Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on config for new LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to wait until after battery day ” just in case” but will be ordering a S shortly after.

A couple questions.

Has anyone seen a midnight silver with cream interior? Íf so what's your opinion on that combination?

I like the look of the carbon 19” wheels. Are there negatives with them wrt to durability/repairability, ease of curb rash and any change to e-mpg vs. standard ones. I assume they weigh less?

Are there any aftermarket changes you suggest? I plan on good tint and possibly protection for front facia and the ”hood”.

Thanks!

Midnight silver and cream will look great. The Tempest wheels will be a bit more efficient in highway driving and if you curb one you will probably only scrape the hubcap so those are the advantages but the carbon Slipstream wheels are much better looking. I would definitely choose them for the appearance alone: you would probably never even notice the few additional miles of range that you would get from the Tempest wheels.

Midnight silver and cream will look great. The Tempest wheels will be a bit more efficient in highway driving and if you curb one you will probably only scrape the hubcap so those are the advantages but the carbon Slipstream wheels are much better looking. I would definitely choose them for the appearance alone: you would probably never even notice the few additional miles of range that you would get from the Tempest wheels.
It’s interesting you say this because Tesla doesn’t advertise a different range number for the hubcap wheels vs slipstreams

Reactions: electricar
It’s interesting you say this because Tesla doesn’t advertise a different range number for the hubcap wheels vs slipstreams

I noticed that too but better aerodynamics is the only reason to supply wheels with hubcaps. I have read that the Aero wheels are more efficient than the Sport wheels on the Model 3 but can't find a range difference on the Tesla website so maybe this is the same. Unless of course they are cheaper to source and the hope is that most people will spend the additional money to upgrade to the Slipstream wheels. A win-win situation for a company known for truth in advertising and respect for the customer.

I noticed that too but better aerodynamics is the only reason to supply wheels with hubcaps. I have read that the Aero wheels are more efficient than the Sport wheels on the Model 3 but can't find a range difference on the Tesla website so maybe this is the same. Unless of course they are cheaper to source and the hope is that most people will spend the additional money to upgrade to the Slipstream wheels. A win-win situation for a company known for truth in advertising and respect for the customer.
If the hub caps offered better range then I’m sure Tesla would advertise that mainly to push the range bar higher. I don’t think there’s a meaningful difference.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
I was going to get the slipstream too. I wonder if it's a supply issue and they'll be back?

I was looking at ohm wheels. Does anyone have those in 19”. They claim their rolled forging makes them stronger and lighter. They are almost 5# less per wheel.

1- any comments on durability or ease of curb rash?
2 - would I notice the 5# difference in ride quality or e-mpg?

I like the look of 21s on the Model S, but I also like the efficiency, cheaper tires, and winter use on the 19s. I ended up buying both after I purchased the car. Some people split the difference and buy used Model X 20” sonic carbon slipstreams for their S. Point is, there are more options than what you can order. Maybe consider the stock Tempest and buy used take-offs or aftermarket if you prefer something else.

Regarding other items to consider, I went with Opti-Coat ceramic paint protection and Opti-Glass solution for the windshield, as well. Some prefer vinyl wrap - colored or clear. Paint and glass seem vulnerable, so anything to help protect was worth it to me since I want to keep the car for many years and avoid SC visits if possible.

I did the all weather mats throughout, lighted door sills by Norm, a few audio upgrades, brighter interior LEDs throughout, and an organizer for the lower trunk.

I hope you will enjoy your new S. Have fun planning and anticipating, as well.

I was going to get the slipstream too. I wonder if it's a supply issue and they'll be back?

I was looking at ohm wheels. Does anyone have those in 19”. They claim their rolled forging makes them stronger and lighter. They are almost 5# less per wheel.

1- any comments on durability or ease of curb rash?
2 - would I notice the 5# difference in ride quality or e-mpg?
Probably not, before they were removed Tesla reduced the price to 1500 bucks, which means they tried getting rid of them.

My car is five years old, I only have the front clear bra with 4mm headlight and 8mm puddlelight films, but would have covered the rear doors also, somehow the aerodynamics make the little pebbles hit right in front of the rear door rear edge. Can others confirm?

And if you have munchkins door edge trims are a must.

Of course two windshields busted by the Marcellus Shelf dino polluter explorers and their mudflapless white trucks, yuck!

Reactions: Eric M