Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed - would you request new VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NC_shiek

Feb 6, 2021
NC
So after putting in an order on Monday for a white/black, LR, standard wheels MY, was assigned a VIN on Wednesday and scheduled pickup on Friday of the same week. Went in for pickup and noticed 3 big issues, the right headlight had a serious lip on it at the hood, left one was flush, chip in the glass roof where it meets the front driver corner and a chunk of black goo emerging from the glass roof over the driver side pillar. Everything else seemed ok, light scratches on the hood probably could get buffed.

Sales rep said to leave it and let them check the next day if they have another glass roof replacement and they would do what they could on the light. While I spent the next 30 min walking the lot waiting for my Uber I looked at other MYs and everyone of them had flush headlights.

Should I just ask for a new VIN, have not paid and am in no rush. I’m worried about the roof being replaced...

So after putting in an order on Monday for a white/black, LR, standard wheels MY, was assigned a VIN on Wednesday and scheduled pickup on Friday of the same week. Went in for pickup and noticed 3 big issues, the right headlight had a serious lip on it at the hood, left one was flush, chip in the glass roof where it meets the front driver corner and a chunk of black goo emerging from the glass roof over the driver side pillar. Everything else seemed ok, light scratches on the hood probably could get buffed.

Sales rep said to leave it and let them check the next day if they have another glass roof replacement and they would do what they could on the light. While I spent the next 30 min walking the lot waiting for my Uber I looked at other MYs and everyone of them had flush headlights.

Should I just ask for a new VIN, have not paid and am in no rush. I’m worried about the roof being replaced...

yep! I would ask for another VIN.

Get a new car! I had the following issues: 20 paint blemishes, alignment off, windshield noise, driver side outside mirror would not adjust, cracked black trim piece by driver side outside mirror, leached/drip marks inside headlight, headliner needed replacement... I have had the car since 12/11/2020 and it has spent 21 days in the shop. Don't take home a luxury car that isn't perfect!

Reactions: WiseShepherd
[QUOTE="NC_shiek, post: 5317980, member: 155471Should I just ask for a new VIN, have not paid and am in no rush. I’m worried about the roof being replaced...[/QUOTE]

If you're in no rush, I'd reject the car. There will be another. It all depends on what you can live with. I had some issues, but none that were deal breakers...and nearly all of the fit/finish issues were repaired either on the spot, during pick up, before acceptance, or right after with a service appointment.