Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on CPO 2016 face lift, no AP2 - what equip do these cars have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering buying one of the 2016 refreshed AP1 (no AP2 equipment) CPO Tesla Model S listed on tesla.com. Based on the vehicle description, these cars have SOME but NOT ALL of the equipment on the fully refreshed cars post 170k+ vins.

For example, a lot of these face-lifted cars that don't have AP2 have:
- Integrated center console
- HEPA air filter

Does anyone know what other equipment is on these facelift cars that don't have AP2 installed?

An example - Inventory Search | Tesla

I'm considering buying one of the 2016 refreshed AP1 (no AP2 equipment) CPO Tesla Model S listed on tesla.com. Based on the vehicle description, these cars have SOME but NOT ALL of the equipment on the fully refreshed cars post 170k+ vins.

For example, a lot of these face-lifted cars that don't have AP2 have:
- Integrated center console
- HEPA air filter

Does anyone know what other equipment is on these facelift cars that don't have AP2 installed?

An example - Inventory Search | Tesla

"Refresh" cars have the flat (non-nosecone) front. As you know, some post-refresh cars have AP1, some have AP2.

The integrated center console was I believe a part of the refresh. There are a couple different variants of the integrated center console (I think the very earliest ones did not have rear cupholders or rear USB ports, later ones did). I have the feeling that those earlier versions of the integrated center console were AP1 cars.

The HEPA air filter might be a part of the "bio-weapon defense mode" feature, which was a component of the premium package on the post-refresh Model S. (The premium package at the time also included the powered liftgate and ambient lighting, among possibly other features that I don't remember...the features added by the premium package have changed over time. As of this writing, all of the features that were in the premium package are now folded into the base Model S.) In any case the premium package on a car is independent of whether the car has AP1 or AP2.

Hope that's useful...

Bruce.

I’d take AP1 over AP2 any day! Finding a refresh Tesla with AP1 is somewhat a unicorn :)

Not really a unicorn...there was about half a year or so between the time the refresh happened (April-ish 2016) and when AP2 hardware hit (October-ish 2016). Plenty of cars produced during that time...I might not have the dates exactly right, but there was a pretty long time during which refresh AP1 Model S were produced. I'd guess you'll see more of them becoming available when some 3-year leases expire next year, kind of like S85Ds and SP85Ds this year.

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: Aieukl378
The center console occurred around the time of the refresh but was not part of it.

When I picked up my pre-facelift no-console AP1 car, there were both facelift and pre-facelift cars that had center consoles. I believe they started shipping in March 2016.

Not really a unicorn...there was about half a year or so between the time the refresh happened (April-ish 2016) and when AP2 hardware hit (October-ish 2016). Plenty of cars produced during that time...I might not have the dates exactly right, but there was a pretty long time during which refresh AP1 Model S were produced. I'd guess you'll see more of them becoming available when some 3-year leases expire next year, kind of like S85Ds and SP85Ds this year.

Bruce.

Agreed...sort of. 6 months of production out of 6 yrs...so I guess around 10% of the MS on the road would be an AP1 pre- facelift? 1 out of 10 ...out of which a fraction would have the exact config one would want, mileage, colour etc.

Ok not a unicorn but definitely a rare breed?

Agreed...sort of. 6 months of production out of 6 yrs...so I guess around 10% of the MS on the road would be an AP1 pre- facelift? 1 out of 10 ...out of which a fraction would have the exact config one would want, mileage, colour etc.

Ok not a unicorn but definitely a rare breed?

6 months of production in 2016 was still a lot of cars. Honestly I don't see how that the set of "post-refresh AP1 cars" can be called "rare". I would apply the terms "rare" or "unicorn" to something like a green dual-motor Model S (I think there are only one or two of those in the world), or an AP1 P85/P85+ (only about 300 made...I know the guy who keeps a list of all of them). There's a thread somewhere on TMC where people discussed things like what really constitutes a unicorn.

You are right that if you start specifying options like an unpopular color or unpopular options, that might narrow one's choices down quickly. That could happen back in 2015/2016 when it was still possible to specify a number of options independently, and there were more combinations of different options.

BTW I think that inventory car that the OP linked to is now gone. I don't know much about the CPO listings though.

Bruce.