Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice: NEMA 14-50 or Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not a certified electrician, HE is. He installed 10+ for Tesla cars around here and customers are very happy with his work
What do I know? ZERO in this area, but reviews from his customers are good enough for me. They all get 48amp charging with (2) 30amp breakers

This is what he used ... sorry about my terminology, as I said I know ZERO about electrical circuit
Ok, that's a 60 amp circuit.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I am not a certified electrician, HE is. He installed 10+ for Tesla cars around here and customers are very happy with his work
What do I know? ZERO in this area, but reviews from his customers are good enough for me. They all get 48amp charging with (2) 30amp breakers

This is what he used ... sorry about my terminology, as I said I know ZERO about electrical circuit
That's a 2 pole breaker. In your panel, there are two busbars, A and B. Each carries 120V with respect to neutral but they are "mirror images" of each other (when voltage on A goes positive, voltage on B goes negative by the same amount and vice versa). So there's 240V between the A and B busbars. 2 pole breakers tap both busbars for 240V circuits so if you look in your panel, anything that uses 240V (stoves, dryers, air conditioners, etc.) are on 2 pole breakers. The reason the two sides are tied together is that if one side is carrying too much current, both should trip. You don't want half of your circuit (one of the two wires) energized.

Inside-Main-Breaker-Box-Panel-120V-240V-NEC.png

• Informative
That's a 2 pole breaker. In your panel, there are two busbars, A and B. Each carries 120V with respect to neutral but they are "mirror images" of each other (when voltage on A goes positive, voltage on B goes negative by the same amount and vice versa). So there's 240V between the A and B busbars. 2 pole breakers tap both busbars for 240V circuits so if you look in your panel, anything that uses 240V (stoves, dryers, air conditioners, etc.) are on 2 pole breakers. The reason the two sides are tied together is that if one side is carrying too much current, both should trip. You don't want half of your circuit (one of the two wires) energized.

View attachment 874458
Great. Thanks ... it's beyond my skills , maybe someday it would get into my head

For dual pole breakers you don't double, half, or add together any limits. That picture is a 2 pole 60 amp breaker. It has a 60 amp limit for each hot wire. It allows 60amps before tripping the breaker. If you could physically split the breaker in half from a double pole to single pole each half would be a single pole 60 amp breaker. A (2) 30 amp breaker is common on electric dryers, and 30 amps on one hot wire trips the breaker.

• Informative
The price of the Tesla Mobile Connector kit has increased by $30 US. The new price is $230 US. (The kit includes both the NEMA 5-15 and 14-50 power plug adapters.)
If buyer ordered your car before April 16-17? then U should be able to get this for free $0
I received an email from Tesla 2 weeks ago - with a Tesla code- So yesterday I went in the Tesla shop and ordered this kit. Even though it says $230 but when I entered the code given to me then it's $0. Tesla sent me an email yesterday confirming that it has been shipped out

BTW, I texted Tesla and asked if I could use that voucher/code to apply toward ordering the Tesla CCS-1 but they said NO so I did not try

I hope eventually the Tesla CCS-1 price drops to less than $200 then I decide if I would need it or not... Until then....