Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on my near future purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK most of us who do not have a performance 3 say we are happy with the
LR version. We are not. I do not think that if Tesla just called it a "P" version we
would all be the big dogs in the hood. I was the first with a 3 in the hood, then some
airline guy got a performance 3. Now he is the cool guy with the custom rims and who
the heck knows maybe bear skin seats. Gota go its free shots in lockdown, what was the
question.

You can never have a car or a partner too fast.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX
Hello All. My work commute is approximately 100 miles a day (round-trip.)
Note here are some trip planner tools that can help you plan your commute (and any trips) and see how each car does.
A Better Routeplanner
EV Trip Planner

Tesla has a similar tool on their website, although it may not necessarily do as good a job factoring all the variables and doesn't show the details on how much charge would be remaining at each stop (the one in car does).
Go Anywhere | Tesla

You may need to plan out how you are going to do charging (depending on how fast your home/work charging rate will go).

There are a lots of sub-factors, so you should take some test drives and take some time to decide, consider your budget. Most of the drivers who want the latest would take good care of their cars, so you could find a used Model 3 in great shape with all the options, from a private party.

The Model S and X are an older design, more traditional. A model 3 is a futuristic sports sedan, the model Y is a futuristic small SUV, more space.

Unfortunately you can't decouple the LR battery from the dual motors, with extra cost, since you don't really get much from the extra motor. You sure don't need the Performance model, all these cars are ridiculously fast and nimble. Personally I value the "FSD" automation over other options, reducing stress and fatigue, but it depends on how you drive, and on what roads.

Last edited:
Like previously said model y has more room
I’d recommend test driving and looking at what model would suit your needs better in terms of space. With that being said both base models are fast enough if your not all that into speed as well as good enough for range for your daily commute
From what I’ve heard the white seats are able to take some abuse and most people haven’t had all to much trouble with staining and cleaning the seats, but if your a firefighter id recommend the black seats just for longevity concerns
The dual motor is nice because you get all wheel drive and a longer range/faster with the premium audio but if you don’t need those no need to consider
Overall I think you’d be happy with a standard range + model 3
Or the standard range model y
In terms of bugs if you live in a state with a lot of bugs or are on the freeways a lot then yes they can be a bit of a bug magnet but there are ways to alleviate those concerns with some coatings on the front end of the car to make cleaning easier/ keeping a bottle of cleaner/microfibre rag in the front trunk

if you’d like when your purchasing you can use my referral code to get some free supercharging
credits

You can use my referral link to get 1,500 free Supercharger km on a new Tesla:
Earn Free Supercharging Miles or a $100 Cash Award

Last edited:
Hello All. My work commute is approximately 100 miles a day (round-trip.) I am a firefighter in Florida but now I will be working days M-F. My budget is telling me to go with the Model S. If you could do it all over again....share the knowledge!
I.E. Performance vs. regular (I'm not a speed guy), interior (really? the white stays clean?) Exterior (no issues with keeping the front end bug free? Lovebugs?) dual motor...I have lots of questions before I order. I'm sure even that will generate some opinions. Thank you in advance.
First - thank you for what you do. Second - given you can charge at work, have FL climate and budget considerations- I would go for Model 3 SR+ and save some money. White seats are fine except with newer blue jeans that transfer but also clean with baby wipes.