Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on choosing 75 or 100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of purchasing my first Tesla (a Model S) and I'm looking for some advice from this community on choosing the 75 or the 100.

My Expected Use:
I drive about 75KM per day on weekdays (to/from work) and a bit more on weekends.

My Charger Access:
I know that I will only have access 110V/15A charging in my condo and based on a 9-hour nightly charge time (Tesla told me I would gain 6KM per hour on 110V), I believe that I will not recoup my weekday driving overnight. Therefore I predict I will end/begin each day probably about 20KM in deficit. There is a free CHAdeMO station about two blocks from my place and so I figured I could go once a week to get back to even. Therefore it is still workable but I will be dealing with regular deficits that I will have to make up eventually or work from home one day a week (easily done with my job) to make that up.

Canadian Weather Effects:
I live in Vancouver and so I don't have to deal with super cold weather eating away at my battery efficiency, but it is still Canada and so I do expect my efficiency to go down somewhat during winter which, if I'm not mistaken, will leave me further in deficit during those months. My step-brother, who got a new Model S last year, has told me his efficiency has gone down about 30% during this winter.

My Questions...

1. Considering my situation, do you think I would be OK with the 75D? It is much more affordable based on current Tesla finance rates (about $280/month less). As it is, this is an expensive purchase and I don't want to make it any more expensive than I need to, but I also don't want to find myself suffering and wishing I had bought the 100D.

I'm especially interested if there are any 75D owners who can give me their experience. Do you wish you had bought the 100D or are you fine with the 75D?

2. I'm a little concerned that with weekly DC charging (maybe twice weekly in winter) I might be affected by the software limit I've read about. That is where the Tesla software eventually reduces/limits your top charging speed in order to prevent the battery from degrading. Do you folks think I will hit up against that limit? I've been told that this primarily affects people who DC charge daily, but where is the limit? Will I be testing it with my weekly DC charging or should I be safe?

Any advice you folk can provide will be immensely helpful. I'm planning to put my custom order in this week and so I need to make a decision now.

Thanks,
Aslam

The common answer to this seem to be "buy the biggest battery you can afford", but if you are like me, don't overspend unnecessarily. I have S75 (non-D), so my range is slightly less than dual motor version. There were only a handful situations where I wish I had a bit more range, but nothing I could not overcome with a bit of planning. I had it for 6 months and already 14,000 miles on it by the way.

Seems like you are not concerned about severe winter conditions depriving you of range. I would say go with 75 in this case.

I can't confirm or deny any stories related to DC charging, but as long as you don't overcharge your car (set it to 100% and leave it in that condition for extended time) you don't have to worry about it.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
I own a 90D and in th winter I find myself wishing I had a 100D simply because I don’t believe there is anything like too much range. My 90% is about 425km. This year my actual range is about 250km on a 90% charge. It goes fast.

Not to mention the 100D has more pep, to me it’s a no brainer if you can afford it.

***Also you might want to look up the quick220 charger to improve your home charging situation.

• Helpful
Reactions: Not1Drop and aslam
@aslam, not sure if you are familiar with applications such as PlugShare. They will give you an additional information about charging options around you. Many shopping malls (such as Whole Foods in US) have L2 chargers operated by ChargePoint or other providers. You have ChargePoint, FLO and others in Canada.

I guess it would be a tough sell for the landlord to install dedicated charger, but it could be worth the shot.

Last edited:
Back in the day there were 40's, 60's, and 85's. I definitely appreciated having the 85, and even in worst-case driving conditions I never came close to running out of juice in town. On two days ever I used up most (but not all) of the 85 pack without leaving town, but those were seriously major outliers in terms of car usage. (And I started at 90% charge.)

In Canada a 40 pack would have been a big mistake. A 65 pack would sometimes be limiting, IMHO. Anything above 85 is definitely not limiting at all.

Chances are a 75 pack would be sufficient in Vancouver, since you don't get the extreme cold that we do. That said, if you head off into the mountains then you might need more.

Upshot: A 75 would not be a mistake. It might on rare occasions mean that you need a mid-day charge, but with due care probably not.

Depends a lot on what you’re getting it for. If your Tesla is going to be a daily drive and not much else the 75 is probably fine. I would recommend getting or finding a NEMA 14-50 to charge from but that’s a luxury.
If you’re planning on doing road trips in your Tesla, then the 75 just won’t cut it, you’ll need the extra range the 100 affords you. I’m on the opposite coast near Halifax, and I went with the 100D for a simple reason: there is a massive lack of DCFC and superchargers here in NS. I do plan on doing some road trips, since I’m eager to show off a Tesla to everyone I can to raise awareness in what they’re doing, so for me the 100 was a no brainer.
YMMV. ;)

I am in the process of purchasing my first Tesla (a Model S) and I'm looking for some advice from this community on choosing the 75 or the 100.

