Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on buying 2018 MX 100D with shuddering issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A coworker is selling his 2018 (June production) MX 100D for $55k and I want to get MX owners thoughts on if the purchase is a good idea. Specs below. Overall, the car is in near-mint condition and everything is sparkling and perfect. However, it's out of warranty and during the test-drive when I 0-60 on a straight-line with suspension set to normal, I noticed the dreaded wheel shudder, subtle but definitely noticeable.

I love everything about the car and the test drive but I'm very concerned that I'll have a repair bill around the corner for the shudder issue. I flagged the issue to the seller and he's dropping the price to $52.5k.

My question for current MX owners:

1. Should I get the car for $52.5k and just add something like this: Alignment Kit 1 - Acceleration Shudder & Inner Tire Wear - Tesla Model X & S to deal with the shudder once and for all? If so, will I also need to replace the current half-arms along side this kit?
  2. Can just drive with the shuddering issue and are there any long-term mechanical risks here? or is most the risk here around just inner tire-wear? I can't figure out if this is something I can live with or if this is an actual safety/mechanical concerns
  3. Are there other potentially bills/issues I should be checking on the car? I inspected for gaps, tire wear, and interiors and everything seems good but not sure if there's any under the hood stuff that needs a 2nd look?
  4. As a current MX owner, based on everything I mentioned, would you buy the car @ $52.5k?
2018 MX 100D specs:

• 295 miles range
  • 37,800 miles - Very low mileage.
  • 22" wheels (rims are in great condition)
  • 7 seats, 3 rows, white interior (in immaculate condition)
  • Enhanced Autopilot
  • Autopilot, Changes lanes, takes highway exits, auto-parks, summon mode
  • Premium Upgrade Package, enhanced audio, heated seats
  • 8-year battery warranty - Until June 2026
  • Fast, powerful, sporty, extremely safe
  • Carbon-fiber interior
  • 1 owner, never smoked in
  • Ceramic clear-coat paint protection applied at purchase
  • Clear bra hood protection
  • Interior seats ceramic coating protection
  • 2018 model, purchased new June 2018

Can just drive with the shuddering issue and are there any long-term mechanical risks here? or is most the risk here around just inner tire-wear? I can't figure out if this is something I can live with or if this is an actual safety/mechanical concerns
Yes, i drive with shudder, it doesn't bother me much as i don't accelerate hard often. Ironically, if i floor it, i get no shudder, only on medium acceleration.
I don't think there's any mechanical risks, i'll drive till axles fall apart or start making awful noise all the time.
Inner wear is indirectly related, if u drive in low, shudder will minimize but wear increase.
As a current MX owner, based on everything I mentioned, would you buy the car @ $52.5k?
I would. Great price n biggest battery.

Reactions: Zeeshan Javaid
I have a 2017 X. I have a shutter currently but only on hard acceleration. I'm not concerned about it at this point.
Tesla doc on it with all the gory details.
sb-21-39-001-replace-front-drive-unit-halfshafts.pdf - https://cdn.motor1.com/pdf-files/sb-21-39-001-replace-front-drive-unit-halfshafts.pdf
via: Tesla Has New Service Bulletin On Model S/X Acceleration Shudder

Aside: My understanding is to drive on the standard height (vs low) for best tire wear. I used to switch to low at 60 I think (option in car menus). I stopped that.

It sounds like a great deal to me based on everything written and some quick price comparisons.
ie. New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Once you own it, show the service centre this Service bulletin and get the fix done free.
I wonder if there is a diagnosis fee associated with this.
tap tap tap ...
after looking into it there is a >$1500 cost and "correction code" is applied so it gets down to $350-$400.
See this thread and a particular post that shows the cost: Replacing Front Drive Unit Clevis (motor) Mount

In regards to this thread the $2.5K discount seems like a great deal.

Once you own it, show the service centre this Service bulletin and get the fix done free.
Hi Andyzdeman, my 2020 model X is out of warranty and recently discovered some clicking noise while turning and slight shudder in standard height. I contacted SC and they quoted me $2400 for it. I did some research and came across this and really wonder why SC just doesn't automatically do the repair for free and still quoted me with that outrageous number. This is my 1st Tesla and I'm already stressed with this.

I was thinking of doing the haft shaft outside to save some money and add n2intive to hopefully fix this for awhile. Is there a way to talk to your SC before your appointment to mention this? Since I know they charge $100 if you cancel the day off.

Hi Andyzdeman, my 2020 model X is out of warranty and recently discovered some clicking noise while turning and slight shudder in standard height. I contacted SC and they quoted me $2400 for it. I did some research and came across this and really wonder why SC just doesn't automatically do the repair for free and still quoted me with that outrageous number. This is my 1st Tesla and I'm already stressed with this.

I was thinking of doing the haft shaft outside to save some money and add n2intive to hopefully fix this for awhile. Is there a way to talk to your SC before your appointment to mention this? Since I know they charge $100 if you cancel the day off.
Quote isn't always what you pay at the end, Just show up at your appointment and go through it with our service advisor. I've been in that case and always work out, either free or just walk away. They quote you but it doesn't mean they will charge you that price immediately. they even quoted $350 for alignment on my brand new 2 day old Model 3 and I still approved it after talking to a service advisor. It became $0 in 5 minutes.

Reactions: henderrj
It sounds like a great deal to me based on everything written and some quick price comparisons.
ie. New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla
I was astonished to see this link with the inventory of used cars. At first, I assumed the data was stale since this post was six months ago. But I did a separate search from a different browser window and discovered the data is current. But what surprised me was that, first of all, some listings say "Available to view at ..." the applicable Tesla location. When I look at tesla.com today from my location (MA), I have never seen that. I understood that the policy is that you can never see a used car they are selling , until you pay for it, which always seemed anti-consumer (and should be illegal, in my view). The second thing is that this link brought back cars from the entire US even though the entered Zip code is for a location in California. Today when I search with my Zip code, I can see only local cars, and there is no place you can insert a distance to cars you wish to see in other locations. Is it possible there is a different search limit for my location for some reason?

I was astonished to see this link with the inventory of used cars. At first, I assumed the data was stale since this post was six months ago. But I did a separate search from a different browser window and discovered the data is current. But what surprised me was that, first of all, some listings say "Available to view at ..." the applicable Tesla location. When I look at tesla.com today from my location (MA), I have never seen that. I understood that the policy is that you can never see a used car they are selling , until you pay for it, which always seemed anti-consumer (and should be illegal, in my view). The second thing is that this link brought back cars from the entire US even though the entered Zip code is for a location in California. Today when I search with my Zip code, I can see only local cars, and there is no place you can insert a distance to cars you wish to see in other locations. Is it possible there is a different search limit for my location for some reason?
It is wierd. If you put a range URL parm on there then it adds that field.
Try: https://www.tesla.com/inventory/new/mx?arrangeby=relevance&zip=60602&range=200

This side builds that URL and allows you to specify a state (advance options) to build your list. Then from your list it takes you to the Tesla site (with a referral parm).

• Helpful
Reactions: David29