Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on choosing 75 or 100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No problem, yes just two weeks ago I did the trip to Sun Peaks. We charged to 90ish% at Hope and made it to Kamloops with some to spare, this was with the cargo box and temps in the -10 to -23 range the whole way. Speed wise we were doing 80 to 110 during the duration. The Coq summit was a little greasy. I haven’t been to Kelowna though which sounds like more what you are interested in. Have you tried the online route planner on the Tesla website? Supposedly it works just like the one in the car.

@Hugh Mannity Wow. Great first hand experience. Thanks for sharing. Big White was the destination I was thinking about. But also Kelowna city as I might have regular meetings there. Good to know that you were able to do the Coq summit and still make it even with only a 90% charge at Hope.
Yes I checked the new route planner and it suggested a 10 min stop at Hope and a 35 min stop at Merit to make it to Big White. But it doesn't say what level of charge I'll have once I get there and if I'll have enough to get back to the supercharger on the way back home. But it is a start to help me plan some of these trips out.

a)Early on you mentioned that you could work from home. If it is a good idea to work one day/week from home (more efficient as no commuting time, no work distractions, less stress for you etc) then your charging issues are largely solved. Do not underestimate how much charge an extra 24hrs at 120v can get you-easily > one third of your 75 battery. That is even more so if you get 20 amp servie and are able to use the NEMA 5-20 rather than 5-15 adapter.
b)When planning trips keep the follwing in mind. With my 90D I have found 15-20% below rated km driving on the highway at 120-125kmh with air conditioning or slight heat (ie near 0o outside). Add another 10-15% that is 30-35% below rated for a longer highway trip at those speeds. Slowing down makes a BID difference. On a longer trip at 70-80kmh on level ground you can often exceed the rated range! Driving multiple short trips when it is -15o (or colder) with the battery heater and car heating kicking in can easily cut your range to half (or less) of rated range.

@George I Good to know. Yes one of the big challenges is the difference between rated range and realistic range with heat and a/c included. That's the big unknown. I wish they had a better route planning tool that allowed one to take those factors into account. But good to know you're experiencing 10-15% below rated range being taken up by heating. Also, didn't think about the higher speed causing an additional 10-15% loss but it makes sense. Thanks for the tips.

You’re welcome. I believe only available through Tesla, though maybe someone else has found a source. No reason you can’t buy them in advance, maybe a good idea anyhow if either isn’t in stock. Note: I believe all the cars now come with the “Gen 2” UMC. Be sure to buy the appropriate gen 5-20 adapter, the older style ones won’t fit the new UMC

@f-stop thanks for the Gen 2 tip. I will be sure to do so.

Supercharger map pins are placeholders. Typically on the city name in google maps.

I personally would not buy the adaptor early. I helped someone plan out their charging strategy, they bought everything early, and they started shipping the GEN2 EVSE the week they picked up the car.

BTW - I generally agree w/ the choice of the 75 over the 100, as long as you understand the planning involved for trips... and you don't need the range weekly. It's a significant chunk of change.

@brkaus Thanks for the advice. Yeah I guess it is a bit of a crap shoot with buying too much in advance.

A place like Westview and Hwy 1 is probably a good contender for the SC. Close to the highway and some amenities like McDs and Timmy’s.

Possibly Park Royal close to the sales centre?

@Hugh Mannity Agreed on both locations. Park Royal Mall is already strained for parking but hopefully the mall owners would realize that having a bunch of Tesla owners hanging about could turn out to be good patrons for their tenant shops. The other option in West Van would be Horseshoe Bay so that folks could charge up just before getting on the ferry or heading up to Whistler. Might be too close to the Squamish one, however.

I would definitely go 100D.

The cost difference is about $25,000 which isn't insignificant however consider the following:

1. The car will depreciate about 40% over the next 5 years so you're really only paying $10,000 for the upgrade

2. The car will go considerably further...and everyone who owns one of these would like more range. That's the longest range EV on earth right now. Lots of people take trips to weekend homes (cottages/lake houses/cabins/farm properties)...and they're usually about 150-250 kms away from the city they live in. Owning a 75D means you're DEFINITELY on the hook to charge at the destination or to supercharge on the way. Owning a 100D means you are most likely able to roundtrip it with no stops and that's pretty awesome.

3. The 100D is MUCH quicker. Guys will say the 75D is quick enough, but A6 3.0T owners say that to convince themselves they don't need/want an RS7 all the time, as do Mercedes E350 owners say the same thing vs. buying an E63. Running to 60 mph in mid to low 3 seconds is pretty outstanding and something that will put smiles on your face for years. It will also stun your passengers and that's pretty fun too. (this isn't accurate @aslam "and 0.1 seconds faster 0-100 acceleration (probably not even noticeable to the average human"...we're talking about the difference between 0-60 mph of 4.2-4.3 seconds and 3.5-3.6 seconds. That's a massive difference because the power to produce that gap is also present all the time. When going from 50-80 mph the 100D will be significantly quicker).

