Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on buying Non Tesla items and thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jack Pads are worth having and keeping in the car for an emergency. They are quite inexpensive. If you have a puncture on a road trip, the nearest tyre joint might inadvertently jack the car from the wrong spot and damage the battery. Good to have these on hand to avoid that risk.

Also consider a compact air compressor. I use a "Windgallop" about $40 on amazon. Plugs into the cig lighter.

Reactions: Hairyman
Pretty much agree with everyone else in this thread. Everyone is different, we all care about different things, and drive in different places. Don't buy stuff in advance, wait until you use the car for a couple of months and figure out what you actually care about or need.

The only must-have option I recommend is the screen protector. But not only for protection. I didn't like how much of a fingerprint magnet it was, and also it wasn't as smooth as I expected. I bought a matte finish one from Amazon, and it's waaay better for me. No glare from reflections, no visible fingerprints, and much smoother scrolling feel. There is some value in the protection unlike people here are saying- if you have clumsy people or bags with buckles, it's pretty easy to whack the screen directly.

Another I just installed that's a big win for me personally, is the screen rotation mod. I'm the only driver, and being able to rotate the screen toward me makes playing games and using the UI much nicer and easier on my neck.

For flat tire safety, I also bought the Tesla kit, under the assumption that if it came from them and I use the goo- they won't complain as much about the TPMS sensor being wrecked. Only about $20 more than Amazon stuff, more for peace of mind than anything. I think you need some sort of flat tire safety/protection, and I didn't like the modern spare approach for taking up room and added weight for something I'm unlikely to ever need. So my compromise is to give me some compressor air and maybe goo to get me to the next tire store if I ever need it.

Did not buy the sunshade, if I ever need it driving, I found I can use my windshield sun blocker over my head- it fits in the grooves of the liner.

Bought the Tesla rugged textile floor mats because I liked the look better than anything else. I originally was not planning on adding mats, but the floor carpet started wearing pretty badly from my driving heel.

Added aftermarket brighter LED lights from RPMTesla. Trunk is woefully underlit for me, and added those and also replaced the driver door puddle lights for brighter. Added the RPMTesla wood grain vinyl wrap because that piano black was just a horrible idea. It exactly matches the wood dash.

Added a crazy aftermarket instrument cluster I bought off Amazon. I really like it, and it made it so I no longer care that Tesla boned the UI.

For me, I just decided to fix all the stuff that annoyed me about the car, and not wait for Tesla to get around to it in Elon time. But I still recommend getting used to it all first, and then you can make an informed opinion about what you care about.

To add to those above, I've bought numerous accessories from Tessories. The only ones I've been burnt with are the mudflaps (won't fit without some serious force, so opted to not ruin my paintwork) and the Taptes USB Hub (I bought it while waiting for my M3 to arrive last year, and the car arrived with USB sockets changed). The accessories which I bought and recommend are the roof sunshade (brilliant fit, and looks like a roof liner), windscreen shade, screen protector, trunk & frunk liners, vent cover (for the open air vent under the frunk), and jack pad (get at least one - you never know).
I bought mats from elsewhere so I wouldn't bugger up the factory ones for resale too. The carpet trim matches the paint colour (blue) so it looks cool.

Jack Pads are worth having and keeping in the car for an emergency. They are quite inexpensive. If you have a puncture on a road trip, the nearest tyre joint might inadvertently jack the car from the wrong spot and damage the battery. Good to have these on hand to avoid that risk.

Also consider a compact air compressor. I use a "Windgallop" about $40 on amazon. Plugs into the cig lighter.

Both good points. Interestingly, I had a flat tire recently and the Tesla-contracted roadside service guy arrived with a loaner wheel, but when he realised that he didn't have a jack pad he jacked it up anyway using a wood chock where the pad would have gone. Unsure how concerned I should have been at the time...

I also bought an air compressor so I could manage tire pressure in my own garage. I felt strangely guilty each time I drove into a petrol station to check my tires, then just leave.

Which one did you buy? I like the look of the top fit style.

That's the one I bought, I really like the look and the simplicity. The Hansshow Carplay device seemed like asking for trouble. Some good detail here:

Reactions: Leeroy
Good to know, did you do the install?

I see some difficulty with the Piggy back plug with the reviews. Haven’t come across anyone doing a RHD install as yet unfortunately.

I did the install myself. I routed the cable differently than the instructions suggested. They have it going through the air space and pinned by the air seals. I didn't like that idea, so routed it along the front edge of the dash on the outside of the air space. I put up a video for that. So far I've had no problems with it at all, and have done the big 2021.12.25.7.

