Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on buying used model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am seriously considering purchasing private party a used 2013 model S with 45k miles on it. Still under mfg warranry with ability to purchase extended warranty. Only thing giving me pause is that it was rear ended (seems to just have been cosmetic damage) and was repaired at an tesla authorized shop. It has a clean title with the one accident noted on the carfax.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I am seriously considering purchasing private party a used 2013 model S with 45k miles on it. Still under mfg warranry with ability to purchase extended warranty. Only thing giving me pause is that it was rear ended (seems to just have been cosmetic damage) and was repaired at an tesla authorized shop. It has a clean title with the one accident noted on the carfax.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Sounds like my car with 40k less miles. And I'm pretty happy with my car.

If you want to drop 45k, would you prefer to wait until the M3 revealing? Assuming it's a 85, there are only 4 more years left on the battery and drive unit warranty and consider the earlier Tesla does have quite a few problem from door handle to MCU. Also extended warranty is actually not a warranty but an agreement which is different from mfg warranty and you must take your Tesla in for service 12 months/12,500 miles service or your coverage will be affected.

If you want to drop 45k, would you prefer to wait until the M3 revealing? Assuming it's a 85, there are only 4 more years left on the battery and drive unit warranty and consider the earlier Tesla does have quite a few problem from door handle to MCU. Also extended warranty is actually not a warranty but an agreement which is different from mfg warranty and you must take your Tesla in for service 12 months/12,500 miles service or your coverage will be affected.

All fair points. How concerned should I be about the battery and drive train? I would hope that either or both would break down during the 4 years of warranty left? It's a great price imo at sub 40k.