I'll sum it up like this. I have never heard a 100D owner say 'Man I wish I'd saved the $10,000 and bought the slower, less exclusive, shorter range car'...however when I talk to 60D/70D/75D owners lots of people talk about how nice it would be to have a 90D/100D for a bit more range and comfort and less reliance on charging networks.

NOW...I could also make a very compelling argument for buying the 75D. There's tons of SC springing up so range isn't a big deal...and the rest of the industry is rapidly going electric so soon there will be hundreds or thousands of charging locations beyond just Tesla's Superchargers.

My history was I bought a 70D, then when the time came I traded it in for a P90D...so you can see where I would vote (and where I did vote).

Last edited:

The cost difference is about $25,000 which isn't insignificant however consider the following:

1. The car will depreciate about 40% over the next 5 years so you're really only paying $10,000 for the upgrade

2. The car will go considerably further...and everyone who owns one of these would like more range. That's the longest range EV on earth right now. Lots of people take trips to weekend homes (cottages/lake houses/cabins/farm properties)...and they're usually about 150-250 kms away from the city they live in. Owning a 75D means you're DEFINITELY on the hook to charge at the destination or to supercharge on the way. Owning a 100D means you are most likely able to roundtrip it with no stops and that's pretty awesome.

3. The 100D is MUCH quicker. Guys will say the 75D is quick enough, but A6 3.0T owners say that to convince themselves they don't need/want an RS7 all the time, as do Mercedes E350 owners say the same thing vs. buying an E63. Running to 60 mph in mid to low 3 seconds is pretty outstanding and something that will put smiles on your face for years. It will also stun your passengers and that's pretty fun too. (this isn't accurate @aslam "and 0.1 seconds faster 0-100 acceleration (probably not even noticeable to the average human"...we're talking about the difference between 0-60 mph of 4.2-4.3 seconds and 3.5-3.6 seconds. That's a massive difference because the power to produce that gap is also present all the time. When going from 50-80 mph the 100D will be significantly quicker).

I'll sum it up like this. I have never heard a 100D owner say 'Man I wish I'd saved the $10,000 and bought the slower, less exclusive, shorter range car'...however when I talk to 60D/70D/75D owners lots of people talk about how nice it would be to have a 90D/100D for a bit more range and comfort and less reliance on charging networks.

NOW...I could also make a very compelling argument for buying the 75D. There's tons of SC springing up so range isn't a big deal...and the rest of the industry is rapidly going electric so soon there will be hundreds or thousands of charging locations beyond just Tesla's Superchargers.

My history was I bought a 70D, then when the time came I traded it in for a P90D...so you can see where I would vote (and where I did vote).

@sakimano Thanks for the thoughts. You raise a good point that everyone always wants a bigger battery. As you might have seen in my Order Update post, I ended up going for a 75D with the idea that my girlfriend will take it from me a year from now and then I will aim to step up to the P100D where I really get something unique for the extra cash. That keeps the price down in the short term as well, which is nice. We'll see how that works.

As for your speed comparisons, something seems weird with those numbers. Here are the numbers I just pulled from the Tesla Canada site:

0-100 km/h
75D: 4.4 sec
100D: 4.3 sec
P100D: 2.7 sec

source: Order a Model S (CA)

And here are the mph numbers I just pulled from the US site:

0-60 mph
75D: 4.2 sec
100D: 4.1 sec
P100D: 2.5 sec

source: Order a Model S (US)

So with that in mind, I feel like the acceleration difference between the 75D and the 100D might not be as big. But the difference between the 75D and the P100D, well now that's something big. And that's why I'm targeting that if all continues to go well with work and budget, my partner will take over the 75D payments in a year and I'll upgrade to the P100D... fingers crossed. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: SmartElectric
@aslam you can't go wrong really as both choices were excellent and could be argued all day. There's a reason your thread went 5 pages as quickly as it did...both sides have good arguments which means you can't go wrong.

As you mentioned if you decide to add another one later you can do so then with experience to dictate whether or not you want a bigger battery or a P model. Best to start in the 75. be sure you like it for one...that's why I started with a 70D. Wasn't sure about the whole electric car thing and didn't want to make a massive financial commitment to something I could potentially have decided was not enjoyable after 6 months. Fortunately i quite liked the experience so I went P90D.

The tesla site for whatever reason has some old data. When they 'uncorked' the 75D it took them a while to adjust the 0-60 times. They've uncorked the 100D now too, and the updated performance is pretty special.

here's someone who tested one when they got a 100D as a loaner for their Tesla...3.59 0-60 mph

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
@aslam you can't go wrong really as both choices were excellent and could be argued all day. There's a reason your thread went 5 pages as quickly as it did...both sides have good arguments which means you can't go wrong.

