Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on buying a used high mileage P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would also lean towards that 75D, which has better AP hardware and is a bit younger. That performance rear drive unit might have issues as they are prone for leaking. Mine is 03/16 70D and for the build quality I can only say one chrome window trim is slightly off (2-3mm). These small drive units are still powerful and more efficient. After I purchased mine I had the opportunity to get all issues looked for under the warranty as the car still had two years left. So worth finding with warranty. Good luck finding yours!

I would also lean towards that 75D, which has better AP hardware and is a bit younger. That performance rear drive unit might have issues as they are prone for leaking. Mine is 03/16 70D and for the build quality I can only say one chrome window trim is slightly off (2-3mm). These small drive units are still powerful and more efficient. After I purchased mine I had the opportunity to get all issues looked for under the warranty as the car still had two years left. So worth finding with warranty. Good luck finding yours!
Thank you! If I decided to go with the P90D, I would still have the drive unit and battery warranty until 02/2024 I believe. I would probably sell the car before that, but I'm not sure. As for some of the other things that can go wrong, I kind of wish there was a way for me to already see the service history. For example, if a drive unit has already been replaced or not. If door handles have been replaced, If the air suspension has already failed, etc. But it is really hard to get Tesla to give that info out. It would make this decision a lot easier as then I could know and plan for certain future repairs

Hello friends! Was considering buying a used high mileage (200k km/125k miles) 2016 P90D for $47000. It appears to be in really good shape overall, however with Tesla it is extremely hard to get any type of information from the service center as I am not the owner of the car. I've done a lot of research on the forums and have checked any big issues I can. I know it still has the original battery (I am not sure if it is V1, V2 or V3, but this is a 02/2016 pre facelift with the underlined P90D, so I believe it came from factory as a ludicrous P90D). I do not hear any unusual buzzing or whining from the car. Tesla won't tell me if any of the drive units have been replaced or not. The car is showing "Park Assist Unavailable" at all times though and the parking sensors are not working currently. Other than this, it was a one owner car, no damage history when I run the VIN. My question is, would you guys recommend a P90DL that has this many miles? Also are there any other commonly known issues with these cars (I know door handles can fail, but Im more concerned with big price failures)? Any advice would be great as I keep going back and forth on purchasing this car. Thank you in advanced!
IMO for that money get a used performance 3 still under warranty.

I'd buy that P90D in a heartbeat. I've got a 2016 P90D and I think it's got a nicer interior than my neighbors 2020 Performance. The car rocks. Maybe it doesn't charge as fast as a new one. Maybe it doesn't drive as many miles as new one. But it drives further and faster than I need it to, and it charges plenty fast for me too. AP1 works great. I love the car. Do budget to do the MCU2 upgrade as well.

Am I'm like you - I haven't had car payments for a long time and don't plan on it now. 2 years ago I got my 2016 P90D with 53k miles and it has been flawless.

Reactions: tsxl
Couple of things to do.

1. Battery Degradation is at what %; also look under the car for the battery pack # and check online if its a reliable batch. Like everyone said here the 90 battery backs are one of the worst ones.
2. If Park Assist doesn't work I doubt AP1 is working; this could be a minimum $1k fix.
3. Check if it has existing warranty still which will cover battery + DU.
4. Believe it or not the tires are pretty expensive so a new set can run like $2k so make sure you do all the standard vehicle checks (might need new brakes at that mileage as well).

Couple of things to do.

1. Battery Degradation is at what %; also look under the car for the battery pack # and check online if its a reliable batch. Like everyone said here the 90 battery backs are one of the worst ones.
2. If Park Assist doesn't work I doubt AP1 is working; this could be a minimum $1k fix.
3. Check if it has existing warranty still which will cover battery + DU.
4. Believe it or not the tires are pretty expensive so a new set can run like $2k so make sure you do all the standard vehicle checks (might need new brakes at that mileage as well).
Battery degradation does not appear terrible. 390-400km at 100%.

So AP1 is working without issues, only getting the Park Assist Error. I had the dealer do a reset and Parking sensors now all work 🤷‍♂️ and the error is gone

100% confirmed by Tesla it still has the 8 year DU and battery warranty

Great call! I didn't even ask previously. The dealer sent some pictures, estimated 90% tread on front, 80% on rear.

I have basically done as much research as I can at this point. I have a friend here in Croatia that also has a very reputable EV repair shop (specializing in Tesla) and told me he can always help out with any repair that would not affect the DU + Battery warranty. With all that being said, I think I might just bite the bullet and go for it.

Last edited:

So AP1 is working without issues, only getting the Park Assist Error. I had the dealer do a reset and Parking sensors now all work 🤷‍♂️ and the error is gone

Great call! I didn't even ask previously. The dealer sent some pictures, estimated 90% tread on front, 80% on rear.

I have basically done as much research as I can at this point. I have a friend here in Croatia that also has a very reputable EV repair shop (specializing in Tesla) and told me he can always help out with any repair that would not affect the DU + Battery warranty. With all that being said, I think I might just bite the bullet and go for it.
Life is too short. You want it and can afford it then get it :)

So the car has MCU1 still? You will need to upgrade to MCU2. It's only going to run worse and worse on MCU1 as the software updates arrive (new Tesla OS version 11 will probably come this year). You'll have to see how much that costs at the service center.

So the car has MCU1 still? You will need to upgrade to MCU2. It's only going to run worse and worse on MCU1 as the software updates arrive (new Tesla OS version 11 will probably come this year). You'll have to see how much that costs at the service center.
Correct It still has MCU 1 unfortunately. Tesla has quoted me $1500 to get that swapped for MCU2 and this comes with a new instrument cluster screen as well

I am on MCU1 and have had thoughts to upgrade to MCU2. I have a Model 3 with MCU2 and honestly, MCU 1 is just slightly slower. The instrument cluster is peeling a little from the heat but other than that I don't have the issues that many here complain about. It's not that much slower than MCU2.

Reactions: tsxl and jpk195
Well, I decided to put the deposit down. Will be seeing it Thursday/Friday. Having it inspected by Tesla and then will pay the remaining amount. Everyone has been super helpful and I thank everyone who contributed. If you want to continue to chime in with any additional inflation/comment/or anything to beware of feel free. The more knowledge the better :)
Have Fun! Don't go too fast lol. Getting it straight from Tesla... you're going to be glad you made this choice.

Reactions: Sanderpman12
Congrats! You should have a lot of fun with the car.

Document now with your sales advisor that it has ludicrous mode and whatever flavor of AP should they attempt to take it away from you post sale.
Hold onnnnn. So this is a P90DL with the underlined badge, which I believe means this had ludicrous mode from the factory. I have heard of Tesla stripping EAP, FSD, FUSC after purchase but have never heard them stripping Ludicrous mode. Is this something they have been doing lately? That would be terrible considering the price of that option...

Also, I would be getting this from a 3rd party dealer that purchased directly from the first owner and never initiated a transfer (as far as Tesla is concerned) to a new owner. Should I be worried about losing a lot of options? Because I kind of feel like the price I am paying is with options included...