Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on must-haves & model year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is all good stuff. Of course, I want it all but will have to make some decisions. About the salvage, I may be using the incorrect term. The airbags did not deploy. According to the current owner, there was no structural damage. He replaced the suspension damage, fender & bumper cover. He has pictures of the structure/frame with the parts removed that show no damage. He said Tesla has been to his house to do some warranty things since the repair & it was no issue.

This is one you want to be very clear on. Salvage means the insurance company paid out to scrap the car at some point. That can happen without the airbags going off. If you're considering a private sale, maybe you can take the VIN to the Service Center and confirm it's not a blacklist car? Or look at the title?

Reactions: Amykelly
Great suggestion. His words were "rebuilt title". It was hit in front right, damaged suspension and bumper. I have the VIN #. Will Tesla give me that information or is there a way I can look it up?

Rebuilt title is another version of salvage title - different states use slightly different language. Unless he can present proof that a Tesla certified body shop recertified the car, I would suggest walking away. You don't need the headaches that might come up later, and you can't count on the warranty.

I've never done any of this. I don't think there's anywhere online you can look it up (Carfax and the like will presumably show the accident, but not what you need to know.) If I were thinking about it, I think I'd walk in to my nearest service center with the VIN and explain the situation and see what they can tell you.

As Saghost mentioned, the wording and procedures vary by state. But I would guess it was in an accident, and the insurance company wrote it off as totaled* so it got a salvage title. Then somebody fixed it up and had it inspected, so it got a rebuilt title.

Even with a rebuilt title, Tesla often refuses to work or supply parts. But they might after an inspection. The owner says they have, but if I were you I'd check with Tesla and make sure the car isn't "blacklisted".

*an insurance company calling a car "totaled" is purely a financial consideration - whether fixing it will cost more than selling it for salvage and replacing it. It doesn't necessarily mean the car had a lot of really bad damage. Then again, it might have! If you buy a rebuilt/salvage car, it is always best to see pictures and get receipts. And have it inspected by a mechanic that is really familiar with that brand of car.