Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on new raven 2020 purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I need advice. im coming from a LR model 3 with the boost acceleration option ( 0-60 in 3.8 sec)
Tesla has 2 cars in stock that they can sell me, both of them are White with White interior, both 2020 models

one is a LR+ 6-seater 20 inch wheels
the other is performance 7-seater 20 inch wheels

I reviewed many threads but can't seem to make up my mind. here are considerations:

we are a couple, with a very big dod ( Great Dane) no kids.
90 % of time we are 1 or 2 in the car, with or without the dog ( dog park is far away and we get there almost all the time with the dog and we want to carry him ideally in the trunk.

I really like the 6 seat config, its more sex IMHO, looks more upscale, but the seats don't fold flat and id't be nice to camp in the car ( we have a Incase mattress that we bought for model 3 and plan on doing long trips) not sure about how often id like to sleep in the car but with the 6 seater its not going to be an option. however the 7 seater could be overkill as we never carry more than 2 other adults in the car.

some people say that the 7 seater is great because of the recline capability vs the tilt only option of the 6 seater, but 6 seater seems more upscale and way more luxurious than a back bench.

i also have a question about the second and third rom A/C: will the 7 seater have the extra vents and ac system like the 6-seater, or only one like the 5-seater? did Tesla change this recently for cost-cutting measures? They seem to have downgraded a lot of things since the car came out in 2016 ( no chrome trims, front headrests are now fixed, third row sidewalls seems to be cheap plastic now comparing to leatherette, trunk plate is now plastic no more metal, etc...)

also, white interior is our most favorite interior, Tesla shows the lower part of the dashboard as being white on their website however I see videos online of Raven models having an all black leather dash even with the white interior. Is it another change they made?

So should I go with the LR 6 seater, or the perf 7 seater? ( they have a 6000$cdn discount on the perf model as its in their inventory)

I know its a lot of questions but its a way more expensive car than my m3 ;)

regards

Just my twopennies worth:

We have a 7 seater and have had it for 3 years. We want a 6 seater next. The reason: we have 4 kids. If I had 3 kids or less I would be opting for a 5 or 7 seater. The boot/trunk is massive with the third row folded down.

This is different to your requirements though. If I wanted to be camping in it and had no kids, I’d be avoiding the 6 seater since the middle row doesn’t fold.

The recline Vs tilt is neither here nor there for me in that you can sleep a bit in either, but neither are like a bed. But that’s what you have your mattress for.

The range difference between the two is negligible so nothing to consider there. Especially given both have the same wheels. But the performance difference and price difference is surely huge?

You should be getting the third row A/C vents in both of those cars (only the 5 seater doesn’t get it).

The lower part of the dash is now a dark grey on the 2020 production models, but was white on the 2019 production models. Raven applies to anything from March 2019 onwards so you’re safe with the new software tweaks to increase range (and would get cheetah mode on the performance model), but depending on production dates would depend on the lower dash. The Tesla inventory images are usually accurate for the specific cars though.

Hope this is all helpful.

I have a 7-seater (4 kids here too). I really wanted the 6-seater but am super-happy with the 7.

How well-behaved is your Great Dane? I know my dogs would use the gap between the two captains chairs of a 6-seater as an invitation to roam around. Not that easy as a Great Dane, sure, but maybe the middle row of a 7-seater would provide some level of safety?

Also, will your dog be OK not seeing you while in the back? The middle row is high and it's pretty hard to see anything behind it.

I can’t tell why you want to go to the X. Not that it matters. Based on dog needs and camping it seems like a Y would also work for you.

BUT...

The X is an amazing car. We(my wife) has the 6 seater as we have 4 kids and she likes to go places as a family all of us together. The second row seats not folding down really limits the 6 seater if you need to haul plywood or camp as you mentioned but no more so than the 3 I think. (Goes to garage to lie down in back). You can’t camp in the 6 seater as the trunk floor is higher than the floor of the second row. If you want to sleep in the X you need the second row bench.

The Model X is a pretty heavy car so the LR will feel much slower than your 3 and going from the simplicity of the 3 to the X can be tough to transition but I am a minimalist.

not sure any of that helps.

enjoy your car!

Consider just getting the standard 5 seater with the flat fold down floor.
This will give you a nice bed when camping and a huge area for your Dane.
Costs thousands less than those executive and great looking pedestal seats.

Underneath the flat fold floor is a sub basement that will provide even more room for your Dog.

Our Goldens liked riding in the back of my X much better than our previous Grand Cherokee. Not sure why, but they were much more mellow back there.

Bring a blanket that you can drap over your rear hatch area. Makes getting in and out for dogs much easier, and they do not scratch anything that way.

I have a 6 seater and I would recommend you get the 7 seater based on your situation. I'm having a ton of regrets after seeing the 6 doesn't have dedicated armests to make them true captains chairs. Here are some of the pros:

• You can lie all seats completely flat and put your mattress in there and have a ton of room for storage (ladders, etc).
  • You can fold down the 3rd row and keep the 2nd row up so that your dog isn't all over the place in the middle/rear area and only confined to the rear

Reactions: wreighven
Guys thanks so much for the inputs, great advices!
I ended up choosing a Performance 5 seater they had in inventory, not my first interior choice (black/wood-I hate the wood, may try to tint the wood black)
(Tried to have them swap the pannels for carbon fiver or another dark wood but they don’t want to)
it was a showroom/test drive car with 1000km and was given almost 30k discount And FSD on it so getting a pretty good deal I think :)
Taking delivery tomorrow (touchless delivery at home)

true that coming from a perf boosted 3 the LR would have been too slow, I had the chance to try a LR and it felt waaaaay slower just because of the weight/size of the X comparing to the 3.
I’m in love with the Falcon wings and self opening doors!
Somebody asked why I didn’t go for a Y:
Initially had placed an order for it but my 3 was modified a lot (dark Alcantara headliner, coil over suspension, sway bars etc)
I didn’t want to start that all over again with the Y which miss some of the features I really want in the perf X
(Better acceleration, FWD, more luxurious interior)
I just pray that my X won’t suffer from the infamous “shudder” I read about in the forums..
If not, I’m pretty sure I’ll be really happy
Cheers guys

Best way to avoid the shudder is to run with the air suspension on low. That changes the angle the torque is transfered, and seems to protect the driveline. Car looks great a little lowered as well :)

There are Tesla dismantelers that often have interior trim wood panels for sale reasonably. Understand it can be a DIY swap with on line helpful videos.

Enjoy your new X.

Guys thanks so much for the inputs, great advices!
I ended up choosing a Performance 5 seater they had in inventory, not my first interior choice (black/wood-I hate the wood, may try to tint the wood black)
(Tried to have them swap the pannels for carbon fiver or another dark wood but they don’t want to)
it was a showroom/test drive car with 1000km and was given almost 30k discount And FSD on it so getting a pretty good deal I think :)
Taking delivery tomorrow (touchless delivery at home)

true that coming from a perf boosted 3 the LR would have been too slow, I had the chance to try a LR and it felt waaaaay slower just because of the weight/size of the X comparing to the 3.
I’m in love with the Falcon wings and self opening doors!
Somebody asked why I didn’t go for a Y:
Initially had placed an order for it but my 3 was modified a lot (dark Alcantara headliner, coil over suspension, sway bars etc)
I didn’t want to start that all over again with the Y which miss some of the features I really want in the perf X
(Better acceleration, FWD, more luxurious interior)
I just pray that my X won’t suffer from the infamous “shudder” I read about in the forums..
If not, I’m pretty sure I’ll be really happy
Cheers guys

What did you end up paying with the discount?