TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by JayJ, Aug 18, 2018.

1. JayJ

JayJ Member

I live in a condo with a detached garage and the electric panel is in the main building. Long story short installing a line for the M3 isn’t possible without huge expense and permissions from a neighbor to go through his garage first. I only have a normal 110 outlet in the garage. I do pass a Tesla supercharger on my way home that I could charge there a few times a week since I won’t be able to charge much in my garage. I commute about 70 miles a day. I can’t decide if I should try that or just forgo the M3. What do you think? Any recommendations?

2. alpinebum1

alpinebum1 Member

Can you convert the outlet in the garage to a 240V Nema 5-20? Check and see if the wire is 12awg. Also see if there are other outlets on that circuit.

3. JayJ

JayJ Member

I will check. All the garages are part of the condo common property that is paid by the association so I don’t have any panel that’s mine.

4. kev1n

kev1n Member

if you can't get a 240 installed. I would honestly forgo the model 3, that's just too inconvenient to have to make supercharger stops on your daily commute in my opinion.

• Disagree x 1
  5. idaten

idaten Member

Charging at 5rmph is 14 hours (for 70 miles). That's a lot of time for the car to be unavailable on daily average. If you can charge at work though, its a piece of cake. The Bay Are is full of people doing exactly that.

6. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

You have power in the garage, yes. Then simply trickle charge overnight. You’ll be able to replace most, if not all of those 70 miles each day.

Opportunity charge when out and about and use Superchargers for long distance travel.

There’s no need to Supercharge multiple times a week with only a 70 mile day commute.

• Disagree x 1