My Expected Use:
I drive about 75KM per day on weekdays (to/from work) and a bit more on weekends.

My Charger Access:
I know that I will only have access 110V/15A charging in my condo and based on a 9-hour nightly charge time (Tesla told me I would gain 6KM per hour on 110V), I believe that I will not recoup my weekday driving overnight. Therefore I predict I will end/begin each day probably about 20KM in deficit. There is a free CHAdeMO station about two blocks from my place and so I figured I could go once a week to get back to even. Therefore it is still workable but I will be dealing with regular deficits that I will have to make up eventually or work from home one day a week (easily done with my job) to make that up.

Canadian Weather Effects:
I live in Vancouver and so I don't have to deal with super cold weather eating away at my battery efficiency, but it is still Canada and so I do expect my efficiency to go down somewhat during winter which, if I'm not mistaken, will leave me further in deficit during those months. My step-brother, who got a new Model S last year, has told me his efficiency has gone down about 30% during this winter.

My Questions...

1. Considering my situation, do you think I would be OK with the 75D? It is much more affordable based on current Tesla finance rates (about $280/month less). As it is, this is an expensive purchase and I don't want to make it any more expensive than I need to, but I also don't want to find myself suffering and wishing I had bought the 100D.

I'm especially interested if there are any 75D owners who can give me their experience. Do you wish you had bought the 100D or are you fine with the 75D?

2. I'm a little concerned that with weekly DC charging (maybe twice weekly in winter) I might be affected by the software limit I've read about. That is where the Tesla software eventually reduces/limits your top charging speed in order to prevent the battery from degrading. Do you folks think I will hit up against that limit? I've been told that this primarily affects people who DC charge daily, but where is the limit? Will I be testing it with my weekly DC charging or should I be safe?

Any advice you folk can provide will be immensely helpful. I'm planning to put my custom order in this week and so I need to make a decision now.

Thanks,
Aslam
Hi Aslam

We've had our 60 for three years now, and live on the North Shore

Personally, range anxiety or battery envy has never happened to us, though initially we thought it might. We can charge at home at 40A/240V so are fortunate in that respect - but could easily make do with 15A/120V

You'll probably be fine with your commute, but I'd see you cursing not being able to jump in the car and tootle off at short notice

Whilst a larger battery may seem to be the solution, don't forget that you still need to 'fill' it

Have you tried speaking to the Strata association to see if they would consider allowing you to fit a high current charger in your garage, or even if your employer could do the same where you work?

In my example, I have been looking at Tesla back in 2010. Then when the S came to be I really fell in love. I was always able to find an end game of things that I wanted in life but the Tesla was so far out of reach. Now today with the S75 RWD and no additional options, it was affordable. For me it was the best way to buy into a Tesla. In your example if you could go with a bigger battery, I feel it's a much better investment. Not just for a much longer range but with a larger battery comes a much shorter time spent at a supercharger when you are on road trips. Not feasible to upgrade later from a 75 to 100 if you find yourself short. Cold weather does play a factor in range, just look around on the forum. Not to say that you can't do it with a 75. The wife and I just got back from a 3900 mile two week ride from Lake Charles LA to Rhode Island, over to Ohio and back down. Not really a factor going through the Pocono mountains other than getting a little extra charge at each charger along route 80. So, yes the 75 has great range but the 100 is 76 miles more! BTW, If you crunch the numbers, it's $7.00 cheaper per kWh to buy the 100.

Your budget dictates a lot. Obvious choice would be 100D.Just for Vancouver drive 75D should be fine.you already have worked out you short trips. Sign up for all the apps. already suggested.
In any EV long trips need to be planned well, its all about charging, Know the charging available at your destination prior to your departure, maintain a very safe buffer.

Reactions: mrElbe
I was in your shoes a while back ...actually I was looking at used CPO cars thinking "how can I spend this mush money on a car" then I went almost all in and got a new S100D and am happy I did. With the reduction in range due to all this cold weather I love having the extra storage.

It is not that much more and you will not regret it...at least I haven't

• Helpful
Reactions: aslam
I’d try to get 240 charging. Even if just a 240/20 or 240/30 amp outlet. It would make a huge difference.

If the outlet is currently on a dedicated circuit, it wouldn’t be a difficult change.

The Gen2 EVSE has a wider selection of outlet adapters.

I had pondered going with a 60. Fortunately, my wife talked me into an 85. Have never regretted it. And, am now eager to move to a 100.

