Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on color and protection options for cream interior

Which color is best if I care about possible FWD sensor issues and choose not to use PPF

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking long and hard about this and I wanted to get people's feedback on this. I currently have an order in for deep blue metallic + cream leather with a light headliner.

I have been debating PPF and ceramic coating, but I honestly don't care about preserving the paint of the car to increase resale value (I do somewhat care about making sure the car doesn't look terrible with dirt and scratches though). What I care about is ease of cleaning, and I've found products like Chemical Guys EcoSmart RU that would allow me to clean the car in my garage by using a bunch of microfiber towels and a spray bottle. (We can debate in another thread if that actually causes paint damage. I believe the answer is no, IF done properly)

My main concern is the darkness of the deep blue metallic. I think that if I keep the blue, I'm almost compelled* to do a full body wrap so my FWDs and the rest of the car don't show marks like rock chips (people keying my car, in the off chance that happens), door dings (happens way too frequently), etc. However, I have a hard time really justifying the extra 5-7k for a wrap + ceramic coating (if I choose to coat on top).

* I don't really need to. I could not wrap it or protect it, but every single scratch/chip/dirt/blemish may show.

Another possibly downside of blue is that it's a darker color, and some people (not a majority) have reported sensor malfunction issues with darker colored cars more than light colored cars. That isn't necessarily true, and that I acknowledge that's almost certainly FUD, but it's just another reason why it may not be a good option.

Should I just pay the $500 and change to silver metallic? It's a more muted color, doesn't draw attention, has no color pop, but is just safer. It doesn't show dirt much, it hides scratches and chips and generally provides a cooler car for texas summers.

I'm not really representing the argument fully right now, but I think I've gotten most of my concerns across.

What would you do? Just keep the blue because what the heck, it's a car and who cares if it shows scratches and chips more? Go with silver because there might be a multitude of reasons (both visual and technical) that it might be a safer pick?

What do you guys think of silver + cream combination? Is that even decent-looking?

Be curious to get your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

I debated over Deep Blue Metallic, Midnight Silver Metallic and Silver Metallic last August. I ended up getting the Silver Metallic. My thinking at the time was that I was looking for a more muted color to blend in (self conscious at the time about getting a Tesla, let alone a model X with FWD), and also because there were already two other model X's in town - one midnight silver, and the other blue. Lame reasons I must admit. In hindsight, I could have gone with blue - it's a beautiful color. I still love my silver metallic though. It does ok hiding the grime between washes. I had contemplated a frontal wrap and coating but never did it. With nearly 20k miles in 9 months of ownership, I fear that ship may have sailed.

I would go with the color you like and the rest will play out from there.

Reactions: TexasRat
I debated over Deep Blue Metallic, Midnight Silver Metallic and Silver Metallic last August. I ended up getting the Silver Metallic. My thinking at the time was that I was looking for a more muted color to blend in (self conscious at the time about getting a Tesla, let alone a model X with FWD), and also because there were already two other model X's in town - one midnight silver, and the other blue. Lame reasons I must admit. In hindsight, I could have gone with blue - it's a beautiful color. I still love my silver metallic though. It does ok hiding the grime between washes. I had contemplated a frontal wrap and coating but never did it. With nearly 20k miles in 9 months of ownership, I fear that ship may have sailed.

I would go with the color you like and the rest will play out from there.
Funny I had some of the exact same thoughts as you. Just the other day I saw a blue X driving by in the opposite direction close to my house, but I haven't seen a silver metallic one. Glad to know at least that silver does a good job hiding that grime.

I have a couple of weeks before my X hits production, so I will think about it for sure.

Just wanted to update that I went back to the gallery and looked at silver and blue cars. The blue looks so good in person. It shows swirl marks but you'd have to get pretty darn close to look at it. I'm sticking with blue and will just deal with chips and scratches if/when that comes.

Regarding the sensors, my SA told me that they just recently changed their sensor manufacturer for the door sensors to hopefully (he sounded pretty confident) address the phantom object issue. He said that it has been used in production vehicles for about a month or so now. I'm hoping that's true and there will just be no issues regarding sensors, regardless of color.

I have a blue MX and love the color. I notice small scratches and blemishes when I wash it, but still love it. That being said, I will probably get a silver Model 3 (or Y if they take too long to get air suspension out) because I do not want two blue Teslas and think the silver will require less washing to look nice and show the swirls and scratches less. If you can focus on beauty and not get hung up on blemishes when looking close go for the blue, but if you are more the perfectionist who would be bugged every time you see blemish, go silver. Personally, I would only go with black interior if the outside is silver; it's such a classic nice look. Cream is great with blue. BTW light headliner shows fingerprints a lot more.

Blue looks great in person ...too many pearl white X’s(mine included:eek:) ...with cream interior silver /cream wouldn’t look good IMO...some of these sensor “issues” are overrated I live part time in SoCal dessert where temps are 105+ now and don’t have issues ...not that many blues out there and I think you made great choice on color combos !;)

Reactions: TexasRat
Blue looks great in person ...too many pearl white X’s(mine included:eek:) ...with cream interior silver /cream wouldn’t look good IMO...some of these sensor “issues” are overrated I live part time in SoCal dessert where temps are 105+ now and don’t have issues ...not that many blues out there and I think you made great choice on color combos !;)
Thanks for that data point! Seeing blue in person again just made me that much more confident that I love the color to death. Even if there are swirl marks from the factory or from myself over time, you honestly don’t see them unless you get really really close to them. Chips might be another story, but I’m going to see how that goes.

I’m hoping that sensor issues are a minority and I don’t have them :)

Reactions: P85_DA
I have a 75D with PUP. No EAP/FSD. Blue metallic with cream leather interior with the oak, not the CF.

I had definitely considered every option, but I just don’t need the range and charging speed increase of 72A. I figured if I want EAP/FSD in the future I can just pay for it later, though it’s a little more expensive.

Nice ! ...can’t wait to see your posted pics when u get !;)
Yeah it'll still be a while at this point. My DS told me the car is expected to begin production in the 1st or 2nd week of July, so I will most likely get it towards the end of next month. It's a long wait, but it gives me time to plan out where I'm installing my 14-50, getting my chargepoint account set up and figuring out what to do about tinting and other car prep :)