Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with the new pricing on the 75 I've decided to not go for the 3 and move my deposit over to an M. Since I didn't really give it much thought before - a few questions:

1 - Is the high fidelity sound worth it? I tend to be a little picky about that and am coming from a Burmester sound system. From what I've ready neither would be as good as that.
2 - Those white seats looks amazing (but for how long?) - anyone have them and have they held up? Are the premium seats worth it or are the standard seats good enough? I would be leasing.

I'm pretty set on the rest: 75, Premium (this may even be questionable now), Black Exterior, Enhanced AP.

Thanks!

I enjoy the standard sound system. PUP is still necessary if you like really clean air (HEPA and Bio-Defense Mode) - honestly I feel it is a real differentiation vs. other cars. I went with Glass roof .. so would stick with that. Like Tesla has some good videos on the white seats .. seem to be holding up well for them. If you have some money to spend .. I may consider another color other than black .. I have it and love it .. but keeping it clean is a bear.

I enjoy the standard sound system. PUP is still necessary if you like really clean air (HEPA and Bio-Defense Mode) - honestly I feel it is a real differentiation vs. other cars. I went with Glass roof .. so would stick with that. Like Tesla has some good videos on the white seats .. seem to be holding up well for them. If you have some money to spend .. I may consider another color other than black .. I have it and love it .. but keeping it clean is a bear.

Oh I know - my last 6 cars have all been black including my current one. It's tough. But not sure I can afford to go premium paint. My better half is already looking at me with side-eye LOL

So with the new pricing on the 75 I've decided to not go for the 3 and move my deposit over to an M. Since I didn't really give it much thought before - a few questions:

1 - Is the high fidelity sound worth it? I tend to be a little picky about that and am coming from a Burmester sound system. From what I've ready neither would be as good as that.
2 - Those white seats looks amazing (but for how long?) - anyone have them and have they held up? Are the premium seats worth it or are the standard seats good enough? I would be leasing.

I'm pretty set on the rest: 75, Premium (this may even be questionable now), Black Exterior, Enhanced AP.

Thanks!
1. You're moving your depoit from a 3 to an "M". What's an "M" or did you mean "S"?
2. Yes, the UHFS sounds better but not necessarily $2500 worth of better. I'd be nervous about "white" seats. Dirt, dye, oil, etc...not for me. I love my Nex Gen seats, they're awesome!

Reactions: boaterva
Premium is only worth it if you are really picky about air and are frequently stuck in heavy traffic or bad air quality regions, it made sense with the auto lift-gate, but now the package seems really not that great, not many good reviews on the LED lighting from what I can tell.

UHFS is a true toss up, honestly I think the stock stereo is very decent, UHFS seems nicer in higher volumes. Do you listen at very high levels? The stock stereo starts to show weaknesses at higher levels, the UHFS can pull up cleaner with bass and extension, but if you listen average to low levels, then neither is gonna be as good as a Burmester system and the differentiation is quite low.

White seats are are a HUGE maintenance problem for many. Kids, pets, outdoor activities, clothes that lose color (this is the worst, some jeans leave blue stains that just wont go away) , the list goes on and on. I just cannot see the risk unless you wear tip-top clothing all the time and can control who comes in and out of the car vigilantly. It does look kinda cool and futuristic though.

I'd drop all the above tbh, pick a 75 or 75D with the superb new price point and be happy you didn't buy a 60 last few months

• Helpful
Reactions: apples23
Premium is only worth it if you are really picky about air and are frequently stuck in heavy traffic or bad air quality regions, it made sense with the auto lift-gate, but now the package seems really not that great, not many good reviews on the LED lighting from what I can tell.

UHFS is a true toss up, honestly I think the stock stereo is very decent, UHFS seems nicer in higher volumes. Do you listen at very high levels? The stock stereo starts to show weaknesses at higher levels, the UHFS can pull up cleaner with bass and extension, but if you listen average to low levels, then neither is gonna be as good as a Burmester system and the differentiation is quite low.

White seats are are a HUGE maintenance problem for many. Kids, pets, outdoor activities, clothes that lose color (this is the worst, some jeans leave blue stains that just wont go away) , the list goes on and on. I just cannot see the risk unless you wear tip-top clothing all the time and can control who comes in and out of the car vigilantly. It does look kinda cool and futuristic though.

I'd drop all the above tbh, pick a 75 or 75D with the superb new price point and be happy you didn't buy a 60 last few months

Yeah I have some time to think about it. I'm also in Florida so I wanted to reduce the heat inside the car whether the white seats would help a bit, not sure. With the white seats my biggest concern would be jeans.