That's with a short commute. In Southern California.

You won't need the extra ... until you do. And, then you'll regret not having it.

Keep in mind that even coastal chill hurts mileage significantly. Uphills kill it. As do ski racks or bike racks. So, even the 600m gain to Whistler, to only -5C cold, with a ski rack, could cut your mileage in half.

Plus, you don't want battery to dictate your choice of destinations. If you want to go over to Victoria and then up past Sooke on the west coast of Vancouver Island, do you really want to worry about running dry?

Just my two cents from down here in the States ... :)

I am in the process of purchasing my first Tesla (a Model S) and I'm looking for some advice from this community on choosing the 75 or the 100.[...]
hi @aslam

I've owned my 70D for just over 2 years now, here in Vancouver. My car is one of the original 70kW ones, not the ones that could be software-unlocked to 75kW. I only have 120V charging at home (+6km rated range/hr) but I supplement that with public 240V L2 charging around town when convenient and if I'm going somewhere anyhow that has a charger in their parking lot. As others have mentioned, Plugshare is your friend, and you'll find a lot of free public charging options in the Lower Mainland - (I'm familiar with quite a few, particularly near downtown, just ask...)

Aside from the free DC fast charger you mentioned near to you, for other public L2 charging, be sure to sign up for a free ChargePoint account, and also a free FLO account - many of the networked public chargers are on those two networks (there are also other non-networked chargers that you simply plug in to use). ChargePoint also offeres a free RFID card, but FLO wants $15 for theirs. But be sure to also get their free smartphone apps - those are also an easy way to activate a charge. (ChargePoint stations can also be activated via Apple Watch)

Of course 240V charging at home is the best solution, but 120V is managable if your daily mileage is low and you can supplement with public charging. BTW, the City of Vancouver's website I believe has some resources for owners trying to convince their strata to install EV chargers; the city has also launched a trial/pilot program for "curbside" charging

At the time I purchased my Model S, the only larger battery option was 85kW - but based on my expected daily driving mileage (perhaps half of yours, typically) I could not justify the extra cost of bigger battery vs equipping the car with the other options I really wanted - I am still fine my choice 2yrs later. If money were no object then of course I'd pick a larger battery.

I've taken road trips in my 70D from here to the Bay Area CA, the Okanagan (summer only), plus Whistler, Seattle and Oregon, several times. No problems/concerns with range. Whenever possible when traveling, I try to stay at hotels that offer destination charging, or are near a Supercharger. Of course, in winter the car's range is affected but it's not that bad here on the west coast compared to other parts of the country - if you were planning frequent winter trips to the Okanagan for example, perhaps a bigger battery is a good idea. I don't take frequent long road trips, but if I did so frequently, perhaps again a bigger battery would be more of a priority.

Since my daily driving mileage is low, I typically only charge to about 65-70% overnight at home. I don't know if that's a factor but in the 2 years since I bought the car, it's battery capacity hasn't decreased at all, the rated range at 90% (347km) or 100% (386km) is same as when I purchased it. I've Supercharged the car on road trips perhaps about 40 times total in 2 years.

any other questions about my experience with the 70D or tips on local L2 charging options, just ask

The common answer to this seem to be "buy the biggest battery you can afford", but if you are like me, don't overspend unnecessarily. I have S75 (non-D), so my range is slightly less than dual motor version. There were only a handful situations where I wish I had a bit more range, but nothing I could not overcome with a bit of planning. I had it for 6 months and already 14,000 miles on it by the way.

Seems like you are not concerned about severe winter conditions depriving you of range. I would say go with 75 in this case.

I can't confirm or deny any stories related to DC charging, but as long as you don't overcharge your car (set it to 100% and leave it in that condition for extended time) you don't have to worry about it.

Yes I am concerned about overspending. This is already an expensive purchase and I don't want to spend additional money if I'm not going to really need it. Thanks for the real 75 pack user experience.

I own a 90D and in th winter I find myself wishing I had a 100D simply because I don’t believe there is anything like too much range. My 90% is about 425km. This year my actual range is about 250km on a 90% charge. It goes fast.

Not to mention the 100D has more pep, to me it’s a no brainer if you can afford it.

***Also you might want to look up the quick220 charger to improve your home charging situation.

Thanks for the range numbers. Those are really helpful in range modelling to know what real world/actual range has been for someone.

Also super thanks for the suggestion about the Quick220. I didn't know that existed or was even possible. I've looked it up and sent the info to the electrician who will be doing the install of the plug in my condo's parking garage to see if he can put two plugs that are on different circuits/phases. Fingers crossed that he can. If so, then that will make life much easier and take me out of the daily deficit.

Reactions: Struja