Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on large phone fast wireless charger for 2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 that I ran my own usb wires from the center console lighter to support fast charging.

I have a Samsung S20 plus, which means that any charger that comes with a "ledge" at the bottom means the phone won't fit unless I remove the case.i have a charging pad without the ledge, but it doesn't support fast charging.

Any suggestions?

If you're still looking, the Jeda Wireless Pad v4 will probably work best for you: Tesla Model 3 and Model Y Wireless Phone Charger - Jeda Products
$20 off right now through 30 November 2021 with code NOV20

I've had the Nomad wireless pad for years and love it (far superior to Jeda v1 at the time, which I returned), but I am also about to get a larger phone (Pixel 6 Pro) which won't fit on the Nomad so I plan to switch to the Jeda v4.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
If you're still looking, the Jeda Wireless Pad v4 will probably work best for you: Tesla Model 3 and Model Y Wireless Phone Charger - Jeda Products
$20 off right now through 30 November 2021 with code NOV20

I've had the Nomad wireless pad for years and love it (far superior to Jeda v1 at the time, which I returned), but I am also about to get a larger phone (Pixel 6 Pro) which won't fit on the Nomad so I plan to switch to the Jeda v4.

This is timely, thanks. I also have the nomad (for the same reason you mention, actually). I also just got the pixel 6 pro, so was looking for a replacement charging pad.

The coupon code doesnt work for me either, but I am going to hang on till black friday and see if one appears. It also looks like this jeda V4 is new. I went to nomad's website but it doesnt look like they make one any longer.

Looks like Black Friday prices are now active. You save $20 but the $11.99 shipping kills it.

I ordered it anyway. It apparently is backordered "till 1st week of december"... but I have definitely seen threads here of people getting frustrated about jeda backorder products before. They seem to eventually get them, though. Shrug. I dont expect it till close to christmas. If it comes sooner, cool.

My advice is to forget the wireless charging as it’s so much slower than corded! I’ve tried two systems in mine. The OEM is crap and hardly ever works. The other brand connects better but is still super slow. I gave up.

Jeda is trash, horrible product quality/longevity and CS is even worse.
YMMV !!! I have a Jeda for three years with no problem.

I use it for my Galaxy Note 8 on Landscape mode.
I have a sturdy bumper phone case and my phone was too tall otherwise on Portrait mode.

The dimensions of my phone with the bumper cover are:

Length:   174 mm  (6" 7/8")​
Width:    86 mm  (3" 3/8")​
Thickness:   10 mm   (3/8")​

To get a better speed, I connected it directly to the auxilliary 12 V plug using an USB adapter,
instead of using the UBS plugs located undeneath the wireless charger pad.

Note: I think the problem that some people have is that the UBS plug from Tesla
don't provide enought power for the two wireless chargers coils located inside the pad.

I used the Android Ampere App to measure the current when charging the phone.
Using the Tesla USB plug, I measured about 200 mA and my phone charging light indicator was often blinking,
while using the 12 V USB adapter I was getting over 1 Amp, depending on my phone SOC, and my charging light indicator was steady.

So no problem with the charger. The two coils are independent, so I would recommend connecting only the left side,
to save some load from the Tesla USB plug, so only the left Portrait and the horizontal Landscape will be energized.

Last edited:
YMMV !!! I have a Jeda for three years with no problem.

I use it for my Galaxy Note 8 on Landscape mode.
I have a sturdy bumper phone case and my phone was too tall otherwise on Portrait mode.

The dimensions of my phone with the bumper cover are:

Length:   174 mm  (6" 7/8")​
Width:    86 mm  (3" 3/8")​
Thickness:   10 mm   (3/8")​

To get a better speed, I connected it directly to the auxilliary 12 V plug using an USB adapter,
instead of using the UBS plugs located undeneath the wireless charger pad.

Note: I think the problem that some people have is that the UBS plug from Tesla
don't provide enought power for the two wireless chargers coils located inside the pad.

I used the Android Ampere App to measure the current when charging the phone.
Using the Tesla USB plug, I measured about 200 mA and my phone charging light indicator was often blinking,
while using the 12 V USB adapter I was getting over 1 Amp, depending on my phone SOC, and my charging light indicator was steady.

So no problem with the charger. The two coils are independent, so I would recommend connecting only the left side,
to save some load from the Tesla USB plug, so only the left Portrait and the horizontal Landscape will be energized.

Regardless of your experience, I can’t for the life of me understand why they are still using MicroUSB. Just that alone makes it impossible to get any kind of fast charging, and for the price that’s unacceptable.

Reactions: dfjkl
Regardless of your experience, I can’t for the life of me understand why they are still using MicroUSB. Just that alone makes it impossible to get any kind of fast charging, and for the price that’s unacceptable.
Well, unless I'm wrong, since in my case this was three years ago, but at that time the USB 2.0 to MicroUSB cables were provided.

Jeda wires.jpg

I did use some USB Splitters to separate the Data from the Power to install an USB memory for my Dashcam.
However, the right Jeda USB is directly connected to the USB 12 V adapter, see below, using a 3 ft USB extension.

