Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on buying a used high mileage P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU2 upgrade is a waste of money. You won't get all of the features the newer cars have AND you lose FM radio. Just save your $1500 and buy an iPad. MCU2 is still slow and buggy, I wouldn't even pay $1k for it.

While I'm here, for all the P90D folks, how many actual miles are you getting on a full charge?
I have the MCU2 upgrade it is most certainly better than my MCU1. By a lot. Especially for voice commands and navigation. Makes my Jan 2017 S car feel brand new. And you can get FM albeit for more money. I do have AP 2 so I also get sentry mode. Wouldn’t get that with older cars. Also can watch movies and play games (which I have done several times) I’m pleased.

But if a person is satisfied with their MCU1, it’s definitely cheaper to keep it.

Ideally it would have been better if their software was more efficient so it ran fine on MCU1 like their older versions of their OS. But they didn’t. So here we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
MCU2 upgrade is a waste of money. You won't get all of the features the newer cars have AND you lose FM radio. Just save your $1500 and buy an iPad. MCU2 is still slow and buggy, I wouldn't even pay $1k for it.

While I'm here, for all the P90D folks, how many actual miles are you getting on a full charge?

Totally agree. I had a loaner that was AP1 with MCU2 upgrade, and it validated that I don't need that upgrade. Yeah it was smoother and faster than MCU1, but I couldn't validate $1.5k to get a little smoother movement. I never cared about having netflix built in to my car, the interface on my ipad is much easier to use, and I can still use the car's audio through bluetooth anyway. As @SO16 mentioned, my voice commands on MCU1 are basically useless, but again I don't use that much anyway so it's not a loss for me at this point.

With that said, if my current MCU failed or get the yellow ring, I'd buy the upgrade rather than spend similar money to just replace with another MCU1. It's just not really worth it to proactively replace, for me, in my specific use case.

I upgraded to MCU2 in summer 2020 because the original MCU1 (2014 P85+) died for $2,500. I was okay with it, but didn’t think the upgrade was needed for my use, so did the EMMC daughter board upgrade on our 2015 70D instead last year. I have recently upgraded the 70D to MCU2 also (for $1,500), because MCU1 wasn’t getting frequent firmware updates compared to MCU2. I am happy with It. .

My 2017 90D’s mcu1 became almost unusable after FSD upgrade. Voice commands wouldn’t work, huge lag in navigation, touch screen freezing

MCU2 fixed all of that for me..and more