Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on ICU / MCU issues (S90D 2017)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you; very informative.

We have two early 2017's, both with the "yellow bar" issues. As for the other glitches, we have those very rarely but would suspect they are MCU issues too.

For now, we wait however. Since the labor for the swap would already be covered under warranty, we would really prefer the new, upgraded MCU for a better, faster, experience but Tesla has yet to provide a price on that, despite Elon's Tweet of about two months ago:

https://electrek.co/2018/03/27/tesla-mcu-retrofits-new-software-update-elon-musk/

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/978665254329569280?lang=en

It could be many more months?

Yeah, didn't want to wait here for mainly one reason: I didn't know if the car was safe to drive. I'm often alone in my car and I don't do very long trips usually so it wouldn't have bothered me. But I'm soon on holidays and didn't want to take any risk driving more than 3k kilometers accross Europe with my two daughters and my girlfriend with me.

Initially, the appointement was scheduled for after my holidays (despite me asking for it to be before for 2 months...) so I told them that I wanted a written confirmation that the car was safe to drive and that they'll take full responsability in case of any accident that might be related to the described issues. As soon as I asked that, they rescheduled the appointement to before my holidays... ;)

Got the car back today.

So, what the SC did is:
  • Change the whole MCU unit (including the flatscreen)
    Invoice says: "MCU,MDLSX,EU/JPN/HK/MC/TW/SK,LTE RMN (1098050-00-D)"
    (it's the old MCU, but I couldn't find another ref to this PN)
  • Drained and refilled coolant system of the HV Battery
  • Found multiple problems with firmware, so performed Firmware update after repair
  • Removed battery pack, and installed new one
    Invoice says: "ASY,HV BATTERY,90KWH,SX (1088790-00-A)"
    (it's the exact same PN as my original battery)
At least they finally took my issues really seriously.

I only drove a couple of km this morning so can't tell yet if there's any difference with the car. My concern at this time is that all custom settings are gone (including nav favorites, radio stations, seat positions, etc).