Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on 2014 Model S 85 with Autopilot for $55K

Is $55K a reasonable price for a Model S 85 with Autopilot 1.0, tech pkg, pano, and 30K miles?

• Yes

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan to buy a Tesla soon and am hoping to elicit some opinions from the commentariat on the price of a 2014 Model S I am looking at. (I have a deposit on a Model 3 as well but I am not willing to wait the 18 months, and the 3 is a little on the small side anyway.) The specs on the S:

• 85 (not 85D)
  • ~30,000 miles
  • Red exterior
  • Panoramic Roof
  • Tan Nappa Leather Seats
  • Tech Package with Autopilot 1.0 (I really want TACC but don't have a preference between Autopilot 1 or 2 hardware.)
Thanks all.

Can't comment on US prices, but looks like a dream car. I suppose it will still have the large frunk (which D's do not have, and no recent S's, D or non-D, have anymore). My 2013 85 non-D was also more fun to drive than my current 85D. And yes, you will want AutoPilot! (AP2 is currently no better than AP1; will surely get better someday, but it only exists since half a year, so you'll have to wait a while to find a AP2 car at that price...).

Was that the one in Chicago? I ended up reserving another one with similar specs in LA on Monday night when they both popped up on the website. I preferred the color of yours, but it was in Chicago so it would have been a $2K Transport Fee while LA is free.

The one I got was a super late 2014 (#60996), also an 85, with AP1, Dark Grey with Tan Leather and 22K miles for $58K, so similar price after transport and fewer miles.

From tracking the CPO site I question if both of these were underpriced because mine at least didn't list the AP1 Hardware, just Tech Package with Autopilot (you can't have one without the other and I confirmed it does have the AP1 Hardware). I haven't seen anything close to either of them since they went up on Monday.

So yeah, great car, great deal, hopefully are closer to it than I was.

Was that the one in Chicago? I ended up reserving another one with similar specs in LA on Monday night when they both popped up on the website. I preferred the color of yours, but it was in Chicago so it would have been a $2K Transport Fee while LA is free.

The one I got was a super late 2014 (#60996), also an 85, with AP1, Dark Grey with Tan Leather and 22K miles for $58K, so similar price after transport and fewer miles.

From tracking the CPO site I question if both of these were underpriced because mine at least didn't list the AP1 Hardware, just Tech Package with Autopilot (you can't have one without the other and I confirmed it does have the AP1 Hardware). I haven't seen anything close to either of them since they went up on Monday.

So yeah, great car, great deal, hopefully are closer to it than I was.
Yes, it was the one listed in Chicago. I was going to pick it up in person, except that it is actually in Minneapolis, which is quite a bit further. I agree that there hasn't been anything similarly priced with Autopilot--as far as I can tell. In 6 months or so, they should start coming off of lease, but who can wait that long?

I was told 4-6 weeks by the local dealership, having not done much research beforehand on CPO delivery time, I thought that was crazy compared to normal dealerships (obviously hadn't been here before) but I had a lease ending in mid June so I pulled the trigger on Monday. Turns out it is 8-11 weeks, fortunately BMW was willing to extend my lease by up to 2 months.

I assumed (wrongly) that "available" meant "ready to go" and figured I would take a trip down to LA visit friends and pick it up in a couple weeke. Instead they are bringing it up to Fremont to recondition it at the factory, which I assume is a good thing, the 2-3 month wait... less so.

Got pictures of mine today, the angles aren't great but it sure looks like I got a P85. Hopefully you have similar luck!

Attachments

• 10656433-2727-49CF-9BD5-5D92C9F9923B.JPG
    10656433-2727-49CF-9BD5-5D92C9F9923B.JPG
    567.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 9E00D378-23AC-4A04-8473-EDA88CF3CE06.JPG
    9E00D378-23AC-4A04-8473-EDA88CF3CE06.JPG
    572 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: IdaX
Well that sounds nuts. A late 2014 P85 with 22k miles and ap for $58k? Hard to believe. Please confirm this with you advisor and DS, because if so I will cancel my order stat.

Last 5 of the VIN are 60996, based on that it should have AP1 and I confirmed with the SA that it has AP1 Hardware (the listing just said Tech Package with Autopilot where a lot of them list Autopilot 1 Hardware as well.

