Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can schedule the car to start at 00:30 and then set a charge limit (%) if you won’t get a full charge in the 4 hours. I get around 54% charge on my SR+ in the window so you will get to know how much yours will take.

There’s another option in the car to set a departure time and off peak charging hours but the car decides when to start/stop charging. I only tried that once and although setting the off peak hours in the car it charged between 01:30-5:10 to 100%.

Certain charge points have off peak functions but I prefer to use the car so I can preheat while drawing power from the mains without faffing with my charge point settings.

Morning all. Awaiting delivery today of my Midnight Silver M3 LR! Very excited!

Just wanted to see how i would setup for my charging. I'm on Octopus go so I can schedule the start time for 0030? But then how do i stop it?

TIA

Are you charging from a 7kW EV charge point or another option (portable UMC charge point). LR owners usually report being able to get 40% charge in the 4 hour window with a standard 7kW charge point. So if your car has 50% when you plug in just set the charge limit on the car or on the Tesla app to 90% max ... or less if you only want to charge to say 80%. You don't need any other apps unless you really want to use one.

Are you charging from a 7kW EV charge point or another option (portable UMC charge point). LR owners usually report being able to get 40% charge in the 4 hour window with a standard 7kW charge point. So if your car has 50% when you plug in just set the charge limit on the car or on the Tesla app to 90% max ... or less if you only want to charge to say 80%. You don't need any other apps unless you really want to use one.
Ive got a Qubev Wall socket and was going to use the type 2 cable that comes with the car

Ive got a Qubev Wall socket and was going to use the type 2 cable that comes with the car

All my comments regarding 7kW charging will apply to that.
Depending on home setup some people find it a faff to use a non-tethered charge point if they are taking the cable in and out and coiling it up to put back in the car on a cold wet morning. Anything that discourages plugging in is to be avoided IMHO! See how you go but you could always get another Type 2 cable if you wanted and leave it plugged in the socket (£100 from Tesla ... that's good value for a Type 2 cable.)

Bad luck, from what I can see that doesn't seem to have any scheduling capabilities. I also assume you don't get the OLEV grant to have it fitted as that requires scheduling in the charger, which is why most have it.
Back to using a app to control the stop then, e.g. EV.Energy, TeslaStats, Ohme, TeslaFi.

Depending on home setup some people find it a faff to use a non-tethered charge point if they are taking the cable in and out and coiling it up to put back in the car on a cold wet morning. Anything that discourages plugging in is to be avoided IMHO! See how you go but you could always get another Type 2 cable if you wanted and leave it plugged in the socket (£100 from Tesla ... that's good value for a Type 2 cable.)
Great stuff. Thanks

Or £200 on Octopus to get an Ohme Type 2, that would then do the scheduling