As you mentioned if you decide to add another one later you can do so then with experience to dictate whether or not you want a bigger battery or a P model. Best to start in the 75. be sure you like it for one...that's why I started with a 70D. Wasn't sure about the whole electric car thing and didn't want to make a massive financial commitment to something I could potentially have decided was not enjoyable after 6 months. Fortunately i quite liked the experience so I went P90D.

The tesla site for whatever reason has some old data. When they 'uncorked' the 75D it took them a while to adjust the 0-60 times. They've uncorked the 100D now too, and the updated performance is pretty special.

here's someone who tested one when they got a 100D as a loaner for their Tesla...3.59 0-60 mph

@sakimano Wow. I didn't know anything about the "uncorking". This is the first I've heard of it! I was only going based on their published website numbers which indicated no real difference between the two when it comes to acceleration. However that video seems to indicate that the website numbers are not accurate.

I did some research and found two electrek articles about the uncorking, however:
Tesla is unlocking extra power in older Model S and X 75D vehicles – cutting a second off 0-60 mph acceleration
Tesla unlocks even more power in Model S 100D, 0-60 mph now down to 3.6 seconds

Has anyone done speed tests on the uncorked 75D to see if that is actually faster than the website's published 4.2? Or better yet anyone done a speed comparison between an uncorked 75D and an uncorked 100D?

I wish I had known about this whole "uncorking" thing. That might have actually pushed me a little more towards the 100D. I've just been going off the website numbers. Gotta say I'm feeling little buyer's remorse on this front. Why are they not giving accurate info on their website? Should I change my order? Would be really good to know accurate numbers on the uncorked 75D.

I do think there is some measurement fun and games. The P100D was measured WITH rollout. The S100D & 75D were always measured WITHOUT rollout. The motor trend measurements are again WITH rollout. Rollout accounts for about 0.3 second.

If you’re considering a second Model S or X in the future, I’d stick with a 100D instead of the P100D unless you don’t mind paying ICBC higher rates because the P100D is on the “luxury car” list. I changed my order last year from a XP100D to a X100D because the insurance coverage would cost $5600/yr vs $2700/yr.

Some P90D and P100D owners have gotten optional insurance coverage from Belair Direct and it was about $2500 in total with basic insurance from ICBC. There are stories of people getting jacked up rates if they get a traffic violation.

With an uncorked 100D, I think that is plenty fast for Lower Mainland traffic and roads.

I do think there is some measurement fun and games. The P100D was measured WITH rollout. The S100D & 75D were always measured WITHOUT rollout. The motor trend measurements are again WITH rollout. Rollout accounts for about 0.3 second.

@brkaus Interesting. I'm learning so much. So assuming rollout is 0.3 seconds, what is the apples to apples number? Do I increase the time of the one with rollout by 0.3 seconds or decrease it by 0.3?

If you’re considering a second Model S or X in the future, I’d stick with a 100D instead of the P100D unless you don’t mind paying ICBC higher rates because the P100D is on the “luxury car” list. I changed my order last year from a XP100D to a X100D because the insurance coverage would cost $5600/yr vs $2700/yr.

Some P90D and P100D owners have gotten optional insurance coverage from Belair Direct and it was about $2500 in total with basic insurance from ICBC. There are stories of people getting jacked up rates if they get a traffic violation.

With an uncorked 100D, I think that is plenty fast for Lower Mainland traffic and roads.

@dmd2005 Yes this is a good point. I have been planning to go split the insurance and go with ICBC + Belaire even for my 75D because I will save about $700 over going all in with ICBC. But I haven't heard about people getting their rates jacked up after a traffic violation. Is that Belaire that was doing that or ICBC?

On point 1: Are you saying there is a difference in depreciation between the 100D and the 75D?
Thanks

Wait, the 100Ds can get uncorked as well? Damn, I thought it was only the 75s. Gonna have to request that when I go for servicing in the summer.

Not all 100D’s can get uncorked. Depends on the drive unit you have and when it was built. I asked the Vancouver Service center in December and they said only US 100D’s are being uncorked so far. I’ll be at the Vancouver store again today to pick up a couple of parts and will ask again when the 100D uncorking will be available.

No uncorking for 85D or 90D...wish it was available for my S90D.

Not all 100D’s can get uncorked. Depends on the drive unit you have and when it was built. I asked the Vancouver Service center in December and they said only US 100D’s are being uncorked so far. I’ll be at the Vancouver store again today to pick up a couple of parts and will ask again when the 100D uncorking will be available.

No uncorking for 85D or 90D...wish it was available for my S90D.

Based on the bit of reading on uncorking I did, it seemed like only those vehicles manufactured after June 19, 2017 were eligible to be uncorked. They have to have the DU00 drive unit. I'm not sure how you find out what drive unit you have, though. Anyone have any suggestions for that?