TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Tschneid, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Tschneid

Tschneid Member

I have had my MX for about 7 months mostly without issue. About 2 months ago, however, the parking brakes locked up and couldn't be unlocked. This resulted in a tow to the SC and both parking brakes being replaced. Now, about 1 week ago, I couldn't drive the car with a 12V & Air Suspension error. Originally the SC thought these new errors were related to the HV charging system but after replacing the HV charging system the errors are still present. At this point, in the words of the SC advisor "we have no idea what is wrong with your car." So....is it reasonable to ask for a new car? I asked how long it might take for them to figure out what is wrong and the SC advisor told me he had no idea but I should expect to hear from them in a week or so. I am losing faith and confidence in the car! Suggestions?

2. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

Reasonable? Depends on if you have any sort of lemon law where you live. In CA certain criteria needs to be met before they'll even consider it. Based on your situation, I am pretty confident that it wouldn't qualify here. I would give them more time to diagnose what's going on. I know it sucks, sorry. :(

3. travwill

travwill Active Member

I think for a while at a minimum it is right to ask for an equal or better loaner car while they diagnose yours and fix it. If say after 30 days, they still can not fix the issue then it should be escalated for replacement as well - per Tesla. You are under a year so could qualify under some lemon laws if it sits in service XX days within a year - depends where you are. Tesla has an independent arbitrator they use for written complaints/requests like that first.

4. number12

number12 Active Member

Did you get a tesla loaner?

5. Tschneid

Tschneid Member

thanks...it does suck

6. Tschneid

Tschneid Member

no tesla loaner because I live far enough away and work long enough hours that it would be difficult...i must say they did provide me with any rental car I wanted from my nearest Enterprise rental

7. Tschneid

Tschneid Member

thanks

8. travwill

travwill Active Member

No problem. I've had to wait for stupid parts like 3-4 days once for a seat, 2 days for door latches, and maybe a few other 1 day events/fixes. Every time I've had at minimum a Model S to drive, or usually a nicer/newer P90DL or something to drive that made it seem ok at least. I know all centers can't do that, but they should in your case.

9. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

My X has been in service for over 6 weeks since I've owned it, for numerous problems. It was very frustrating, no doubt. But the car has been solid for the last 4 months. I feel we have gotten things under control.

Your situation sounds inconvenient, but not terribly out of the ordinary. Asking for a new car sounds like an extreme stretch. Remember that even if they do agree to replace it (if things escalate), you'll pay $1 per mile on your vehicle plus any price difference that has occurred since your purchase. Still a great deal for someone trading up, but it's not like they just give you a new car.

• Like x 2
  10. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

6 weeks!! And I am complaining about my 3 SC appointments that lasted for 4 days.