Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed

Demo or new?

• Demo MSM for 50,700

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • New black for 50,200

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

So I called the Short Hills store on Thursday last week to try and place an order "off the menu" for LR RWD car. Guy on the phone said off menu means we can only do inventory cars and all the ones I wanted (black + aero) were in Canada or states too far away to be purchased without a 2k transportation charge. Then I asked about demos. We found an MSM + aero RWD LR demo that has 2,000 miles on it and is $1k off.

Later on here I read that apparently the guy gave me BS and in fact I can order a brand new car. So the question now is…what should I do?

Benefit to getting the demo car is that it's physically in NJ (Cherry Hill), no games about delayed delivery dates, etc, plus already updated to latest software, etc. But it *is* a demo car so who knows how much it's been abused. Plus due to incorrect info from the rep I am ultimately paying an extra $500 that I didn't want to spend just to get a different color which I don't care that much about. New car would have updated glass on the roof and potentially better seats (when did that change go in?). Anything else?

The VIN on the demo is 44xxx and the build date per the guy on the phone in Springfield is June. Should I demand they honor the June doc fee of 1k (as opposed to 1200)?

$1 per mile was the original proposal for the loaner/demo cars proposed by Elon at the S release. Remember "if you like it you can keep it"?
S release was years ago. Are they actually still honoring this rate?
call the paramus store and pose the same question. If the car is in short hills theres no cost to moving it to paramus.
not sure I follow. no one is charging me to move the car (nor is it in Short Hills, which doesn't store any cars). what did you mean?

Have you looked at the demo car? If so, how does it look? If the car is in excellent condition, I'd say take the guaranteed thing. 2,000 miles is pretty insignificant for the motor. If anything, one could argue that at the 2k mark many of the more common issues people are having would have presented themselves and have been sorted out by now. This means that it potentially less likely that you'd run into an issue that would require a trip to the service center. Plus you're still getting the full warranty if something does come up. I guess at the end of the day the question is whether you can be happy with a 'demo' car.

Reactions: webdbbt