Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed, weird noise appeared

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if the 31-03 was the same transfer box with a different flange but the 31-01 was a unit offered by BW that Tesla brought the entire production and rights to so BW cannot even sell you parts if they wanted to. I would love to see the 2 together. If you need new gears cut PM me as I used to cut them for Prodrive back when I lived in the UK. I may still be able to find someone who can still do it.

@Mark77a , yes I saw this document, but unfortunately noone but Tesla can buy parts from BW :(

I was wondering if the 31-03 was the same transfer box with a different flange but the 31-01 was a unit offered by BW that Tesla brought the entire production and rights to so BW cannot even sell you parts if they wanted to. I would love to see the 2 together. If you need new gears cut PM me as I used to cut them for Prodrive back when I lived in the UK. I may still be able to find someone who can still do it.

X.l.r.8 Thanks for the precisions, that explains many things. My friend won't have free time until june, so the car will not be repaired before. I'll PM you ass soon as the bow will be opened, if there are pieces we cannot figure out how to replace. Thanks a lot for your offer ;)

I now basically have a month to prepare the repair, so I might also try to rework the insulation of the PEM, and change 2-3 pieces as we're at it.

I'll update the thread accordingly

Best regards ;)

Some update to my story.

I found out that some alternative solution does exist to rebuild the transmission (at least in europe). There's a German society that already repaired 5 Roadster with this problem. Basically, the process is the following : you go to a Tesla Service center to have the motor / transmission dismounted, and then you send the unit to SEW. They open and replace all the gears inside, and send send this back to be remounted by Tesla. One guy on a german forum told that the complete cost was about 2600€ , to be compared to 13000€ for getting a replacement from Tesla. The rebuild comes with a 24 month warranty from SEW.

you can read some interesting things on this thread (german / english)

Neue Lager für meinen Roadster/New bearings for my Roadster • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde

I'm currently trying to contact the Stuttgart SeC to know of they still collaborate with SEW but no answer so far, patience is a virtue.

Weirdly, since last Friday, my car does not make noise anymore. At least, juste a very little noise that might be normal as it would be covered if I put the radio on. A possibility is that maybe the oil change finally had an effect and now it works better inside the box. I'm glad it could give me more time to save money and I'll make the repair a bit later, with more time to prepare it.

Best regards :)