Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on how to delay pickup of model x to get 2021 version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted in another thread but figured new thread may get advice.

I have an x on order w plan for delivery saturday w an L vin. Worried I wont be getting a 2021 w increased range. What are the options? I already paid tesla the downpayment on the loan and uploaded the insurance in the portal but havent taken delivery. Is it possible to tell them I dont want this one and wait for a 2021 version? Do i have to pay a penalty?

I would speak with your sales advisor and see what they say. I picked up my Model X 2 weeks ago and don’t have the H battery or L vin . Hopefully since my car was built in September it’s just a software update to recently built cars that allow for the increase range. Otherwise my car already is outdated 2 weeks Into ownership . Love the car though and 20 miles won’t make a difference 98% of the time.

The range difference in real-world driving will be minimal. Remember the sticker mileage is based on the EPA test driving cycles. They are artificial and have aspects, like 60 mph max on the Highway test, that likely does not match your real-world driving.

Personally, I would just get the car and enjoy it. They are great. And in the real-world 20-30 miles is more range will likely seldom be achieved or even used. Biologic needs like restroom and food, and the physical spacing of Superchargers will define when you stop.

Reactions: Vitaman
Posted in another thread but figured new thread may get advice.

I have an x on order w plan for delivery saturday w an L vin. Worried I wont be getting a 2021 w increased range. What are the options? I already paid tesla the downpayment on the loan and uploaded the insurance in the portal but havent taken delivery. Is it possible to tell them I dont want this one and wait for a 2021 version? Do i have to pay a penalty?

Ask your OA. In the past, they have been able to move your deposit to the next car without a fee.

Just tell them that you want to be unmatched to the VIN. They will hand onto your money and apply it to the next VIN. Word of caution though, in order for them to unmatch you, they will put your order on hold. Wait a week or two (or three) and follow up with your SA and confirm that your order is not on hold.

Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Just tell them that you want to be unmatched to the VIN. They will hand onto your money and apply it to the next VIN. Word of caution though, in order for them to unmatch you, they will put your order on hold. Wait a week or two (or three) and follow up with your SA and confirm that your order is not on hold.
Thank you. This is what advisor said. Sounds like they hve to unmatch for a few weeks otherwise they will rematch u

I think the issue is less about the VIN and more about the battery pack. I bought a 2020 (confirmed L VIN) that was built in September and I picked it up on September 30th that has the H pack, which others have learned, does have a larger battery pack, making it eligible for the increased range. With one of the recent software updates we got the boost in range.

The issue will be figuring out which battery pack that VIN has, which you can probably only learn by looking at the sticker behind the front passenger wheel.

I think the issue is less about the VIN and more about the battery pack. I bought a 2020 (confirmed L VIN) that was built in September and I picked it up on September 30th that has the H pack, which others have learned, does have a larger battery pack, making it eligible for the increased range. With one of the recent software updates we got the boost in range.

The issue will be figuring out which battery pack that VIN has, which you can probably only learn by looking at the sticker behind the front passenger wheel.

Same here. Picked up in early Oct and got the update for the increased range, but it's an L VIN.