USB Splitter .jpg

And I used an USB 2.0 to SD card for the Dashcam.

USB Adapter for SD Card.jpg

I would recommend using an High Endurance MicroSDXC Card to avoid any failure from overheating.

SD Card Memory .jpg

I used the following 12 V to USB adapter, as it allows to check the voltage of the 12 V battery,
it has fast USB plug, and it provides switches to turn on and off accessories.

12 V to USB Adapter with accessories switches  .jpg

Also, for rear seat USB plug, I would recommend adding an angled USB cable to avoid having the plug damaged by the knee of a passenger.

USB Ext Angle .jpg

Last edited:
Bought the v4 Jeda for my 2018 M3. Waited the 6 weeks for the thing to ship so a November order got it here about a week ago. Installed it and am looking to return -- it gets my iphone x so hot (no case) the phone dims the screen so much when I pick it up off the mat I can barely use it. Also, I read as the internal temp increases the phone decreases charging so probably not even performing basic function. Saw all the $20-40 models on Amazon and avoided them precisely for these fears. BTW, my phone charges just fine with no overheat problem in my wife's Y which is factory equipped with wireless charging. So does her phone which is several models older than my phone.

I ordered the jeda wireless charger during black friday. It took till the beginning of January to come in. I installed it, and found that it only charges my Google pixel 6 pro on the right side ( Passenger side, while sitting in the drivers sdeat) of the charging pad, no matter what I do.

They also sent me USB A to micro USB cables that do not stay in the charging pad on the back. I contacted them via their email, and after a few days they responded and said they would send me out some replacement cables, but I ordered some from amazon as well because I didnt want to wait.

Still same result, google pixel 6 pro only charges on the right (passenger side) of the pad. Doesnt charge on the drivers side, and also does not charge in landscape mode. My iPhone 11 charges in all three positions, so I am not quite sure what is going on here. I did some googling and then found other people talking about this exact problem (google pixel 6 pro only charging on the right side of the jeda pad) with no resolution.

I have reached out to jeda for guidance on this and not received a response, and its been over a week. I am usually pretty patient and supporting on this type of stuff, but admit I am a bit frustrated here about this product.

I ordered the jeda wireless charger during black friday. It took till the beginning of January to come in. I installed it, and found that it only charges my Google pixel 6 pro on the right side ( Passenger side, while sitting in the drivers sdeat) of the charging pad, no matter what I do.

They also sent me USB A to micro USB cables that do not stay in the charging pad on the back. I contacted them via their email, and after a few days they responded and said they would send me out some replacement cables, but I ordered some from amazon as well because I didnt want to wait.

Still same result, google pixel 6 pro only charges on the right (passenger side) of the pad. Doesnt charge on the drivers side, and also does not charge in landscape mode. My iPhone 11 charges in all three positions, so I am not quite sure what is going on here. I did some googling and then found other people talking about this exact problem (google pixel 6 pro only charging on the right side of the jeda pad) with no resolution.

I have reached out to jeda for guidance on this and not received a response, and its been over a week. I am usually pretty patient and supporting on this type of stuff, but admit I am a bit frustrated here about this product.
Doesn't fill me with confidence :rolleyes:. I could see it if it were a $25 job from Amazon, but at Jeda prices, think that's pretty bogus. Would powering the pad from the cig lighter with an adapter make any difference? I saw somewhere someone did that for faster charging - more power seems like it may only exacerbate the problem. Not to mention the cost of the adapter, etc ... what a bummer.

Doesn't fill me with confidence :rolleyes:. I could see it if it were a $25 job from Amazon, but at Jeda prices, think that's pretty bogus. Would powering the pad from the cig lighter with an adapter make any difference? I saw somewhere someone did that for faster charging - more power seems like it may only exacerbate the problem. Not to mention the cost of the adapter, etc ... what a bummer.

It could be a power delivery thing, but I did not want to run cables to the 12V adapter in the armrest.

I did go through and check things like swapping the cables to see if it changed the side it would charge on (it didnt), plugging and checking plugging into the USB A ports directly (Phone to USB A port using an appropriate cable) to see if the phone would charge directly from the ports (it did, from both ports) so I dont think my USB ports are the issue.

I didnt really care too much about charging speed, I bought the jeda one to try to avoid this exact problem, because I didnt want "cheap knockoff" from amazon. I have a nomad pad that works, that I bought back when I got my car in 2018. The only problem there is that the pixel 6 pro doesnt FIT that pad, because of the lip on it. Phone is just a little too big for it.

I had also ordered the jeda hub and jeda tray, which havent come yet. These are different products so its not like I think they automatically wont work, but like I said, I am a bit frustrated with this pad. I mean, I can use it by putting my pixel 6 pro on the passenger side, and my iPhone 11 on the drivers side, so I can "make it work". My pixel is my personal phone and my iPhone is my work phone, so I use my iPhone much more.

Its just frustrating because I bought this pad to address the specific problem of size of phone and wanting to use landscape mode for the pixel 6 pro, and I cant do either of those things.