I saw it pop-up Monday night two weeks ago and immediately jumped on it. The other car mentioned in this thread is the only other car I have seen that was similar. It was $3K less with 8K more miles, but would have cost $2K to get it out here. What I have seen is that pricing isn't consistent, leading me to believe that it is a mark-up on what they paid or what the seller is asking. Not sure of the mechanics of the CPO process, but when the Sales Rep at the dealership was pulling some up, they were listed as "with owner", but were in the CPO system. I am hopeful that it was just a really motivated seller and not that the car has something wrong with it.

was it not listed as P85 on the CPO site?

No, it was not listed as a P85, just a regular 85. I guess there is a chance the previous owner rebadged it to a P85, but I imagine that is really uncommon. I think it is probably more than the 2014 VIN numbers can't be used to identify P vs non-P. I assumed it was an 85 and bought it as an 85, the pictures indicate I may have won the lottery.

At this point I am curious if there are any other options that weren't listed, but I won't find out until late July or early August.

Last 5 of the VIN are 60996, based on that it should have AP1 and I confirmed with the SA that it has AP1 Hardware (the listing just said Tech Package with Autopilot where a lot of them list Autopilot 1 Hardware as well.

I saw it pop-up Monday night two weeks ago and immediately jumped on it. The other car mentioned in this thread is the only other car I have seen that was similar. It was $3K less with 8K more miles, but would have cost $2K to get it out here. What I have seen is that pricing isn't consistent, leading me to believe that it is a mark-up on what they paid or what the seller is asking. Not sure of the mechanics of the CPO process, but when the Sales Rep at the dealership was pulling some up, they were listed as "with owner", but were in the CPO system. I am hopeful that it was just a really motivated seller and not that the car has something wrong with it.

No, it was not listed as a P85, just a regular 85. I guess there is a chance the previous owner rebadged it to a P85, but I imagine that is really uncommon. I think it is probably more than the 2014 VIN numbers can't be used to identify P vs non-P. I assumed it was an 85 and bought it as an 85, the pictures indicate I may have won the lottery.

At this point I am curious if there are any other options that weren't listed, but I won't find out until late July or early August.

from when i was looking to purchase. the CPO site wasnt always 100% on the options.

you can call any of the service centers and give them the vin#, they should be able to look up for you whether it is S85 or P85 and also tell you all the options on the car.

from when i was looking to purchase. the CPO site wasnt always 100% on the options.

you can call any of the service centers and give them the vin#, they should be able to look up for you whether it is S85 or P85 and also tell you all the options on the car.

That is something I saw here and other places as well. I don't think that are any cases where people got a car without the options listed, but particularly on the 85's there were options that weren't listed and in rare cases there were P's or D's not listed as such.

Well I've never seen a p85 with AP. P85d yes .If you get to the bottom of it please let me know,

Looks like there are several that have shown up on teslainventory.com
https://teslainventory.com/?trim=Model S P85
There are 7 old listings, with VIN's ranging from 55720 to 65226 for P85 with Autopilot, on the other hand there are 206 P85D's (so A LOT more), ranging from 55136 to 139117. So it looks like they were making some P85 while making the early P85D's and mine falls right into the middle of than range at 60996. So it looks like there are some, just not a ton.

The earliest AP1 car on there is 53790. The last P85 on the site is 65226

(These are all cars on Tesla Inventory Search's Inactive Listings, odds are the ranges are slightly longer.

I will continue to provide updates as I find out more information.

there are P85 with AP, very few. very late 2014

Looks like there were 2650 in 2012, 22,477 in 2013 and 31,655 in 2014, that puts the total at 56,782 sold through the end of 2014 and the the VIN on this one is 60996, but it is listed as a 2014, so it appears to be a super late 2014. The last 2014 listed on teslainventory.com is 69222 so definitely a 2014.

Wow this is crazy. If you really got a P85 late 2014 with 22k miles with AP1 it's the deal of the year. Regular old P85s with more miles from 2013 routinely cost more. I would take that deal in a heartbeat if I had been presented with it. If it's real then honestly it annoys me that my advisor didn't put more effort into finding me an awesome car like that. To this day they still have 295 miles listed as the range of the 85D while folks at Tesla have been assuring me it's only 270. I'm surprised that they would list a P85 as an 85. Makes you wonder if they're also making the same error in reverse...