TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

advice on extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by adambirozy, Aug 5, 2017.

1. adambirozy

adambirozy Member

Hello everyone

I am a new MS owner (2 months) and am slowly getting everything dialed in on my car. I have a pearl white 75 with black leather interior. I have recently tinted the windows, had a clear bra with the nano-tech coating applied and it looks great.

Now I am wondering if I should get the extended warranty? I did not opt for it at the time of purchase, but was told I have 180 days to add it. I have always purchased it on my other cars, but in 4 cars, have maybe taken advantage of it once or twice.

My gut reaction is that with a car that is big on tech, it would be a wise investment, but dont know. I would appreciate any opinions, especially from those with older MS's who may know what can and will go wrong.

Thanks.

Adam Birozy

2. mathman

mathman Member

I might be mistaken, but I thought that you were able to add the extended service plan until either 30 days from your 50K warranty ran out, or 1,000 miles, whichever came first. I didn't get it because I don't anticipate that I will have a failure that amounts to the price of the warranty. I suppose it comes down to whether you want to (or can) self-insure or not. Also, there are considerable limitations on the ESP. Look at those first. Also, remember the deductible per visit of $200.

• Like x 1
  3. Tam

Tam Active Member

You might be confused the timeline of Maintenance Plans (annual inspection) and Extended Service Agreement (extended warranty).

Any how, with any kind of insurance system, most payers are fine, but a few might suffer catastrophic expensive repair bills.

If you can personally absorb potential expensive repair bills then, there's no need to pay for Extended Service Agreement.

• Like x 3
  4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

With the extended warranty (or any insurance), the idea is that if all goes well, you are only out the premium. If it doesn't go well, you've saved a lot. Whether to get it or not depends (like Tam says) on whether you can easily absorb the possible repair bills. If you have no problem doing that, then don't bother with the warranty because there's a good chance you'll pay less than the premiums. If you can't then you'll have peace of mind.

• Like x 2
  5. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

You can also consider it an interest free $4k loan to Tesla that you can get back if you want to cancel the warranty by 50k miles. This way if you sell the car say at 45k miles you can give the buyer the choice of with or without warranty and if it's without just cash it in.