As of today, glass roof (and pano) are the only options, metal roof removed from configurator.

As for the white seats, I've worn jeans in the car quite a bit over the past 3+ weeks and no issues (knock on polyerethane). I understand it's a problem with new jeans. Just wash them a dozen times before getting in the Tesla and you should be good to go (or put sheet over the seat until your new jeans are worn in). They do look amazing, and have received positive comments from everybody who has seen them.

As for the PUP, if you want the HEPA filter then it might be worth it. Regarding the LED lights, they can all be easily installed yourself by purchasing the kit from Abstract Ocean ($169). According to their website, even without the PUP, the wiring is all in place already.

Stick with the Premium too. Breathing in car exhaust is pretty bad for your health and I can't tell you how nice it is to breathe super clean air whenever we're driving. You don't get bad smells from areas you drive through - they did a really nice job with it. For me and my wife anyway, the health benefits that go along with Premium alone make it worthwhile.

As for the white seats, I've worn jeans in the car quite a bit over the past 3+ weeks and no issues (knock on polyerethane). I understand it's a problem with new jeans. Just wash them a dozen times before getting in the Tesla and you should be good to go (or put sheet over the seat until your new jeans are worn in). They do look amazing, and have received positive comments from everybody who has seen them.

As for the PUP, if you want the HEPA filter then it might be worth it. Regarding the LED lights, they can all be easily installed yourself by purchasing the kit from Abstract Ocean ($169). According to their website, even without the PUP, the wiring is all in place already.

The white seats do look super futuristic and seem to go well with the car.

Reactions: pilotSteve

The problem is usually not with "your" jeans or your significant others, its with other folks you let into the car. Friends, colleagues, relatives or worse yet someone else's kids. You cant control this, and 9/10 times its someone else who dings the interior, stains the seats or messes up something else. If you can control this and/or are a person who just about never lets anyone else into the car, sure. ;)

Stick with the Premium too. Breathing in car exhaust is pretty bad for your health and I can't tell you how nice it is to breathe super clean air whenever we're driving. You don't get bad smells from areas you drive through - they did a really nice job with it. For me and my wife anyway, the health benefits that go along with Premium alone make it worthwhile.

Or you can skip the Premium Package and add Bioweapon Defense Mode as an aftermarket upgrade for $750.

Tesla launches its HEPA air filter with ‘Bioweapon Defense Mode’ as an aftermarket upgrade for Model X

• Informative
Reactions: ancreserve
The problem is usually not with "your" jeans or your significant others, its with other folks you let into the car. Friends, colleagues, relatives or worse yet someone else's kids. You cant control this, and 9/10 times its someone else who dings the interior, stains the seats or messes up something else. If you can control this and/or are a person who just about never lets anyone else into the car, sure. ;)

Fortunately, I'm at an age where I don't have any friends with young kids (with one exception). There will be no kids in my car outside of my 20 year old son. No way I would let anybody in the car with new jeans on. They either wear old jeans or they walk. Yes, I have control over who gets in the car. My seats will remain pristine or I'll pull a Heisenberg!

If you want to know how the white seats hold up, I suggest going over to YouTube and checking out Bjorn Nyland's Tesla videos. He had an early S with leather and won an X in one of the early incentive promotions. He went with white seats on the X and he has some videos talking about how they held up. He also covered how the leather seats held up on the s before he sold it.

I think the standard sound system is fine and without the premium sound you have an extra cubby hole in the back where the woofer goes on the premium system.

I used the bioweapon defense mode a couple of times early on when the out gassing in the interior was giving us headaches, but I probably haven't used it in 7 months. The standard air filters are very good at cleaning the air. I never smell trucks or the paper mill I drive by all the time. The only time I've smelled diesel or gas fumes in the last few months was when I rolled down my window to get rid of a bee that had gotten in the car and I got close to an idling car and another time I walked past an idling 50 something Chevy BelAir in a parking lot. The car was nicely destroyed but choking on the fumes kind of ruined the ambiance.

The only reason I would go with the premium pkg. is for the improved exterior lighting. I find my standard lighting doesn't do the greatest job on the highway in heavy rain. Others will have to chime in to let you know if the improved lighting helps in these conditions. I went with the black leather seats due to better comfort for those long road trips. In my opinion the lighter leather show more wear and tear down the road. Can't comment on the sound since the standard does a great job for me. Make sure to take a coil suspension for a test ride on several different surfaces over several miles to make sure you are alright with the ride and feel. Otherwise everything else you have should be good from my experiences.