Getting the piggyback/daisychain plug in was actually not hard for my case, easier than I expected. Did take me 10 minutes of fiddling though, not a slam dunk. Hardest part for me was popping the new plastic shell back into place, took me more than hour to do that part. Definitely a doable install, but it's on the harder side.

RHD should be no different I'd think, but maybe the MCU plug is harder to get on RHD car, not sure if they flip it or not.

Reactions: Leeroy
Added aftermarket brighter LED lights from RPMTesla. Trunk is woefully underlit for me, and added those and also replaced the driver door puddle lights for brighter.
Oh yeah... I forgot about the extra bright LEDs for the boot… I got those too. Oh, and the Jeda USB hub for the console, a 500 GB SSD, and USB charging cables for my phone. And “Model 3 Long Range” badge for the rear because “Dual Motor” just by itself looked… weird.

See... Buy a Tesla and you quickly forget how much other stuff you’ve bought for it 🤣

Reactions: demaw and moa999
Just a question and advice about mudflaps, I bought the Tesla ones from their shop but I'm now gathering they are only front mud flaps? I watched a clip last night and this guy said it. Did anyone just fit front ones? If not, do you reckon get a refund and buy from non tesla? Bit of a dilemma as have always had mud flaps but live in busy city and purely city driving.

Just a question and advice about mudflaps, I bought the Tesla ones from their shop but I'm now gathering they are only front mud flaps? I watched a clip last night and this guy said it. Did anyone just fit front ones? If not, do you reckon get a refund and buy from non tesla? Bit of a dilemma as have always had mud flaps but live in busy city and purely city driving.
You dont need mud flaps in the city. You only need mud flaps if you plan on driving through mud.

Reactions: demaw
You dont need mud flaps in the city. You only need mud flaps if you plan on driving through mud.
I've had the car two weeks now and wanted to wait and see what I felt I needed, but did buy the matte screen protector, organiser tray and cup inserts before getting it. After driving it (and loving it), I feel that the most significant thing I need is to have the screen be able to be tilted towards me. Contacted Tesla service to check having it done won't void warranty and they gave me an authorised Tesla repairer to go to for the install which won't void the warranty.

I will wait until it gets hotter before I look at the sunshades/roofshade and will likely request window tinting for Xmas!!

Probably the most significant thing though is to get the damn car properly registered in the ACT and have numberplates! I'm driving on a temporary registration.:oops:

Reactions: demaw
Hi all, I'm hoping to get my Tesla 3 2021 car soon and I'm looking at the Tesla shop and going to purchase a few things like a Screen protector, Glass roof sunshade front and rear, Centre Console Trays, Mud Flaps, Aero wheel cap kit, carpet front trunk mat, rear trunk mat, Model 3 Key Fob.
I found some sites like Tessories and Tesloz and wondering if you guys have purchased off them and if so, were the products just as good and top quality etc.
An example is the roof sunshades are $250 off the Shop and around $100 or so with these other companies. I'm happy to buy off the Shop but just seeing if I can save a few sneaky dollars still. I don't want to compromise too much on quality.

Is the charging on the left hand side of the car with the 2021 3 series?

Most things I'm buying are pretty standard but has anyone bought the screen protector and the sunshades and are they worth while?
Teslarati is a great site, in addition to RPM Tesla. If you’re buying custom carbon fiber mods (not the vinyl wraps, but real carbon fiber), be prepared for 21-28 days for shipping, as most of the CF components are coming directly from China.

I kept things minimal but I bought the non-matte screen protector from Abstract Ocean as on one of the rare occasions I took my previous BMW to a commercial car was they managed to put a significant scratch in the nav screen.

The screen protector is completely invisible when installed and smudge resistance/oleophobia seems identical to the actual display glass. I rate it for peace of mind for a few bucks outlay.

I also bought their aluminium grocery bag hook for the boot, which I can also recommend.

I bought the jack pucks as a precaution. Also a spare from Modern Spare.
Latest thing is a roof shade - the Tesla one. Fiddly to put up - the rim is springy wire and every time you get one of the (only) four clips in position another jumps out! Once you've nailed it though it goes taut and looks good. As well as cutting down the radiative heating it seems to cut the noise slightly but that's subjective.

Reactions: CAM3RON
I've got 4 too many jacking pucks resulting from problems with Aus Post. If anyone in the Northern parts of Sydney want to pick them up I am happy to sell for $15 which is $9 less than I paid and about $7 less than you can buy on eBay. They are the good quality ones with the red O-ring and I have tested one of the other 4 on my car and it is great. Pucks only- there is no case. I bought for Model 3 but I believe they fit S and X as well.