Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on how to best "tow" luggage on the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
In about two weeks time, I will be picking up my family of 5 from the airport which will take up all the seats.

Since family is coming from overseas, they will have a lot of luggage with them.

Any tips/advice on how to best utilize the towing capabilities of the Model X to store the luggage that would be impossible to fit in the remaining trunk space?

I have the tow hitch installed.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would personally rather tow a small trailer (metal sided, like one of the one Bjorn's showed in his trailer demos?) than put all that weight on the hitch with a 'rear platform' attachment. Renting one for a day or two would be my answer, with the least strain on the hitch attachment!

Reactions: mongo
Do you have a minivan or a friend who does? It gets the job done as overseas passengers + luggage hauler. The X can stay as human hauler.

The Sienna was able to fit 3 adults, 2 kids (with car seats), some large luggages, carry ons, stroller, and an extra car seat (in its original box) used oversea.

Reactions: MXWing
I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G4Z5J0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that I'm happy with. I though that it would crush aerodynamics but it's not as bad as I had feared -- mostly stays in the slipstream I guess. You might also get one of these to go with it if you don't live in a clement climate . . . https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MGTS1WW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No issues with blocking the rear camera?

I have used a “cargo carrier” before as suggested by IdaX. However the problem with the OEM hitch is that it only supports something like 120 points tongue weight. That means after the ~60 pounds for the carrier you can likely only put 40-50 pounds until you are in the danger zone.

I installed a full DrawTite hitch which can support a crazy amount of weight and is much more structurally sound than the stock hitch.

What's wrong with a small trailer - I'm planning to tow a 12kw deisel generator behind mine - for those longer trips into Scotland - no Superchargers in the Highlands !
There are some CHAdeMo well on the way up. I'm planning a trip through Scotland this summer and am hopefully renting a Model S for the journey. PlugShare showed quite a few options that seem to be much better than towing a generator. As someone who has towed plenty with my X, I assure you that the convenience offered by the generator's presence will be dwarfed by the inconvenience of towing and stowing it, not to mention parking and range effects.

Another vote from me for renting a small trailer. I've gotten them for as low as $15 from u-haul. The carrier sounds good in theory and I searched high and low for one that was lightweight. It goes down to ~35lbs, costs a fortune, and gets really small. It just isn't enough for what you may be trying to do since luggage weighs ~30lbs on average and the average carrier is ~60lbs. That's 2 bags that can go on the hitch. If that's all you need, then that should be ok. But if you need more, go for the trailer.

Eventually I bought a small trailer after renting for a while. Best addition to my X. Now that I have it, I use it more frequently than I ever thought I would and when I know I don't need it; it acts as a storage shed for all the stuff in my garage.

No issues with blocking the rear camera?
It does block the rear camera -- though you can use it then to keep an eye on the basket to make sure your stuff is okay ;)

Biggest issue though it now occurs to me: it shows up on the rear ultrasonic sensors. So it bings like crazy when you put the car into reverse ("OMG you're about to hit something that's just 20cm away! OMG you're about to hit something that's just 20cm away! OMG it's right there it's so close stop right now OMG"). AND -- and this is kind of a super-bummer -- because the ultrasonics are triggered the car won't auto-lane-change in AP2 (no info on AP1). Not the end of the world, I suppose, but definitely a negative when taking it on long trips.

I have a trailer, too, and I find the basket preferable when the stuff that you have can really fit into it. For instance, I can back into a supercharger spot with the basket on and charge without having to remove it, which you can't do with a trailer. YMMV.

It does block the rear camera -- though you can use it then to keep an eye on the basket to make sure your stuff is okay ;)

Biggest issue though it now occurs to me: it shows up on the rear ultrasonic sensors. So it bings like crazy when you put the car into reverse ("OMG you're about to hit something that's just 20cm away! OMG you're about to hit something that's just 20cm away! OMG it's right there it's so close stop right now OMG"). AND -- and this is kind of a super-bummer -- because the ultrasonics are triggered the car won't auto-lane-change in AP2 (no info on AP1). Not the end of the world, I suppose, but definitely a negative when taking it on long trips.

I have a trailer, too, and I find the basket preferable when the stuff that you have can really fit into it. For instance, I can back into a supercharger spot with the basket on and charge without having to remove it, which you can't do with a trailer. YMMV.
AP1 has the same restriction when the parking sensors are not available. No lane change.

You can enable tow mode to get rid of the alerts, but that also disables all of AP so it may not be desirable on longer trips. For short trips, it at least quiets down the ding dings.

