Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on Repair due to sideswiped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got sideswiped on the highway yesterday and the damage include few scratches on passenger side and wheel, broken side mirror and dents.
I live in an area where there’s no certified tesla body shop ( nearest is 140 miles away) so I was wondering if any body shop will work with these damages and should I also check the entire vehicle overall for aditional invisible damages though it might not be possible soon. I’m just worried about the parts and matching paints.
378A9F06-15A9-482C-BB0A-6A4302AC9A45.jpeg
FFD230DA-2827-478B-8B0E-BA1B52EE63C0.jpeg
812D8440-01AF-4C0D-8E50-EFF425832209.jpeg
03E6140E-721A-46F0-AA6B-E586C97229B6.jpeg

I'm sure a non-Tesla shop could do the work, and no reason not to get some quotes, but I'd also get a quote from a certified shop, even considering the distance. The problem with a non-certified shop is access to parts, which might make for a superior outcome. I understand the distance is a nuisance, but you have to live with the consequences of the repair for as long as you own the car. Could be well worth having to drive there a couple of times.

Upvote 0
I’ll never understand what a “Tesla certified” body shop is required for anything unrelated to the HV system.

The distinction is created by Tesla itself refusing to sell parts to "non-certified" body shops.

The car doesn’t have special doors or special wheels.

Nope, it does not.
It's a purely artificial problem created by Tesla itself, which has monopolized the replacement parts supply chain and has created artificial bottlenecks in the vehicle repair industry for the Tesla owners. Some body shops have figured out how to work-around Tesla's restrictions and sources things directly from the suppliers.
Most body shops just don't want to bother with Teslas altogether.

Owners are left holding the bag with long repair times, and higher repair and (consequently) insurance bills in the end.

a

Reactions: davewill and glide
Upvote 0
The distinction is created by Tesla itself refusing to sell parts to "non-certified" body shops.

Nope, it does not.
It's a purely artificial problem created by Tesla itself, which has monopolized the replacement parts supply chain and has created artificial bottlenecks in the vehicle repair industry for the Tesla owners. Some body shops have figured out how to work-around Tesla's restrictions and sources things directly from the suppliers.
Most body shops just don't want to bother with Teslas altogether.

Owners are left holding the bag with long repair times, and higher repair and (consequently) insurance bills in the end.

a
I only had my M3 for less than 3 months and it's still under warranty. I heard that going to a "non" certified Tesla shop is a violation of my warranty and it will be voided.

Upvote 0