Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a condo with a detached garage and the electric panel is in the main building. Long story short installing a line for the M3 isn’t possible without huge expense and permissions from a neighbor to go through his garage first. I only have a normal 110 outlet in the garage. I do pass a Tesla supercharger on my way home that I could charge there a few times a week since I won’t be able to charge much in my garage. I commute about 70 miles a day. I can’t decide if I should try that or just forgo the M3. What do you think? Any recommendations?

I live in a condo with a detached garage and the electric panel is in the main building. Long story short installing a line for the M3 isn’t possible without huge expense and permissions from a neighbor to go through his garage first. I only have a normal 110 outlet in the garage. I do pass a Tesla supercharger on my way home that I could charge there a few times a week since I won’t be able to charge much in my garage. I commute about 70 miles a day. I can’t decide if I should try that or just forgo the M3. What do you think? Any recommendations?
Can you convert the outlet in the garage to a 240V Nema 5-20? Check and see if the wire is 12awg. Also see if there are other outlets on that circuit.

Charging at 5rmph is 14 hours (for 70 miles). That's a lot of time for the car to be unavailable on daily average. If you can charge at work though, its a piece of cake. The Bay Are is full of people doing exactly that.

You have power in the garage, yes. Then simply trickle charge overnight. You’ll be able to replace most, if not all of those 70 miles each day.

Opportunity charge when out and about and use Superchargers for long distance travel.

There’s no need to Supercharge multiple times a week with only a 70 mile day commute.

• Disagree
Reactions: kev1n