Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on buying a used high mileage P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello friends! Was considering buying a used high mileage (200k km/125k miles) 2016 P90D for $47000. It appears to be in really good shape overall, however with Tesla it is extremely hard to get any type of information from the service center as I am not the owner of the car. I've done a lot of research on the forums and have checked any big issues I can. I know it still has the original battery (I am not sure if it is V1, V2 or V3, but this is a 02/2016 pre facelift with the underlined P90D, so I believe it came from factory as a ludicrous P90D). I do not hear any unusual buzzing or whining from the car. Tesla won't tell me if any of the drive units have been replaced or not. The car is showing "Park Assist Unavailable" at all times though and the parking sensors are not working currently. Other than this, it was a one owner car, no damage history when I run the VIN. My question is, would you guys recommend a P90DL that has this many miles? Also are there any other commonly known issues with these cars (I know door handles can fail, but Im more concerned with big price failures)? Any advice would be great as I keep going back and forth on purchasing this car. Thank you in advanced!

Dont listen to that guy, i bought a used 2013 p85 model s over a new model 3 and im loving it! My car had 65k miles when i bought it. With that many miles i think you should be good because all the issues that would happen could have happened already. If they didnt happen yet, then they wont happen at that range in my opinion.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos and glide
Dont listen to that guy, i bought a used 2013 p85 model s over a new model 3 and im loving it! My car had 65k miles when i bought it. With that many miles i think you should be good because all the issues that would happen could have happened already. If they didnt happen yet, then they wont happen at that range in my opinion.
Let us know how you feel when your battery and drive train fail.

I am still really on the fence about this. Initially, I was in the market for a 2017-2018 75D and actually found one (and put a deposit down) prior to the dealer selling it from under me. This 75D has about 100k miles on it and was priced at $41k. Would you guys' recommend a 2017 AP2 75D over this 2016 P90D?

As far as buying new, I could afford it if I wanted to, but I prefer to not have a car payment for the time being, so I have about a $50k budget on a car and have always wanted a Model S.

Also, thank you very much for all the replies so far. The more that chime in the better :)

How would you compare the build quality of 2016-2017 Model S's to the modern day Teslas?
Better. But with the outdated interior, MCU, and battery tech, I would still go for a new 3 or Y.

The only model S I would recommend buying right now is the refresh LR. At $80K I think it was a good value. The price hike to $90 is pushing it and if I had to pay that, I would get a 3/Y.

How would you compare the build quality of 2016-2017 Model S's to the modern day Teslas?
Please fill us in on how you know your 85 pack, THE most problematic of all Tesla battery packs, is not going to fail. I cannot wait to hear this explanation.

And the build quality of 2012/2013 Model S was straight up trash compared to any new Model 3 or Y rolling off the lines today. Sounds like you made a poor buying decision and want others to join in so you feel better about it.

OP, I’ll say it again, go new or wait for used prices to come back to earth

so everyone who bought a used tesla is bad? Come on man. There really nit that much of a difference between a new model 3 over a used model s with low milage. I get a bigger /faster/more range/ and in my opinion better looking car. And the frubk is bigger than the newer modles. So ill say it again, theres nothing wrong with a used car if you do your research. There is nothing wrong with my car and i have free supercharging and lte and premium connectivity.
#HatersGunnaHate

• Disagree
so everyone who bought a used tesla is bad? Come on man. There really nit that much of a difference between a new model 3 over a used model s with low milage. I get a bigger /faster/more range/ and in my opinion better looking car. And the frubk is bigger than the newer modles. So ill say it again, theres nothing wrong with a used car if you do your research. There is nothing wrong with my car and i have free supercharging and lte and premium connectivity.
#HatersGunnaHate
Don’t put words in my mouth.

Anyone buying a used Model S with a 90 battery pack for $47K would be better served buying a new Model 3/Y/S.

Maybe you’ve been living under a rock for the last year, but used car prices are highly inflated and the technology in those Tesla’s is getting older and older.

Once again, you seem to think I’m talking to you about your car, when really; I’m answering OP’s question about a potential purchase. Just because you bought a used Tesla, however long ago, doesn’t factor in to this conversation.

Anyone buying a used Model S with a 90 battery pack for $47K would be better served buying a new Model 3/Y/S.

Maybe you’ve been living under a rock for the last year, but used car prices are highly inflated and the technology in those Tesla’s is getting older and older.
I got mine for 30k and also, if you take care of the car, the battery wont just die on you

• Disagree
I am still really on the fence about this. Initially, I was in the market for a 2017-2018 75D and actually found one (and put a deposit down) prior to the dealer selling it from under me. This 75D has about 100k miles on it and was priced at $41k. Would you guys' recommend a 2017 AP2 75D over this 2016 P90D?

As far as buying new, I could afford it if I wanted to, but I prefer to not have a car payment for the time being, so I have about a $50k budget on a car and have always wanted a Model S.

Also, thank you very much for all the replies so far. The more that chime in the better :)
It’s really hard to compare across markets. You’re in Croatia, right?

I, for one, have no idea how much a new S or 3 costs over there or what the going rate for used S’s is.

Reactions: foos and Rider668

Here is the thing though, I converted the price from Euro to Dollars since I figured it would be easier for people to relate with on this forum. But I am purchasing this car in Europe. With that being said the price of a new Model 3 LR is a little over $62k (here in Croatia). And this 2016 P90D for 40k Euros ($47k USD) is significantly cheaper than all other P90Ds here in Europe. But I do take all this into consideration and appreciate your opinion as well as everyone else's in the thread. The free unlimited supercharging would also be nice since gas here in Europe is about $6-6.5/ gallon (when converted). So there are many pros and cons. My real concern is what are the big known issues with this year's range of Teslas? So I can have a better understanding of what might fail if I decide to go through with the purchase?

Here is the thing though, I converted the price from Euro to Dollars since I figured it would be easier for people to relate with on this forum. But I am purchasing this car in Europe. With that being said the price of a new Model 3 LR is a little over $62k (here in Croatia). And this 2016 P90D for 40k Euros ($47k USD) is significantly cheaper than all other P90Ds here in Europe. But I do take all this into consideration and appreciate your opinion as well as everyone else's in the thread. The free unlimited supercharging would also be nice since gas here in Europe is about $6-6.5/ gallon (when converted). So there are many pros and cons. My real concern is what are the big known issues with this year's range of Teslas? So I can have a better understanding of what might fail if I decide to go through with the purchase?
The advice with used Tesla’s should always be buy the newest vehicle with the best battery tech you can afford.

The biggest issue with a Model S that comes with a 90 battery pack, is going to be the battery. They were prone to degradation and failure. Hence, why they stopped making them.

If you have the option of getting a newer model year 75D with AP2, I would do that. Especially if you will not be under warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sanderpman12
The advice with used Tesla’s should always be buy the newest vehicle with the best battery tech you can afford.

The biggest issue with a Model S that comes with a 90 battery pack, is going to be the battery. They were prone to degradation and failure. Hence, why they stopped making them.

If you have the option of getting a newer model year 75D with AP2, I would do that. Especially if you will not be under warranty.
Why even buy a new tesla now when there will be a new one next year and the year after? Your logic makes no sense. Everythung will get old eventually. Enjoy whatever you have instead of waiting for something thats perfect. Nothing is perfect.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide