3,500 extra for a 6 seater to make that 3rd row access substantially better.

Outside of that, getting all of the much newer tech and performance still made the 2020 an easy decision for us.

I would agree that the six seat (unless absolutely want) is a better config than the 7 seat. Keep in mind the six seats do not fold flat, so if that is a requirement, then the 5 or 7 may be desired. I seldom use the 2 rear seats in my 6 seater.

• Informative
Reactions: MattUNI
Here in Germany the problem is to get a reasonable priced CPO X 7 seater. There are only few available and the price drop is small - 2017 MX is around 75k€ with 55k km. Whereas a new MX comes 99k € now. But 24k€ less for a 3year old car I dont know...

If the money is not a deal killer, I would strongly consider the new car.

Tesla continuously improved their cars constantly, and sometimes does so in ways that cannot be or easily be retrofitted to older cars. Going back to 2017, this means the MCU that controls the displays and other features is V1. This means the displays in the car are slower such as moving map, control displays in front of driver; and also does not support features like full entertainment options.

There will also be limitations on the functionality of the AP system. My 2018 car has the V2 MCU, but does not have the V3 AP so I do not get things like traffic light, bicycle, and cone depictions and some AP operations.

When I get into my wife's 2020 M3 I grit my teeth as some of the AP features. But I remember my lease expires in 2021, and then I will get a 2021 Model X with more features than her old 2020 M3.

Last edited:
I'd normally recommend new, but the used prices have dropped significantly.

P100D X 7 seater with FSD and 22s for $69,100. Pair it with the $2500 MCU upgrade and you have a great family car that can go 0-60 in 2.8.

2016 Model X | Tesla

Agreed. The end of 2016 models are a great price. However that one linked has 60k miles which only gets the 2yr warranty. There are 2 P100Ds for 3k more that are under 50k miles so they have the 4yr warranty
2016 Model X | Tesla
2016 Model X | Tesla

Unfortunately guys I´m living in Germany, so I´m not able to grab one of these. Here similar models are priced around 10k$ higher, and we don´t even have an official information from Tesla that MCU Upgrade is being offered in Germany (and no price either).

I'd normally recommend new, but the used prices have dropped significantly.

P100D X 7 seater with FSD and 22s for $69,100. Pair it with the $2500 MCU upgrade and you have a great family car that can go 0-60 in 2.8.

2016 Model X | Tesla

You may find that Tesla does not permit FSD to be sold or transferred to a new owner. The level 3 hardware remains, but the software is Tesla's intellectual property. It may be de-featured when you purchase the car and transfer the ownership. So add another $7-8,000 to the used model. Get clarification, if buying from directly Tesla.

You may find that Tesla does not permit FSD to be sold or transferred to a new owner. The level 3 hardware remains, but the software is Tesla's intellectual property. It may be de-featured when you purchase the car and transfer the ownership. So add another $7-8,000 to the used model. Get clarification, if buying from directly Tesla.

These are coming from Tesla, and "full self drive capability" is the verbiage Tesla uses for the fsd option. Since it's direct from Tesla and is listed with the option, they wouldn't be able to take it away easily and make you pay another $7k.

There is no mention of FSD non-transferability. Only the supercharging is non transferable. But even on the new vehicles its non transferable.

26-30% price drop for an under 20K miles 90D with FSD, free supercharging, 50K mile warranty from when you take delivery is a sound choice