Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on Charging While on the Cape

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there everyone. I'm anxiously waiting the arrival of a new 90D. I'd like to take it on our three-week vacation on the cape. I want to be able to use the Tesla on our trip instead of our ICE though. The house we are staying in does not have 240v readily available. I estimate I can get about 30-40 miles of charge overnight over 110v but that may require an extension cord which I understand is a no no. I can pick up a CHAdeMO adapter for some of those chargers exist on the cape, but they are still pretty far away.

It looks like I'll need to rely on public chargers or bring our ICE with us as a precaution. The house is 45 miles away from the Sagamore SC so that is not really an option except for a range charge on our way down to the cape.

My questions to all of you, if you cannot charge overnight, how have you charged your Tesla while on the cape? Are there any hidden spots that do not show up on plug share? Do you have any experience and helpful ideas you can share?

Thanks everyone for your advice!

There is a SuperCharger at Sagamore Beach that you could use once a week or so depending on yr driving needs. And if you can find a 120 V plug where you are staying that will get you 3-40 miles overnight.

I think it is doable.

Where in the cape will you be staying?

Extension cord is fine. Just make sure it's a quality 14 gauge cord. I used to use a 50 + 25 ft set to charge overnight during my week-long stays. Was more than enough. I now use a 100-foot 12 gauge cord. Just check the connection points (the ends of the cord) 15, 60, and 120 minutes in if there's any doubt -- make sure they're not hot (warm is fine).

110v should be sufficient. I always over-estimate how much driving I'll do out on the cape. Sagamore beach to provincetown is only 64 miles, so unless you are running a shuttle service end-to-end, you won't end up doing very many miles every day. :)

There are 2 chademo chargers @ the cape cod mall near Hyannis. One is standalone 40kw, the other is dual chademo/ccs @ 50kw. I usually hit that up if I need a quick charge, rather than crossing the bridge to go to Sagamore.

• Funny
Reactions: Jurnimon
Next time I go up to P-Town with my S I will probably stay at the B&B with a destination charger, but even if not (they are not pet friendly and I may have the pups in tow) I will def stop by the Sagamore Beach SC and charge to 90% so I have enough around town range for a long weekend.

240 miles at 90% less 120 miles for the round trip from the SC to P-Town and back still leaves around 120 rated miles in the tank. that's about 90 real world miles for around town driving. even without 120 V, for a long weekend, it would probably suffice.

The Red Inn in P-town has a brunch Sundays with a fantastic Jazz band. Beware of the parking lot though. The exit is extremely steep. I don't think it's possible to exit without scraping the pavement unless you have the air suspension.

This is totally unrelated to charging. I don't believe they have anything there.

• Informative
Reactions: Jurnimon
110v should be sufficient. I always over-estimate how much driving I'll do out on the cape. Sagamore beach to provincetown is only 64 miles, so unless you are running a shuttle service end-to-end, you won't end up doing very many miles every day. :)

There are 2 chademo chargers @ the cape cod mall near Hyannis. One is standalone 40kw, the other is dual chademo/ccs @ 50kw. I usually hit that up if I need a quick charge, rather than crossing the bridge to go to Sagamore.

yeah, That is true! We probably won't do that much driving on the cape that the 110v over night should cover it and the occasional trip to the mall CHAdeMO's make sense. Thanks!

The Red Inn in P-town has a brunch Sundays with a fantastic Jazz band. Beware of the parking lot though. The exit is extremely steep. I don't think it's possible to exit without scraping the pavement unless you have the air suspension.

This is totally unrelated to charging. I don't believe they have anything there.

We like a good jazz brunch. Thanks for the tip!

I'm making a similar trip in August. I've not starting to think too much about charging, as the PlugShare map is pretty good on first look.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    918.4 KB · Views: 42
I'm making a similar trip in August. I've not starting to think too much about charging, as the PlugShare map is pretty good on first look.

Yes, If you are staying in Hyannis you are golden. Most of those spots on the map that are not in Hyannis are Campgrounds. The logistics are iffy to use those I'd imagine. I think mmccord made a great point about overestimating how much driving we will do will do on the cape. I'm sure there will be a day or two that we do not use the car very much at all and the CHAdeMO in Hyannis can help if we are in a bind.

Thanks again everyone!