Another vote from me for renting a small trailer. I've gotten them for as low as $15 from u-haul. The carrier sounds good in theory and I searched high and low for one that was lightweight. It goes down to ~35lbs, costs a fortune, and gets really small. It just isn't enough for what you may be trying to do since luggage weighs ~30lbs on average and the average carrier is ~60lbs. That's 2 bags that can go on the hitch. If that's all you need, then that should be ok. But if you need more, go for the trailer.

Eventually I bought a small trailer after renting for a while. Best addition to my X. Now that I have it, I use it more frequently than I ever thought I would and when I know I don't need it; it acts as a storage shed for all the stuff in my garage.

Yes I am thinking this is going to be the way to go. Do you mind elaborating a bit on what the process would be like to get a trailer from UHaul? Could they be trusted to hook up everything and ensure it's secure?

Also may I ask the trailer you went with? I like to research but I think I will be hard pressed to find something better than what you use since you put a lot of effort into all the possibilities. :)

Yes I am thinking this is going to be the way to go. Do you mind elaborating a bit on what the process would be like to get a trailer from UHaul? Could they be trusted to hook up everything and ensure it's secure?

Also may I ask the trailer you went with? I like to research but I think I will be hard pressed to find something better than what you use since you put a lot of effort into all the possibilities. :)

Well I spent a lot of time trying to convince Uhaul to let me buy one of their 5x8s lol. If you can manage it, I would recommend it. The process was just like renting a truck, they didn’t do the hookup for me, but it’s easy.

First you’ll need to make sure you have everything. You already have the tow package, you’ll need a ball mount. I won’t get into Best worst, there’s some pricey ones that measure tongue weight. I went cheap - harbor freight $10 got me a 2” ball mount (Plenty of 20%-25% off coupons) that fits the exact specifications of our hitch. (0 rise/ 8” length”)

Then it’s a matter of alignment, turning a jack, and hooking a set of chains. It sounds a lot more intimidating than it is - recommend going to YouTube to see some videos.

As for trailer. I researched a ton and wanted a Wells Cargo with a flip top removable roof (MPT581 ~$4000). But those were pricey. I ended up buying a used 4x8 V-Nose for about the same as some of the hitch carriers. It has a drop down ramp, which I highly recommend and has been large enough for most everything.

10BFD431-087B-4F14-B422-2571917D679F.jpeg

I go back and forth about wanting a lower one for better aerodynamics, but I do like the extra height while having protection from the elements. The thing with towing, it’s intimidating to think about and read about. Jump into it and it’s not bad at all.

Last edited:
Trailer sounds great but will hurt range. A cargo carrier won't impact range much, but is limited to 120lbs total. So don't get that Rambler one linked above. It's a good solid unit but also weighs 70-80lbs - empty! If you opt for a carrier, get one of the innumerable aluminum options instead, which are 25-30lbs.

Well I spent a lot of time trying to convince Uhaul to let me buy one of their 5x8s lol. If you can manage it, I would recommend it.

The process was just like renting a truck, they didn’t do the hookup for me, but it’s easy.

First you’ll need to make sure you have everything. You already have the tow package, you’ll need a ball mount. I won’t get into Best worst, there’s some pricey ones that measure rogue weight. I went cheap - harbor freight $10 got me a 2” ball mount that fits the exact specifications of our hitch. (0 rise/ 8” length”)

Then it’s a matter of alignment, turning a jack, and hooking a set of chains. It sounds a lot more intimidating than it is - recommend going to YouTube to see some videos.

As for trailer. I researched a ton and wanted a Wells Cargo with a flip top removable roof. But those were pricey. I ended up buying a used 4x8 V-Nose for about the same as somebody hitch carriers. It has a drop down ramp, which I highly recommend and has been large enough for most everything.

View attachment 280559

I go back and forth about wanting a lower one for better aerodynamics, but I do like the extra height while having protection from the elements. But the thing with towing, it’s intimidating to think about and read about. But jump into it and it’s not bad at all.

I LOVE IT. Though 100% sure I get stopped at LAX with that. :)

That looks spacious enough to live in. Need time to ponder the possibilities. :D

Appreciate the advice - so much creatively you put into this.

I LOVE IT. Though 100% sure I get stopped at LAX with that. :)

That looks spacious enough to live in. Need time to ponder the possibilities. :D

Appreciate the advice - so much creatively you put into this.

Or at least have a tough time getting through traffic, I didn't start out intending to get that large of a trailer. I started wanting a MPT461, then a MPT581..then you know the rest. Take a look at the MPT461, you can find used ones for about $1000. They're about the size of a pickup bed of a compact pickup.
mpt461-frontL.jpg

Wow that's big all right but it's a total parachute. You could drop as low as half your rated range with that thing -- worse in headwinds or fast freeway...

As low as? Try 900+ wh/mi going 75mph in 30 degree weather. About 400wh/mi @ 45mph in 50 degrees.